Getting Through Rouen (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We're on our way back now (booo!). Coming up the A13 and need to get through or round Rouen. Have bypassed it completely before but it takes time, so have not been through it (or any major French city) before. Is it straightforward and what is the most straightforward route?

Also we need a campsite or aire not too close to Calais but no more than an hour away. Early morning tunnel crossing on Saturday assuming no holdups.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
beware the low tunnel, best pay the small toll and bypass it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Ummm.... not heard of that before. Where is it? Another scarey bit of info that makes me want to avoid Rouen like the plague.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ummm.... not heard of that before. Where is it? Another scarey bit of info that makes me want to avoid Rouen like the plague.

There are at least 2 underpasses with under 3m height, you can go round on an island but once in the underpass you are stuffed.

Tombo

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
I am not too far from you and as I have plenty of time will go direct to Le Havre and then follow the coast to Boulogne sur Mer where I will spend the night.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Go round! There is a campsite at Guines about 15 minutes from Calais we've used before.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

I used to, but now have it sussed.(y)

we just stick east of the river and go via the D6015 to pick up N154

Works a treat that does. (y) Mind you gets a bit misty first thing in the morning some times.

No no no
The new road is open new bridge takes you straight over the river and away. Its dead easy now not worth třying to avoid just follow signs and go straight through.

As Forestboy said from the North it is straight down ,over bridge & turn left . No problems with height .

The direction you are coming from on A13 stay on it & it becomes the E5 follow that to Moulineaux & bear left on N138 continue on & stay left on N338 which will lead on to the Boulevard de l´europe & that will take you right up to the new bride, Pont Mathilde, over the Seine. Tunnels other side, Rocade Nord-Est , have a 4,5m max height.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Also we need a campsite or aire not too close to Calais but no more than an hour away.
There is an aire with a nice view out over the sea at Boulogne-sur-Mer. 44km south of Calais.

It is on the north side of the town, on the D940 heading south just after the roundabout where the D96 goes of to the west.
50.744250, 1.597650

If approaching from the south, follow the A16 round the east side of the town, then left onto the D96 at J32. Follow the road to the roundabout, then turn left & go down the hill towards the town. The aire is on your right.

Fills up quite quickly, so don't arrive too late, especially if you want to get a spot with a sea view. About 5.50 euros, I think. Cash collected in the evening if you are early, about 8-30am if they miss you the night before. Bread van (estate car actually) comes round in the morning.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
SatNav took us straight through Rouen from A13 via E402 and N28 the last two times, and didn't go anywhere near those low tunnels on the river bank. A few traffic lights, yes, but no major bother.

Alternatively you can head up towards Honfleur and cross the Pont de Normandie.

Aires within reach of Calais include Wissant (west) and Gravelines (east), both about 30 minutes from the port. Aim to get there in good time though, they're becoming increasingly popular.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Now the bridge is reopened getting through Rouen is not too bad at all. It does of course depend on the time of day your travelling through.

For overnighting we always stop at Baie de Somme aire. About an hour away from Calais, lovely quiet location.

Cheers
Al.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Went through both ways in June, easy peasy, all you have to remember if you see a roundabout with an underpass don't take the underpass but saying that it clearly displays the height or lack of

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Went through twice in June. Once across the fancy bridge...very French but seems to work well and on coming back through the city. The low underpasses are very well signposted and are easily avoided by simply going by the surface roundabout, all very easy for any rufty tufty motorhomers.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
For overnighting we always stop at Baie de Somme aire. About an hour away from Calais, lovely quiet location.

Last time we stopped at Baie de Somme over Easter there were police signs up warning about increased levels of crime there. We have used that aire for years with the caravan & MHs but won't be doing so again in the near future :(

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
We drove straight through three weeks ago no problems at all just follow the signs for Calais,
we stopped for a couple of nights at Guines about 20 min drive to port, nice site.

Kevan

yellabellyex

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Lincoln area
Funster No
MH
Bespoke PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Keep your eyes peeled or your roof will be, in more than one place.
I agree; STAY ABOVE GROUND whatever you do! Ours is 2.65M to top of rooflights etc and I had a nervous moment or two on one of the underpasses
regards
alan b

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
This was our route South a few weeks ago, worked well. Just read backwards if going North

Think the toll was about 8 Euros for Abbeyville and 3 Euros at Rouen

1. Leave Calais on the A16 / E402 motorway following signs for Boulogne, Amiens. Toll section starts just before Boulogne.
2. Just before Abbeville, take the free A28 / E402 motorway to Rouen.
3. Entering Rouen the A28 becomes the N28. Follow on down through the tunnel, then across the Seine.
4. After that, follow signs for Paris and Evreux then Evreux & Orleans. You will join the A13 motorway west of Rouen.
5. About 10 km south or Rouen, leave the A13 motorway for the A154 motorway. Toll section starts at the intersection.
Then follow the A154 > N154 dual carriageway almost to Dreux.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I cannot recommend a route but I wish we had known how to avoid it! Mrs T our Tom Tom took us through the centre of Rouen today On our way to Abbeville ! By the time we realised what was happening it was too late . We were in the thick of lunchtime traffic in a heatwave ...even our cab aircon could not cope very well . We asked for the quickest route ....Go figure ...we have to tame her somehow !

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Nope ! To day we just wanted to get from A to B as quickly as poss ...but Mrs T had other ideas . Anyone else out there with a rebellious Tom Tom ?

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Last time we stopped at Baie de Somme over Easter there were police signs up warning about increased levels of crime there. We have used that aire for years with the caravan & MHs but won't be doing so again in the near future :(

Thanks for the warning, didn't realise. I've stayed there half dozen times and always found it nice and quiet. Never seen any problems.

Cheers
Al.

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
Drove through 2 weeks ago that's my 3rd time through Rouen on the way home never a problem if you slow down and follow the signs to where you want to head this time dieppe last twice Calais I wonder if some struggle because they don't want to pay the 3 euro toll and get taken off the main route .. Just a thought

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back