Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All.

We have a Hymer PVC and I've lost the ability to have mains power due to me mucking about with the trip switch!

I wonder if anyone can help me resolve the issue?

IMG_1738.jpg
IMG_1738.jpg

In the photo you can see what Hymer call the Fault Current Protection Switch. In the top right there is a white "Test" push button which I understood that should be used to test the system occasionally.

I think the idea is you push this and the trip switches off. So far so good. Well I did that but I now can't get it to re-set and so have no mains power to the van. The test switch remains pushed in and the trip switches off as soon as I connect to the mains.

I've tried 2 different cables and two adapters so I don't think the problem lies there.

One thought was that I am connected at home via the normal hook up lead with a three pin adapter on the end. Could it be that the van "doesn't like" this type of set up and all will be well when I use a hook up on a site?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received (not too technical please!).

Many thanks,

Jules

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It looks like the test button is stuck in which won't be helping. Gently jiggle it with something and try and get it to pop back out. If it won't pop out then the RCD in knackered. Either replace it or get someone else to replace it if you aren't sure what to do.

If you can get it to pop out then try and reset that device (the RCD) If it resets then try and rest the other one (MCB)

If the RCD trips or won't reset then unplug/disconnect anything that's plugged in or runs on 230v and try again.

If it still won't reset then you've developed a wiring fault somewhere or possibly the RCD is knackered. If you don't already know what to do at this point then it's time to call in someone who does.

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hi NickNic.

Thank you so much for your help. I did as you said and jiggled the Test switch and eventually it popped out and now all seems to be OK. Power is restored :)

I won't be pushing that button again anytime soon and will get the dealer to have look when it goes in for some minor warranty work soon.

Jules

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Is the front cover a bit loose as the left hand screw prominent compared to the other side ? this could be the cause of the button sticking.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi NickNic.

Thank you so much for your help. I did as you said and jiggled the Test switch and eventually it popped out and now all seems to be OK. Power is restored :)

I won't be pushing that button again anytime soon and will get the dealer to have look when it goes in for some minor warranty work soon.

Jules

You really should be pushing it 3 or 4 times a year just to make sure it works, exactly the same as the one in your house. If you push it and nothing happens it isn't working so you need to replace it. If every time you push it it sticks I would be replacing it as well. It's not a huge expense to replace. Less than 20 quid for a new one.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/d190/CED+Consumer+Units/sd2979/2+Pole+RCD/p65443

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes it does seem a little loose. I'll investigate further.

I have just gone out and given it a gentle push and immediately the trip went. I think the answer is don't be to heavy handed. I'll keep an eye and get it replaced if needs be.

Thanks again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It says on it monthly ! :)
I probably press mine at least once a week. Mine has a reset button that has to be pressed after testing to allow the switch to be reset.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It says on it monthly ! :)
I probably press mine at least once a week. Mine has a reset button that has to be pressed after testing to allow the switch to be reset.

That's a bit excessive. Every 3 months is fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back