Grey Water Tap Open While Driving Cure ? (1 Viewer)

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
image1 (2).jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
image1.jpg
image1 (2).jpg
A few weeks ago I read in the forum about people who drive off with their grey waste tanks open and leaving it everywhere. Most of the comments made me chuckle as I have to admit that sometimes I am also a culprit and endulge in leaving a trail behind me like a snail!
Being the soul I am I set about developing a solution which turned out to be easier than first imagined, a quick inspection of the waste tank and I discovered the waste pipe is connected by a 1"bsp tank connector and not moulded on like some. So off I set to our local plumb centre and purchased a 12v motorized turn valve which has 1/2" bsp thread and a adaptor bush total a couple of coppers short of £20. Then called off at a motor factor and bought a universal up/down window switch for £1.74
When I got home I set about fitting the valve and cobbled up a relay I already had and the window switch. I have a 3d printer so printed a cbe plate to fit the switch in.
Now heres the clever part...the relay is also connected to a ignition live so as soon as the ignition is switched on the relay clicks into gear and and shuts the valve if it is open. In normal use the window switch is used to open and close the valve as required from the comfort of inside.
Hope you like the idea......It could spell the end of grey waste trails on the roads ? but one thing how many times has a grey waste trail help you find that hard to find campsite ?Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Clever, pictures are upside down I guess unless you are located in Australia. But is the valve waterproof? It will get a lot of spray thrown at from the front wheels.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think the 1/2 inch valve will block rather easily..
have you figured out how to back flush it yet ? ;)

Honest opinion..
an over complex solution to a problem that doesn't really exist except on forums.
More to go wrong.. KISS

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
Clever, pictures are upside down I guess unless you are located in Australia. But is the valve waterproof? It will get a lot of spray thrown at from the front wheels.
Yes noticed pictures were inverted once uploaded now uploaded them upside down and they are fine

The unit is rated IP65 so is ideal

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
I think the 1/2 inch valve will block rather easily..
have you figured out how to back flush it yet ? ;)

Honest opinion..
an over complex solution to a problem that doesn't really exist except on forums.
More to go wrong.. KISS

Yep avoid pouring fat and tea leafs down the sink :)

The main reason for doing this is lazyness on my side

Fergus

Free Member
Jun 21, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Wannabe
Exp
Hey, your a friendly lot on here so I say don't p*ss on this guys parade, or maybe more appropriate don't pour grey waste on his parade. Looks like a nice set up and I bet he had lots of fun and the wife probably even thought he was 'working' so he got some peace and man time as well. Maybe even a well done from the wife at the end, probably with that hint of indifference.

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
How long before someone thinks of operating the valve to open it while doing 70 on the motorway
If you take time to read the post you will see that the relay is wired to a ignition live which closes the valve if open.
With the set as described the only Way to open the valve at 70 or at any other speed is to turn off the ignition get out of the driver or passenger seat go to the control panel and operate the switch
! Pretty silly thing to do at any speed

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
no one is pissing on anyone.. I gave an honest opinion..

we are a friendly bunch .. why don't you become a full member.. .. :)

Just a thought here.....
The next time you are all away and on leaving you go to disposal point and its persisting it down with rain (British summer) you have to get out of the van (or ask her in doors to) open the tap and wait for it to empty in the pouring rain I am sure most of you will think "Hmmm not such a bad idea after all"

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
If you take time to read the post you will see that the relay is wired to a ignition live which closes the valve if open.
With the set as described the only Way to open the valve at 70 or at any other speed is to turn off the ignition get out of the driver or passenger seat go to the control panel and operate the switch
! Pretty silly thing to do at any speed
Not if you wire it up differently :whistle::D

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Just a thought here.....
The next time you are all away and on leaving you go to disposal point and its persisting it down with rain (British summer) you have to get out of the van (or ask her in doors to) open the tap and wait for it to empty in the pouring rain I am sure most of you will think "Hmmm not such a bad idea after all"
I'm not saying its a bad idea, in fact its a good idea, just a bit of banter (y)

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
Cool!(y)
But in this day and age the control really should be wireless.;)
I was going to use a wireless key fob with latching relays but things tend to get mis placed so went for hard wiring instead.
If I was to make any improvements the next stage would be arduino control but the van has more electronics in than the shuttle already.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you don't get out and look, how will you know it's actually dumping and if it is actually finished emptying ?

There are very few drive over dump points in the UK. .most need a dump hose.. even on French aires, many don't have a drive-over drain..

As I said.. I just see it as another thing to go wrong.. and don't see any real benefit.. but if it's what you want.. (y)

but I bet you will soon be having it off to unblock it.. and maybe forget to put it back on.. ;)

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
Just a quick question for everyone. I have a British assembled autotrail tribute T725 and the taps are both on the offside. I just wondered about other makes and position.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
simple solution is wire in a remote control switch so you can stand outside and watch it work.

Broken Link Removed

oh and I would of fitted a 1" solenoid valve rather than 1/2" to avoid blocking. under £20 on eBay

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
If you don't get out and look, how will you know it's actually dumping and if it is actually finished emptying ?

There are very few drive over dump points in the UK. .most need a dump hose.. even on French aires, many don't have a drive-over drain..

As I said.. I just see it as another thing to go wrong.. and don't see any real benefit.. but if it's what you want.. (y)

but I bet you will soon be having it off to unblock it.. and maybe forget to put it back on.. ;)
What do you put down your sink to cause a blockage? As in all my time I have never had a problem with blockages.
The type of valve used is a 90 degree on off ball type valve not a gate valve or diaphragm so nothing to snag, also if it does somehow get blocked a simple bottle brush will soon clear it.
Will know it's empty via the tank level gauge.
Most club sites with MSP I have visited have had a drain trench

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
simple solution is wire in a remote control switch so you can stand outside and watch it work.

Broken Link Removed

oh and I would of fitted a 1" solenoid valve rather than 1/2" to avoid blocking. under £20 on eBay
I did look for a 1" but all I could find were 240v
Since fitting it I have filled and drained the tank a few times and ok it take a tad longer but drains fine

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you do get problems and need to change to a 1" valve
Broken Link Removed

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
CAK Tanks have 12 volt operated slide valves which you can fit to your black tank and grey tank.

Drive over the open manhole, press the switch, tunga! Job done.

Great solution for tailgaters too! (y)

JJ :cool:

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Just a quick question for everyone. I have a British assembled autotrail tribute T725 and the taps are both on the offside. I just wondered about other makes and position.

We have an Adria Coral 680 and the grey waste tap is on the nearside. Had a slight problem this morning when leaving as the drain was on the 'up' camber side of the MH and we couldn't properly empty our tank. Campsite road was very narrow at this point on a one way system so didn't really have an alternative option.

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
if you do get problems and need to change to a 1" valve
Broken Link Removed
Thanks for the link
However there appears to be a misconception on people's perception of 1" bsp and 1/2" bsp This is not the actual bore it is the thread. With 1/2" equating to around 18mm bore and 1" equating to around a 30mm bore. So by reducing the to 1" bsp I have only reduced the diameter by roughly a third.
The valve works fine, all this fuss about getting clogged is a tad pedantic and one can only assume some people must be using their vans as mobile fish and chip shops and the excess fat drains into the grey waste ;-)
The system I have made up and fitted works 100% as desired but understand the comment of something else to go wrong and to a certain extent agree, and on this line I am digging out an old WIND UP alarm clock tomorrow with a seven day spring and replacing the electric motor,relay and switch with the clock mech. My plan is to set the seven day alarm to 10 mins before departure time and drive to WDP and sit and wait. :) steampunk is style
I have added a table to clear up the misconception
image.jpg

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
We have an Adria Coral 680 and the grey waste tap is on the nearside. Had a slight problem this morning when leaving as the drain was on the 'up' camber side of the MH and we couldn't properly empty our tank. Campsite road was very narrow at this point on a one way system so didn't really have an alternative option.
We have had the same problem too many times to mention with our offside tap.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back