Glastonbury - Is It Me Or Am I Getting Old? (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I've never heard of this lot that's currently showing on BBCs red button!
£250 a ticket and camping on top - you have to buy two pitches if you're motorhomes over 7m
OMG, I'll stick with my cd's and tapes! :D(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
£250 a ticket and camping on top

It's not camping on top. General camping is included. You only pay for the campervan field. And forget the 7m rule, all festivals say that but it's never an issue, nobody is interested. We're 7.4m and have never had a problem. Last year at Beautiful Days the same rule allegedly applied, we were parked next to some monstrous expedition vehicle thing that made us look tiny.

If you've never been to Glastonbury the BBC coverage doesn't give the best impression of what the festival is about as they only cover the main stages. A big proportion of the people that go never go anywhere near any of these stages. Last time we were there we watched a grand total of 3 bands on the main and 2nd stages.

There really is something for everyone.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Try it. There's a process.

Register yourself in July.
Get excited for October ticket Sunday.
Then you will either get more excited or really depressed.
If you get tickets the excitement will steadily build up for 6 months. Forget the lineup, it's not important.
Then your tickets will arrive, more excitement.
The festival itself is indescribable!
Then you get post-Glasto blues until October when the process starts again.

We haven't managed to get tickets for the last 2 years but it all still applies.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Try it. There's a process.

Register yourself in July.
Get excited for October ticket Sunday.
Then you will either get more excited or really depressed.
If you get tickets the excitement will steadily build up for 6 months. Forget the lineup, it's not important.
Then your tickets will arrive, more excitement.
The festival itself is indescribable!
Then you get post-Glasto blues until October when the process starts again.

We haven't managed to get tickets for the last 2 years but it all still applies.
Sorry, at £250 a ticket i shall remain disappointed....that is a disgusting price no matter how popular or whoever the bands.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Sorry, at £250 a ticket i shall remain disappointed....that is a disgusting price no matter how popular or whoever the bands.

Just for the sake of accuracy it isn't £250 this year. It's £220.

The value depends on your point of view and what you do normally.

First point is that it's a 5 day event, not just a concert for a day.

The second, probably better point, is thinking about the bands. If you say look at the top 3 acts on the main stage on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. If you were paying for individual gigs for those bands then you would expect to pay a minimum of £50 each on average so just looking it that way, without considering everything else you may see or do, it's good value. When we went in 2013 the Rolling Stones headlined on Saturday. We paid £205 for the festival. The Stones did a number of other gigs that Summer with tickets priced at around £300. You do the maths.

Obviously if you aren't particularly into seeing live bands or festivals in general it doesn't matter what the price is. If it was a fiver it wouldn't be good value for you.

If you do like live music it's actually great value for money. There's no other way of seeing that many bands, both big names and small for so little money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

John I tried to get a ticket for the Stones last concert cheapest I could find was over £600.00. To be fair I had left it until last minute but was expecting to pay £250.00. Glastonbury is cheap in comparison hundreds of bands and non stop music. Jan was looking for a Michael Buble ticket recently cheapest £250.00 for seat with limited viewing decent seats were £500.00.
Scary eh!!!

Reactions: JJ

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just for the sake of accuracy it isn't £250 this year. It's £220.

The value depends on your point of view and what you do normally.

First point is that it's a 5 day event, not just a concert for a day.

The second, probably better point, is thinking about the bands. If you say look at the top 3 acts on the main stage on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. If you were paying for individual gigs for those bands then you would expect to pay a minimum of £50 each on average so just looking it that way, without considering everything else you may see or do, it's good value. When we went in 2013 the Rolling Stones headlined on Saturday. We paid £205 for the festival. The Stones did a number of other gigs that Summer with tickets priced at around £300. You do the maths.

Obviously if you aren't particularly into seeing live bands or festivals in general it doesn't matter what the price is. If it was a fiver it wouldn't be good value for you.

If you do like live music it's actually great value for money. There's no other way of seeing that many bands, both big names and small for so little money.

Absolutely.
Nothing compares to seeing bands live.
We normally do at least 2 music festivals a year, nothing like it.
Same as going to the Motogp you see a lot more on the telly but nothing compares to being there.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The other point to make for Glasto is that the more people think it's too expensive and don't want to go the better as far as I'm concerned. It gives me more of a chance. :D

Last October 130,000 tickets went in 35 minutes. I didn't get a sniff :(

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Have been working on motorhome section at glastto any size going in,ought to know been dishing out there tickets,to be quite honest if you havent been you cant really say whether its cheap or dear but me personally its well cheap happy days, ps back tomorrow

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
29th August at the Watson Hall in Tewkesbury. See 10 bands on two stages, including my old band (Breeze) who had to find a new bass player when I left to go motor homing. £5 a ticket. Brilliant value, and all for charity! Shameless promotion by comparing with old established and popular music festival over....

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Hubs thought he was getting too old for it after 10 years of canvas, now he's got a motorhome and still going. He goes back in the middle of the day for a comfortable siesta and if it's chucking it down watches it on the telly with the doors open. He's having a ball and so far tickets every year. Parked with all the other motorhomes - at least 3 fields worth this year and has been there since Tuesday

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Have been working on motorhome section at glastto any size going in,ought to know been dishing out there tickets,to be quite honest if you havent been you cant really say whether its cheap or dear but me personally its well cheap happy days, ps back tomorrow
I would have thought it depended on a persons disposable income to decide whether it was cheap or not, regardless of whether they'd been?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I personally think musicians should be heard and not seen. For me music has always been something I listen to whilst getting on with something else - the visual side of it is completely lost on me, and I get bored just sitting (or standing) watching it being performed. Don't get me wrong here - I love a huge variety of music, and think live music has its place on a small scale to add atmosphere, but being herded into a huge venue with thousands of others and being made to face a stage for hours on end just doesn't do it for me. Never really has. Doesn't bother me if I never go to Glastonbury or any other open air event - I'll still like music.

Both our kids went through that late teenage phase of wanting to go to Leeds Festival, and booking the bloody tickets was always an ordeal. The eldest went twice, the youngest went once, then they both gave up on it. They've both been on camping trips since they were little, but expensive squalor obviously didn't appeal to them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've never been, nor had any inclination to go to Glastonbury or any other music festival and it has nothing to do with cost.

I love music, but not particularity interested in seeing anyone playing live.. Went to see the Beatles in Glasgow, 1964 .. waste of time really.. just a lot of screaming noise..

Also never been to any motor sport event, football match or rugby game..

I would like to see the Tour de France.,. but not fussed if I don't..

I would make one exception.. would like to go to the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville..

Sad ? .. not me.. whatever floats your boat ..

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Line up this year poor. Florence and the machine headlining last night? Come on poor or what!lol

enjoyed Jungle and Mark Ronson yesterday. My daughters there, son usually there every year but he is travelling in south america.. Currently out of contact up the amazon:(

Number one daughter, glasto girl:)

IMG-20150626-WA0001.jpg

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Lordy, Lord... there are some folk who don't seem to realise how many different ways there are to have fun.

Anyone who thinks Glastonbury is just about the music simply doesn't understand.

I always felt so sad that my Dad never realised how enjoyable Rock and Roll (etc) was for many, many people. He was only ever able to enjoy music that had been composed by musicians who had been dead for ages, and was played by people wearing bow ties and sitting down.

I would never, ever be able to enjoy ballet or opera but I fully realise that it is my loss.

I mean to say, some folk even seem to enjoy sitting behind a key board for ages, airing their views!

JJ :cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Anyone who thinks Glastonbury is just about the music simply doesn't understand

probably not..

then again there are lots of things people do that I don't understand.. like watching football.. getting passionate about 22 men chasing a bag of wind.. makes no sense to me ...but one man's meat is another man's poison.. each to their own JJ .. live and let live

and as someone has in their sig.. just supposing the Hokey Cokey is what it is all about ..

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Haha I love it Obviously one size does`t fit all, you either love music or you don`t, then there is is massive difference between listening to it on a hi fi system at home and going to see a live concert.

Then you have the other event A Music Festival so much more than a cd or the live concert.

Are we still young at heart I guess so we enjoy live concerts but LOVE music festivals.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Older sonic travelers may well need this for Glasto....

Broken Link Removed

Personally would like one with a longer tube and no bag! so I could just tie rap it on ankle.........might go next year now:D

(before anyone asks..NO I dont drive a long with waste tap open:censored:)

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Tried 3 years ago to get tickets but didn't, may just try again for me it's one I would like to cross off my bucket list, watching Mary Jane Blyte on the stage jumping up and down in those heels the passion was electric, for me maybe a experience yet to come. (Think age is all in your head how you feel ).:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back