Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
Hi we have just bought our first MH and have purchased a Finlux TV for it. It arrived today and I must be being thick because I cant get it to work.

It came with a power pack that fits into a cable 3 pin plug and also a with a cable to connect to the cigarette lighter.

I used the power pack and the 3 in plug and plugged it into the socket in the MH but there was no power light. I then tried to connect it to the cigarette lighter and it worked. Great if we want to sit in the front seats and watch a blank screen because the wire is too short and the aerial is in the back of the MH.

Should it wok with the 3 pin plug?

How can I get it powered up so we can watch it in the back? is there a way to coonect it to the rear power supply via the control panel thing?

arghhh why is nothing easy :(

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Most vans have dedicated TV area with an aerial socket as well as mains & cigar sockets.
Is your van conected to the mains electricity? if not it won't work on mains.
Unless you only intend to use the TV whilst on mains you need a cigar socket which is fed from the leisure battery

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Sounds like either the 230v socket in the MH isn't live or the power pack is dodgy.

First question: Are you plugged into an EHU? If not then the 230v sockets in the van won't be working.

If you are:

Plug the TV into a different socket, one in the house maybe and see if it works.
Plug something else into the 230v socket in the MH and see if it works.

If it's the power pack take the TV back for an exchange.

If it's the socket in the MH then check all your circuit breakers and RCD are set correctly. If all the sockets in the van apart from that one work then you need to either start fault finding or take it to someone who knows how to fault find.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
the socket seems to be working fine whan I connected it to hook up. I just assumed that the plug socket would power the tv if power was on 12v but apparently they obly work on hook up. On one of the power sockets there is a connection like a cigarette lighter but smaller. would this power it from leisure battery?

we wanted to use it without hook up but we need to power it from inside living area. we have a white box for aerial and I think on the control panel there is a picture of a tv? how can I get it to run of 12v. thanks in advance everyone

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The plug on the 12v cable for the Finlux TV has a detachable end, allowing you to use it in either a normal Cigarette lighter socket or a Hella type socket

pull the red ring off and it will fit the Hella socket..

like this
pro-car-16a-plug.gif

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
Sorry for sounding thick.....so if I bought the hella adapter, I would just need to cut the original cig adapter off and put a wire in each side and it will then work on 12V?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
ooohh I will go back into MH and have a look. I really hope it works. Thanks everyone

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
The plug on the 12v cable for the Finlux TV has a detachable end, allowing you to use it in either a normal Cigarette lighter socket or a Hella type socket

pull the red ring off and it will fit the Hella socket..

like this
pro-car-16a-plug.gif
Didn't know that( not having the same TV), but surely it should have told her that in the TV instructions?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sorry for sounding thick.....so if I bought the hella adapter, I would just need to cut the original cig adapter off and put a wire in each side and it will then work on 12V?

no need to buy anything.. see my previous post

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
yey. thanks ScotJimland I now have power. I don't however have a picture! I connected it to the aerial lead that was already there. It searched and found channels but when I went onto one it showed a picture in part but it was frozen and not complete. it then went black and came up with a message saying no signal was found. I had the power on the aerial on and setting on high but also tried it on a lower setting but it didn't work. There is another wire hanging down from the aerial box but it is only a few inches long so wouldn't reach the tv. Should I have 2 wire connected for an aerial and the other one is missing ? again sorry for being thick on something that may be easy and obvious!

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
only one aerial wire to the TV .. it comes from the amplifier (the bit with the switch) ,
the amp should have another cable going to the aerial on the roof ..

do you know what type you have.. is it on a pole that can be pushed up ?

You may just be in a poor reception area.. it's difficult to advise without knowing the set-up

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
At EVERY new location you must point the aerial at the local transmitter mast (look at others to find the transmitter direction) and return the TV.... EVERY TIME YOU MOVE ON.

If your aerial is the flat round disc type you only need to retune but may not get a good signal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
This is the aerial box

Attachments

• 1212.jpg
    1212.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That is the Status Omni-directional areal , but it's not a very good at picking up weak signals..

If the amp is turned on, then I think you are in a poor reception area .. or the signal is being partially blocked by your house..

Try moving the van to an open area ..

If still no picture, there may be a bad connection at one of the coax plugs .. or at the aerial ..

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I had similar problems when I bought my Finlux - here are my various solutions;

1. Mains only works when on hook up
2. 12v cigarette plug only worked when ignition on... So I got an adaptor to plug into the hab 12v system

Clipsal%20body%20embed.jpg

3. I the same/similar aerial & booster, useless.
So I got a Avtex STH3000 aerial (powered by the supply to the now unused booster). Result I went from no picture to 232 channels with aerial in wardrobe!
4. I downloaded UK Aerial Alignment app (free)

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
we have just taken MH out for the day to try things and set tv up. again nothing but we were parked next to a tall building and were quite closed in. is it worth getting the avtex sth3000 as mention above and is it easy to install?

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Why not take the TV into your house and (assuming you have a 'normal' aerial as well as or instead of a satellite dish) connect it to your house aerial and mains supply? You can then familiarise yourself with the TV without the added complications of the MH and its aerial. Once you're happy with operating the TV it's one less thing to worry about when setting it up in the MH.

One thing to bear in mind is that when it autotunes the channels at home it will need to do the same again when you move it out of your local area - in other words each time you drive to a different site.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Your no 1 problem is the aerial.

The status 513 is notorious for being utter rubbish....if you want another one i have one in my garage...been there for years collecting dust, all its fit for.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had similar problems when I bought my Finlux - here are my various solutions;

1. Mains only works when on hook up
2. 12v cigarette plug only worked when ignition on... So I got an adaptor to plug into the hab 12v system

Clipsal%20body%20embed.jpg

3. I the same/similar aerial & booster, useless.
So I got a Avtex STH3000 aerial (powered by the supply to the now unused booster). Result I went from no picture to 232 channels with aerial in wardrobe!
4. I downloaded UK Aerial Alignment app (free)

Hope this helps
Why not simply remove the cig lighter plug from the tv and replace with the 2 pin plug....one less 'joint' in the system to overheat or fail.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
we only have a satellite dish. we are going to take it for a drive to winter hill where the main tv mast is, its in the open with no obstructions so if it doesn't work there. may be just use with dvd for a while.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we only have a satellite dish. we are going to take it for a drive to winter hill where the main tv mast is, its in the open with no obstructions so if it doesn't work there. may be just use with dvd for a while.
Keep a few miles away or the signal will be too strong, even for a useless flying saucer aerial.

As long as you have uninterupted "line of sight" to the transmitter you should do ok quite a long way away.

Personally, i prefer the tripod mounted sat dish.

Take a couple of minutes to set up and no retuning the tv....its the same signal throughout the UK.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Why not simply remove the cig lighter plug from the tv and replace with the 2 pin plug....one less 'joint' in the system to overheat or fail.
Then I'll need an adaptor to convert the 2 pin plug to a cig lighter because as soon as I cut it off, I'll find I absolutely must need to plug it into the cig lighter socket :rofl:.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the status omni directional antenna is about as much use as a frisby get a decent antenna and you will not need the ant booster.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back