Electric Bikes Insurance (1 Viewer)

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
We need to insure 2 Ebikes (too expensive for under house insurance).
Any recommendations for a good cover with affordable cost?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Thought about ours when we bought them, £799 I think for the new one from AS and £250 for a second hand one off a fellow funster. I was under the impression they were covered under the house insurance - up to £1000 per single item etc. but I will have to double check. Perhaps yours are more than your single item cover?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

probably cheaper to change the house insurance..that's what we ended up doing as standalone e bike insurance real expensive. We changed to LV

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
House insurance cover bikes for £500. I just changed house insurance to cover 120 days away. LV only cover 60 days away.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Saga, paid a little more becouse of the horse equipment we take around upto £2k per item asked if the leci bike would be covererd they said yes. I moved from Haifax to saga and got a 40% discount as a new customer. cost £60(y)(y)(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
probably cheaper to change the house insurance..that's what we ended up doing as standalone e bike insurance real expensive. We changed to LV
Eddie, I've just looked at the LV policy and found these exclusions:-

We will not pay for:
theft of any pedal cycles away from your home, unless locked to a permanent
structure;
That to me means they are not insured if they are on a Motorhome rack or inside a Motorhome garage.

motorised pedal cycles
They don't give a definition of a motorised peddle cycle, so may or may not include Electricly assisted bikes.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
And why you have to be extra careful securing them both travelling and when you arrive..mine currently chained to a tree next to van, but my rack with ground anchor very secure.. I think a stout tree qualifies as a permanent structure :D (and yes I have double checked!)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Furthermore... In a garage i would still fit ground anchor bolted to chassis. Meant to say most insurance has that permenant structure clause.....

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Sorry for not being in tune but what do you mean:
1) my rack with ground anchor very secure.
2) In a garage i would still fit ground anchor bolted to chassis.

We have at the back of the van, a bumper that the towbar conected to. Planing to chain the two bikes with the bikes rack to the bumper.
Hope to chain the bikes to the bumper too when parking and off the rack. Will that be good enough for the insurance? Hope time will not have to tell LOL.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Best thing is to write to your insurance company to check as you then have their answer in writing. :)

When I asked i was told that locked in the motorhome garage (gold standard locks and garage locked) was fine, on a rear mounted bike rack wasn't but you do need to check with your own insurance company.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sorry for not being in tune but what do you mean:
1) my rack with ground anchor very secure.
2) In a garage i would still fit ground anchor bolted to chassis.

We have at the back of the van, a bumper that the towbar conected to. Planing to chain the two bikes with the bikes rack to the bumper.
Hope to chain the bikes to the bumper too when parking and off the rack. Will that be good enough for the insurance? Hope time will not have to tell LOL.

You can only do so much cant you!:)

Just make sure bikes chained to chassis not bike carrier !

using two types of lock a good idea as they need different tools for different locks. Pragmasis make good quality chains and padlocks. abus have strong D locks and you can carry these on the bikes when out and about..

http://securityforbikes.com/security-chains.php

A ground anchor..only as good as what it's security bolted to!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We got a Gold rated Dlock, also a motorbikes chain (from Aldi) to tide the bikes with the cack to the bumper (that bolt to the chassis LOL)
Still don't understand what is the ground anchor that you use when away from home.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just been tearing my hair out wading through my Nationwide Home policy and looks like we covered up to £4000 per item and up to 60days out of the country.

Nationwide's definition of a Peddle Cycle includes "Electrical assisted bicycles"

In the Peddle Cycle section of the policy bikes are covered up to £1000 if you want additional cover you can add them as a specified item, but you do not need to do this as items including bikes are covered under the "Personal Possessions" to a value of £4000 each item. I have checked with Nationwide and they confirmed this.

Also the restrictions on locking them up are a lot easier:-

Not covered:-Theft of any bicycle when it is unattended and is not in a locked building or immobilised by a security device.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Maybe worth trying one of the big cycling clubs,it would probably be worth the membership fee to get decent bike insurance,house insurance usually only covers up to £500 max.per cycle andthen only if you specifically request it AND pay an additional premium.hope this helps.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just renewed house insurance, when it came up I got a different story from Nstionwide they said they had to be specified and cost an extra £200.
Changed to Saga £49 extra for bikes total for buidings, contents & e-bikes £279.

Only restrictions, when left in a public place must locked to perminant object, also need to inform them when taking bikes abroad.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Perhaps a little lateral thinking ???
Bought a Kryptonite lock for my e-bike and was delighted & surprised that the purchase includes £800 of insurance.
A thought?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Perhaps a little lateral thinking ???
Bought a Kryptonite lock for my e-bike and was delighted & surprised that the purchase includes £800 of insurance.
A thought?
OK if you only have a cheap bike, do you know what they are like if you have a claim.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We got a Gold rated Dlock, also a motorbikes chain (from Aldi) to tide the bikes with the cack to the bumper (that bolt to the chassis LOL)
Still don't understand what is the ground anchor that you use when away from home.

More examples of ground anchors. usually fitted in garages.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=bike+ground+anchor&rh=i:aps,k:bike+ground+anchor

and one fitted to my rack (red item in centre) Only chance of working if you use high quality chain and padlock......

anchor .jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Using a gold rated D-Lock between the two bikes frame, a motorbikes heavy duty chain (Aldi's) going through the D-Lock and around the rear bumper. Now I also installed a continuous alarm circuit, part of the habitation alarm system, and I tread the flexi cord through the bikes wheels, bikes framesframes, the D-Lock and the rear bumper, nearly as safe as Fort Knox LOL.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 18

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Using a gold rated D-Lock between the two bikes frame, a motorbikes heavy duty chain (Aldi's) going through the D-Lock and around the rear bumper. Now I also installed a continuous alarm circuit, part of the habitation alarm system, and I tread the flexi cord through the bikes wheels, bikes framesframes, the D-Lock and the rear bumper, nearly as safe as Fort Knox LOL.

Only weakness in the above measures is the possible quality of Aldi chain....how much was it and what size links

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Can't remember the price (bought it when was discounter), the links are about 0.4-0.6 cm tickles.
I watch a video of most gold rate chains, being cut in few seconds. The need is for the insurance company demand, to tie the bikes to an immobilised object.
I trust more the continuous alarm loop and the D-Lock to protect my bikes.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Lateral thinking,.......

Buy your e-bike from Norauto in France.

My wife's bike, ( a replacement for a £995 bike bought in Britain), cost 230 euros.

It has Shimano six speed gear shift, three levels of pedal assistance, electrics guaranteed for three years and frame guaranteed for life.

My, non-electric road bike, cost three times that!

At the price, insurance does not become a problem.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Can't remember the price (bought it when was discounter), the links are about 0.4-0.6 cm tickles.
I watch a video of most gold rate chains, being cut in few seconds. The need is for the insurance company demand, to tie the bikes to an immobilised object.
I trust more the continuous alarm loop and the D-Lock to protect my bikes.

In that case an aluminium bike rack don't count as an immovable object..take them off and chain to a tree.

to give you an idea only a chain with 19 mm links can stand up to bolt cutters. but these to big to carry... I have two Pragmasis chains. one long 11mm and one short 14mm. plus assorted Abus D locks. (kryptonite cables for wheels)

an alarm only any good if your in:giggle:

CTC recommend 10% of bike value on security. Amsterdam has more bikes stolen yearly then the population of the city:censored:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back