Going To Sardinia ~ July, Any Tips? (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
going in July to visit daughter working there so will be busy I know but any tips from experienced travellers, thank you in anticipation.
Nick & Melanie

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I went about 20 years ago. Beautiful place.

You need to bring a big wallet, it was very expensive when I was there.

Costa Warrior

Free Member
Apr 15, 2012
Estepona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi,
We were there last June. We took the ferry from Barcelona to Porto Torres and toured Sardinia before getting another ferry from Santa Teresa to Bonifacio in Corsica . Last leg of the trip was another ferry from Ille Rousse to Toulon and then home to Estepona, Spain. We loved both islands.
DSC00430.JPG
DSC00445.JPG
IMG_0959.JPG
IMG_0996.JPG
P6220045.JPG
P6300069.JPG

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I was in Sardinia for the first time beginning of April, took the ferry from Genoa to Olbia then used a few acsi sites in the north as well as an aree di sosta at Supramonte which was very scenic. At Camping Village La Tortuga which is one of the acsi sites there was a great wilcamping spot a bit further along the beach, unfortunately the Germans had monopolised it and there was no room for me! The Police seem quite relaxed about it which I put down to the time of the year, there were parking restrictions but I spoke to the Germans and they said they had no bother. I only had 17 days in Sardinia before getting the ferry to Sicily, next time I will go there for a lot longer, loved it..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
StitchesnFluff
Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Any updates @StitchesnFluff ? What route are you taking to get there? I am starting to plan a visit next year.
Hi, yes, thank you for your info.
Apols for delay
Train under sea to ..Calais > Pierre Percee > somewhere just north Lucerne > Gavirate area (maybe!) > portofino area > Genoa (moby lines to Sardinia) ...... Then nothing after that so far, daughter is working on the island.
Pretty flexible! We stop at Aires / wild camp most of the time

Reactions: DBK
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We went in 2012.
absolutely loved it. We had 3 weeks there in June. weather was fab scenery is stunning. Not too difficult to get around as there is a good dual carriageway running through the centre to the main places. However it would be a shame to miss the scenic mountain roads. its a real shame you've only got a week.

Wild camping wise Pointe de Nora was good and Budoni both for beaches.

Some of the sostas are as expensive as acsi but they tend to be in better places. we really liked the one at vignola mare. And Cala Gonone has to be one of the most beautiful settings in italy and the drive to it is just stunning but be aware the sosta was 20 euros 3 years ago and its a bit primative.

we orginally planned to do Sardinia and then Corsica but enjoyed Sardinia so much we decided to save Corsica for the following year. Out of the 2 we think Corsica just edges it on scenery but sardinia was easier and much much freindlier.

Big tip is dont rely on the yellow sostas book as its so out of date some of the aires had been reclaimed by nature and book your ferries in euros we used this site both times.

Broken Link Removed

We found Livorno to be the cheapest crossing but if you re short of time genoa is probably next best. I think i read that if you book a cabin you can check into it the night before the ferry sails - might be a well earned rest if you ve flogged it hard to get there?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sun screen! Corsica, Sardinia the hottest places I've been in summer in Europe

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
@Costa Warrior We are planning our trip to Sardinia, probably arriving there late April leaving early June 2016. cause we live in Cornwall we will do Plymouth Santander (ferry booked) and then Barcelona Porto Torres, you are the first poster I have seen on various sites who has done the Barcelona route. What is the Grimaldi ferry like, is it a drive through or reverse on or what ever? Also as the ferry is overnight going out what are the cabins like?
We are 9.2 metres does that pose any issues on the ferry?
Thanks

Michael

Costa Warrior

Free Member
Apr 15, 2012
Estepona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi,
We have used the Barcelona ferry twice and will be using it again this year to go to Genoa and onto Croatia. You shouldn't have any problems with your rig as Grimaldi take plenty of freight lorries and coaches. You normally drive straight on and turn within the ship so that you drive straight off at your destination port (Porto Torres). I would recommend getting to Barcelona port early as there is often a queue to collect your boarding pass from the terminal office and parking up can be a bit of a problem. The cabins are quite spacious and cater for up to four people.There's a shower and wc. We normally take our kettle on board so that we can make a morning cuppa . Food onboard is expensive and not great so I would take some provisions with you. Overall the ship is of a good standard and if the weather is good there's plenty of sun bathing areas and a swimming pool . We visited Corsica as well by way of the short ferry trip between the two islands and returned to the mainland by way of another ferry to Toulon. All in all a great trip. Im sure you will love it.
DSC00430.JPG

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Hi
Thanks for that, always good to know whats going to happen as you drive into the bowels of a huge unfamiliar ferry!

OP
OP
StitchesnFluff
Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Can thoroughly recommend it.
All Aires were quiet.
Journeys away from central main roads can take longer than you expect due to roads.
Be prepared to either reverse on ferrys or drive in at an angle to prevent ground in. If wheelchair use flag up early and they will leave gap for you between vehicles to get to lift.

A beautiful island with lovely people.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back