what does the fridge run on whilst driving (1 Viewer)

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
With a gas/mains fridge, when your driving, what powers it

Does it still run on gas whilst on the move?
Is that safe as its not advised on three way fridges!

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I would have thought it would be 12 Volt, mine is, ours has a threee way switch on the front for Mains, Gas or 12 Volt. I don't think it will work on Gas on the move.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
For safety, Gas should be switched OFF whilst on the move so it's using 12 v system! Just imagine if you had a very serious accident and the gas pipe perished etc You would be pumping gas out into what is a very dangerous situation. SO switch off before moving!!:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
As others have advised, many consider that running a fridge on gas while on the move is dangerous and IS illegal in some countries. Also dangerous if you pull in to refuel with the flame burning.

Lots of people DO run with their fridge on gas.

As you have a 240/gas unit, your safest course is to run the fridge and get everything cold and then switch it off and leave the door shut.

Another possibility if your leisure battery is being charged from the engine alternator is to get an inverter and use that to supply the 240V while on the move.

brianju

Free Member
Sep 18, 2007
Hampshire Hogs now in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
A class 1991 Hymer B544
Exp
10yrs ish - US 5th Wheel/US RV/Eurovan
Hi bashers - there are american 3-way refrigerators, but most seem to be 2-way LPG/AC

The question "should we travel with the gas turned on?" comes up from time to time, but at the end of the day the decision is yours to make!

A lot of folk run their fridges when travelling, including us, if we are on a long run in France.

One of our main concerns if the LPG is left on, is the fridge being out of level, example... stuck on a hill in a traffic jam ! for this reason we usually turn the LPG off on shorter runs in the UK ....... the food in the fridge/freezer stays as cold as it should for a long while if the doors aren't opened too much.

:thumb:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Fortunately our 3-way auto switches to the alternator.

When on ferries or going through the chunnel we followed the advice given on this forum - plenty of freezer packs in the freezer while the fridge is on, transfer these to the fridge to help keep it cold when the engine isn't running and gas cannot be used.

chewy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Funster No
If you have only gas or AC electric and don't relish the prospect of crash/explosion etc. It is possible certainly legal within the E.U. to have soleniod type of device in the gas supply which is similar to seat belt trigger.. forgive the description basically it shuts off in event of predetermined inertial loading.. once its triggered it's factory reset though as I understand it.. maybe an option to look into. Only other solutions are get 3 way fridge having checked out specs. of the one you have or load up the fridge with pre frozen meals and keep door shut whilst driving as previosly mentioned.

OP
OP
bashers

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
thanks for all your replies but i think maybe i phrased the question incorrectly

On all the RVs I've been into, the fridges have mains or gas settings.

I'd agree running a gas fridge whilst driving is madness, so what happens to the normal RV fridge?
Is it simply not powered whilst driving?

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi,

I get a little confused, because, although I dont like driving with the gas on. My manual says that you can run the gas heating on whilst driving. If this is the case what is the difference between that and the fridge.

I think that some motorhomes, maybe like ours have a special regulator fitted, somethink like a transflow (I do make words up occasionally) or secureflow, or motionsecure. I shouldnt post replies so early in the morning):ROFLMAO:

I think also if you are on inclines for a while it would not be a good ideal as the flame may wobble. I am sure there are more experts out there who know more technical information.

I think I will go back to bed.

Pat

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
thanks for all your replies but i think maybe i phrased the question incorrectly

I'd agree running a gas fridge whilst driving is madness, so what happens to the normal RV fridge?
Is it simply not powered whilst driving?

Most (?) RV fridges are THREE way - so they can switch it over to 12V. You said yours is mains/gas so you don't have the option of (safe) 12V.

Your options have already been fully discussed above.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Most RV fridges I have seen are only two way; LPG and Mains.

We leave the gas on when travelling, this runs the fridge and some heating if we need it. We try and remember to turn the fridge of when refuelling.:Blush:

I suppose that all those that have an LPG conversion travel with the gas on too:ROFLMAO:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi ours is only two way as well Gas/110v, we run on gas all the time, in an accident it would be possible for the domestic pipe to get fractured, but its also possible for the gas valve on the side of the tank to be broken off, which would be much more likely IMO.

Can't see what difference it makes when refueling as the petrol filler is on the otherside, and the small gas flame is about 6 feet off the gound inside the RV.

Olley

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Most Euro vans have a 3 way fridge that runs on 12v from the vehicle battery whilst driving, but if yours has just mains or gas options then it's not a problem.

If the fridge is cold when you set off and you don't open it, it will stay cold for quite a long time. We went over to Norn Iron a few years ago, didn't have a 12S plug on the towbar so the fridge wasn't connected to the car. The stuff in it stayed cold from leaving site at about 10 am till 12 hours later when we got to next site and reconnected the EHU.

You can always stick a couple of ice packs in - it is well insulated and will work just like a non-electric coolbox.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Caztur, its not the fridge thats the problem, its the freezer; its full of ice cubes, more than my life is worth to let them melt. :ROFLMAO:

Olley

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Hi Caztur, its not the fridge thats the problem, its the freezer; its full of ice cubes, more than my life is worth to let them melt. :ROFLMAO:

Olley

I've discovered a little trick that might just help you here, just follow these instructions VERY carefully. :secret:

(NOTE: you must use silicon ice cube trays)

1. Fill the trays with water and freeze as normal.
  2. When you need to switch off the freezer, leave the trays in the freezer and DO NOT open the door.
  3. When you arrive at your destination, get power back to the freezer immediately.
  4. DO NOT open the freezer door.
  5. Wait 55 minutes.
  6. Your ice cubes will still be intact.
  7. MAGIC!

:wine:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Correct, MOST RVs are only two way, there are some models with three way fridges but the vast majority aren't..

We run ours on gas while travelling .. and have absolutely no qualms about it .. I've even forgotten to turn it off on the ferry .. :Blush:

The only safety advice in my owners manual is to turn off gas appliances while refuelling .. ( doesn't mention ferries :roflmto:)

It's meant to be used on gas while travelling .. imagine an RVer in the searing heat of the US and turning his fridge off while travelling .. :RollEyes:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I've discovered a little trick that might just help you here, just follow these instructions VERY carefully. :secret:

(NOTE: you must use silicon ice cube trays)

1. Fill the trays with water and freeze as normal.
  2. When you need to switch off the freezer, leave the trays in the freezer and DO NOT open the door.
  3. When you arrive at your destination, get power back to the freezer immediately.
  4. DO NOT open the freezer door.
  5. Wait 55 minutes.
  6. Your ice cubes will still be intact.
  7. MAGIC!

:wine:

What about my Rum flavoured ice cream!! :ROFLMAO:

Olley

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I was VERY surprised and glad to find my RV fridge/freezer is 3 way.:thumb:

Boo

Mmmmmmm.......Rum n Raisin icecream Yum!

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
With a gas/mains fridge, when your driving, what powers it

Does it still run on gas whilst on the move?
Is that safe as its not advised on three way fridges!

Ours is a 3 way fridge freezer although it wasn't wired up to 12v when it was replaced by the previous owner.:Doh:

I got the manual via the Dometic site and now it autosenses when the motors running and switches over to 12v.Then back to gas or EHU when on site.

I don't like running gas when on the road as the flame can be blown out by the updraft from the roof vent and it keeps on having to re-ignite.

I guess all those vids that were posted on RV fires by the side of the road prompted me into getting the 12v side of things working properly.Before that I ran with the gas off.Things stayed well frozen as long as the doors remained firmly closed.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back