LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Whilst respecting sufferers, please excuse my 'flippant' thread title...

I do wonder about the dual personalities us MH'ers exhibit...
We comfortably spend thousands on our vans, & also spend much more on pimping our rides, let alone the accessories...
...yet we whinge & moan about how expensive sites are.
Somehow having spent shedloads on the vehicle, we apparently want to park for free...
Britain is a crowded place, land is expensive, regulation extensive, and costs high so yes, sites will be more pricey than less populated countries (such as France).
As a newbie I'm not experienced at winkling out best deals yet I've not spent more than £15/nt.
I think that's ok. Certainly a lot cheaper than even the cheapest bricks'n'mortar room.

It seems similar to those who flash the cash for a 5* hotel room yet complain about the price of the restaurants or the price of a beer in the cocktail bar...

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Whilst respecting sufferers, please excuse my 'flippant' thread title...

I do wonder about the dual personalities us MH'ers exhibit...
We comfortably spend thousands on our vans, & also spend much more on pimping our rides, let alone the accessories...
...yet we whinge & moan about how expensive sites are.
Somehow having spent shedloads on the vehicle, we apparently want to park for free...
Britain is a crowded place, land is expensive, regulation extensive, and costs high so yes, sites will be more pricey than less populated countries (such as France).

Which is why I mainly use mine abroad, If I wanted to use caravan sites I'd have a caravan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
well some days I think I am and others I'm not. To answer the above question in two ways One having spend a load of dosh on a motorhome, sod all left to pay for sites. On the other hand I bought a motorhome to be mobile, not sit amongst loads of other vans in one place for a week or heaven forbid longer. Everyone lives in a different world when it comes to how to allocate your resources, it is not just a matter of being able to afford to do something more a case of feeling comfortable putting your hand in your pocket. Why for instance would I pay good money for a sandwich when I can make a better one for a 1/10th of the price. Some people are in the habit of eating out a lot, others hardly ever. Some love to go to the pub, others quite happy to drink a can or two indoors. One does not have to be seen to be keeping up with the Jones. Do it your own way and good luck to everyone else.

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Which is why I mainly use mine abroad, If I wanted to use caravan sites I'd have a caravan.
I understand that raison d'etre but fundamentally the pitch fee is to allow the site owner to make a profit on the little patch of ground he rents out. All the facilities we complain we don't need are simply relatively cheap enhancements to attract a wider customer base.
Land, property is expensive in the UK. Red tape is costly.
If owning & operating a site was easy & high yield then there's be a lot more competition.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
lol..... yep the wife is.
but we dont begrudge spending cash on being comfortable and enjoying our travels

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Why do we WANT TO get stuffed in a site with all the rules and UMMM!! I'm telling Warden(teacher) types who ant to tug their box around and then stay with the others of the same ilk. There does not seem to be sites where I WANT to go and I do not want to book a year ahead to get in. I want it where I am and when I need it, therefore a motorhome, self contained away far from the maddening crowd, as the book title says.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As a newbie I'm not experienced at winkling out best deals yet I've not spent more than £15/nt.
Hope that was a typo and you meant a week?:LOL:
Just back from 3 weeks in France total camping bill was €49, thought that was on the high side.
Brought a van with all the facilities we need to be independent, why would we want to stay on a site.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I'm with Mr GWAYGWAY...

I spent the money on my vans over years so I had no need to waste it on parking in lines at campsites!

A motorhome to me means being independent, and free to come and go when I want, without having to follow a long list of rules and regulations.

Being an Off-Site Freeloader means more money to spend on gadgets and pies..

JJ :cool:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
My big issue with sites is that they are normally miles from where I want to be and if I want one in a popular place I have to book the year before and hope i dont get the pitch next to the toilet dump.

Cost is a fair way down the list.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
There's an underlying assumption here that once you own a MH, the height of your aspirations should be stopping on a nice neat orderly campsite, as if campsites are the ultimate destination and everything else is somehow inferior or at best a compromise. Those of us who avoid these hallowed places we are somehow falling short or lacking commitment to the cause.

Not the case as far as I'm concerned.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Somewhere to park,middle of town,beauty spot,beach front........... for FREE ?. Staff at Kings Mill hospital have to pay in the hospital car park.Disabled people have to pay as well,even when in a marked bay. Some firms in Nottingham charge their employees to park in the car park,i think that this is imposed on them by the council,i could be wrong.
"Nice neat orderly campsite ?" Or, parked on a car park among numerous m/homes,with just enough room to get in and out of the door / Being able to hear them READ. LOL! We have been on some lovely Aires etc.Chatelguyon was one,in the bus station,but parking along the curbsides in line.
So my assumption is,that if i want to be in a town or beauty spot,or ring side at the beach,parking will be at a premium and either don't go,or find a CL-CS at a nearby farm. Several sites on farms, have you parking in a line,or down two sides of a field,regimentation? No,just one way of ensureing that each unit,having paid the same price,has a view of the area. A plus of this system,is that when you need to fill with water/dispose of waste,unlike Honfleur,you do not have to mount an armed guard on your "Pitch?" while you move to the points and back
At the end of the day it is about money first and shortage of land,Aires may,may not come to England,only money..ooops time will tell.
Tea Bag

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We don't like paying over the odds for facilities that we do not need and if we have a choice of a free spot or a paid for campsite, most of the time, we will go for the free spot. However, we tend to spend the campsite fee (or more) that we have saved on local food and drink rather than supermarket food.

Deleted User
It always make me chuckle when people go on about sites and rules and parking in lines, there is a thread at the moment about incorrect use of aires. If you want to see some motorhomes parked in lines close together then look at some of the pictures on there.The message from the post seems to be that parking a reasonable distance from your neighbours is selfish.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/how-not-to-use-an-aire.111027/

The sites that I use are not overseen by officious warders and I have my own space.........usually as far away from anyone else as possible.:)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
A few years ago my friend was parked on the cliffs on the North Cornish coast. He had a BBQ and was watching the sunset. Some walkers came along but did not see him, they made the comment that if someone can afford a MH then they can afford to go on sites.
He smiled sweetly and explained that he had all that a site would offer and was not interested in paying to park and losing the wonderful view and that's why he had a MH.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Just an observation,some walkers take to the lanes and coastal paths for just that,to get away from the humdrum of life and to enjoy wonderfull views,and do not expect to come across a converted goods vehicle spoiling the view.
I to drive a converted goods vehicle,but to justify the price,the manufacturers call it a,Motorhome LOL.
Tea Bag

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Langtoftlad you found Lyndon Top, look around more and try the CLs, you can find some really cheap ones with no EHU.
Lyndon Top showed you how long you can last without EHU!

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Langtoftlad you found Lyndon Top, look around more and try the CLs, you can find some really cheap ones with no EHU.
Lyndon Top showed you how long you can last without EHU!
Oh indeed - I think my personal preference will be for "open space" CL styles - however, surely it depends on where & what sites are available in relation to where you want to be?
As I mention in my Deep Joy thread, I'm planning to use two Caravan Club sites on my trip to the Cotswolds - because they are where I want to be ie Blenheim Palace & the Wildlife Park...
Incidentally, for me as a Solo Traveler, the way Caravan Club tariffs are structured means that its cheaper for me than a CL

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Hi.
Just an observation,some walkers take to the lanes and coastal paths for just that,to get away from the humdrum of life and to enjoy wonderfull views,and do not expect to come across a converted goods vehicle spoiling the view.

Well when I'm admiring the wonderful view from my converted goods vehicle I don't like having it spoilt by long lines of nobbly-kneed people in big boots sporting brightly-coloured rucksacks and cagoules that clash with the natural foliage, but hey, each to their own. Live and let live I say. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back