Auto Electrics Help - 12v Usb Socket And Tom Tom Operation (1 Viewer)

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
A couple of weeks ago I replaced one of the 2 12v sockets in our 2012 A-T Apache (Fiat based) with a USB socket. Easy job thanks to the info found on here.
It seemed to work fine but it wasn't until we went away this week that I realised that my Tom Tom Camper & Caravan model really doesn't like this socket!
The problem is that when I turn off the ignition the TomTom goes dead immediately - no message saying that it's shutting down because the power supply has been disconnected - it's just dies immediately! As a result, when I switch the ignition back on the TomTom doesn't restart and the only way to restart it is the 'hard reboot' - i.e. hold down the power button for 20 seconds.
Before I put the old 12v socket back, does anyone have any idea what the cause of the problem might be?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Probably the TomTom.

I have a Go Live 820 which I use in the car. It came with a USB cable for connection to a computer or (supplied) mains plug and 12v plug. Because I also use a dashcam in the car I have a multi-socket adapter with both USB and 12v sockets.
I tried plugging the USB cable in direct and the TomTom refused to work at all so I have to power it using the supplied 12v plug.
In theory (voltage/amps output by the multi-socket adapter) it should be OK but for some reason it isn't.

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Are you starting your engine with tom tom plugged in???? Start your engine then plug in when stopping plug back in you seem to be getting a power surge. fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Has your Tomtom got traffic and the aerial is in the power lead, I had a Garmin like that could only use with genuine Garmin lead, otherwise all sorts of funnies happened.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If it's the USB 1 amp/2.1amp I found they were marked up wrong. No problem once I swapped to the 1 amp which was really 2.1. It sounds like your internal battery is completely flat from insufficient power input. Try charging it up and give it another bash

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
Bill_OR
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@lennyhb - Yes, I'm using the correct TomTom cable and if I just pull the lead from the usb socket the TT shuts down properly. It only causes a problem when the power is cut to the USB socket
@Techno100 - have tried it on both 1A & 2.1A connections - same effect :-( The TT battery is partially charged so I don't think that's the issue - it just seems to be disconnecting in such a manner that the TT can't switch to the internal battery fast enough
@tick59 - I appreciate that this strategy would work but I'm a lazy person and I just want it to work!!

... I guess I really need an oscilloscope on the power output... Anyone come across a free Android app that will do this?

OP
OP
Bill_OR
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@GJH - I'm thinking that the easiest solution is to put the old 12v socket back in place as I know that approach will work! Fortunately I didn't cut the Fiat wiring when I fitted the new socket!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Best solution IMHO is to make it always live. That information also on the forum (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Tomtom go 500
twin usb adaptor hard wired in car (3a total) wired ign switched.

When i turn on ign the tomtom boots up, turn key to start and it begins to shut down normally (ign accessory supply shuts down in starter position which is normal)
Once running the tomtom restarts as normal from the last screen before closing unless the countdown sleep timer expires first then i have to restart by pressing the on button as normal.

I suspect the usb socket is under powered, 1a or less, maybe not enough power to charge AND use and the screen is taking available power due to the tomtom battery too discharged.

It should be no different than unplugging the usb when on PC or wall socket charge...normal shut down mode.

I have a generic 5v 500ma usb wall charger which hasnt enough output to even start the tt, let alone charge it.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the cheap voltage regulator used in the chinese usb sockets actually pulls the +ve output to ground when power is cut. this shorts the TT internal battery
solution is to make the USB socket permanent live
plus only one of the 2 usb outputs is capable of keeping the TT battery charged

sparky

Free Member
Feb 19, 2008
bingley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
a class burstner aviano i
Exp
30 years
Hi I wired a cig lighter socket from the radio lives supply behind dash and used origianal to top lead and threaded to where to tomatoes sits so when ignition is off or on tomtom still has power

Reactions: DBK

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've only 'scanned' this thread but we found that a USB socket doesn't sufficiently charge our TomTom - it will put some current into it, but it never ever got back up to full charge, consequently we now only use a standard 12v socket for the TomTom and haven't had any problems since.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi I wired a cig lighter socket from the radio lives supply behind dash and used origianal to top lead and threaded to where to tomatoes sits so when ignition is off or on tomtom still has power
Predictive text by any chance ? :LOL:

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back