Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Used it all the time without problem. The chip shop is good as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have used it in the past, I was aware that they had closed part of it, anyone update on that? How far is the Jungle from it? Only stayig the one night before heading saafff

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Can't tell you if it's open still - I seem to remember July being mentioned for closure? The tent city is out of Calais after passing the old Hoverport as you approach junction 2 on the N216

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Can't tell you if it's open still - I seem to remember July being mentioned for closure? The tent city is out of Calais after passing the old Hoverport as you approach junction 2 on the N216
Yes indeed.
The visible "tented" site is only a fraction of it. The wooded area just east of it has many times more people there. The estimate is 4000 people, my 'guesstimate' is many times that.
I believe that the Calais suitation is destined to become many times worse, and that will be in the next few months before winter sets in proper. There is the potential for an ugly scene to develop and it will inevitably happen if nothing is done about it.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Last time we were on the aire (beginning of May) we only stopped for a couple of hours but didn't see anything untoward and there were plenty of MHs still using it. I think at the moment I'd rather park there than at Cite Europe as we saw quite a lot of immigrants wandering around that area.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You'll be fine as long as it's still open. It's due to close at any time though.

We used Wissant, 20 mins up the road last time and prefer it apart from the chips at Calais.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Wuss ant is very good with a short walk to village and beach aire can be very busy as its free be aware you cannot fill up with water on the aire no borne we have stayed on the aire twice this year without any problems

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
I believe that the Calais suitation is destined to become many times worse, and that will be in the next few months before winter sets in proper. There is the potential for an ugly scene to develop and it will inevitably happen if nothing is done about it.

Talking to a couple of Frenchman yesterday they were saying and I quote "Northern France is finished and Calais house prices will crash if nothing is done"
Imagine what we would do if £1000s of euros where dropping of our real estate. As the above quoted post.....ugly scenes will start with unrest amounst the Northern French population against the immigrants and government. French and British!!!

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We were there last week Dave and there was no sign of any problems ,we tend to have a night there every time we go to France and never seen any trouble .I like watching the fishermen on the long pier ,in ten years never seen anyone catch a fish lol

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Yup I think that the french will be loosing their patience with us and the migrants

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Is the 'Basin' closing? I know that fairgrounds often take over in the summer and that it is not a good idea to park further out along the 'Basin' as that is an HGV testing ground and is used from about 0700.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Can't see what reason they have to lose it with us tbh. Only one group of people causing this problem.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I watch a lot of political news and numbers still quoted as 3000. The french if they had a mind could do something but dont seem to have the will, as what they say is right, its a problem for the whole of Europe not just the border countries worse affected. a lot of hyperbole being aired now re the threat from this group.. still no evidence of physical attacks from what I have seen let alone ones using knifes.... knife attack seems the latest red top accusations flying around trying to stir it up.

They are there because it works! many get through eventually..I saw one on the M23 only last week. the majority of those lorries could be made a hell of a lot more secure, yes it will mean investment. BUT while the PM continues to see it as a french problem. nothings going to improve! incidentally 10 brits banged up in Calais for aiding and abetting. £2800 the going rate per person....a child was found under a dashboard being smuggled in.....

and what will EU exit do for this situation. nothing that I can see, that cant be done now if the will existed. If they do decide to do something re security and checks getting back in from Calais situation will be even more delayed than the strike has caused! As this desperate sea of humanity ignorant of the risks will just keep coming whether we are in or out.....Sad or what

have never felt the need to stay at port aire just drive in and out....

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Right. Sqeeky bottom time. She who must be obayed has kicked out calais and gravlines and wants to head down saarf from calais on way to chablis. Is there an aire say 50 miles saarf of calais. Thoughts.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
campercontact has loads...App for phone a fiver

Broken Link Removed

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
]
Right. Sqeeky bottom time. She who must be obayed has kicked out calais and gravlines and wants to head down saarf from calais on way to chablis. Is there an aire say 50 miles saarf of calais. Thoughts.
We stayed at the new aire at Neufchâtel en Bray next to the campsite on Tuesday night can't remember the mileage but was an easy run up to near Calais on Wednesday.
image.jpg
image.jpg

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Nice aire at Boulogne overlooking the harbour. Can't give you exact directions cos I'm on my phone but head to Nausicca and it's up the hill heading back towards calais.

Anyway, having never met you I thought you were 'Ard! :whistle:

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Stayed at Boulogne Thursday night, no problems, arrived at 8pm all places at bottom with view over harbour taken but plenty of others.
Most slightly sloping but correctable. The dump station is also slopes a lot of waste so water runs down the road rather than in the drain. Fees parking 5.25 for first 48 hours, collected morning and evening. Water 3.00 by credit card.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
As an alternative to anything mentioned elsewhere between Calais and Boulogne, we stayed at a private aire la Ferme de l'Horloge, at Tardinghen last time we came home - €8 for the night, including services. It is the only place where I have emptied the cassette into a 1000 litre container instead of down a drain. Be warned, though. You may need a long cable if trying to connect to electricity.

J

newlifedriver

Free Member
Dec 6, 2014
in my rv
Funster No
MH
A class rv
Exp
I watch a lot of political news and numbers still quoted as 3000. The french if they had a mind could do something but dont seem to have the will, as what they say is right, its a problem for the whole of Europe not just the border countries worse affected. a lot of hyperbole being aired now re the threat from this group.. still no evidence of physical attacks from what I have seen let alone ones using knifes.... knife attack seems the latest red top accusations flying around trying to stir it up.

They are there because it works! many get through eventually..I saw one on the M23 only last week. the majority of those lorries could be made a hell of a lot more secure, yes it will mean investment. BUT while the PM continues to see it as a french problem. nothings going to improve! incidentally 10 brits banged up in Calais for aiding and abetting. £2800 the going rate per person....a child was found under a dashboard being smuggled in.....

and what will EU exit do for this situation. nothing that I can see, that cant be done now if the will existed. If they do decide to do something re security and checks getting back in from Calais situation will be even more delayed than the strike has caused! As this desperate sea of humanity ignorant of the risks will just keep coming whether we are in or out.....Sad or what

have never felt the need to stay at port aire just drive in and out....
All ready pics of lorry drivers on Facebook with knife wounds

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011

Depends which direction you want to go. We like Arras aire. Its free to park and easy to get to, room for about 10 vans. Very pleasant town only about 7 minute walk away, supermarket closer than that.

Paul

Arras.JPG

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
]
We stayed at the new aire at Neufchâtel en Bray next to the campsite on Tuesday night can't remember the mileage but was an easy run up to near Calais on Wednesday.View attachment 67921View attachment 67922

Have heard good things re this one...personel recommendations always better:)
but camper contact a great resource on the road. I copied all the POI onto my sat nav yesterday so even easier to find now on route....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back