Voltage Surge (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Just got back from a month in France, great time apart from both of us being ill for a week, knocking my near side coach type wing mirror off in a peage and an electrical power surge at a site on the dordorgne. It knocked out my charger but the caravan next to us had considerable damage to their electrics, burnt out charger and wiring. The couple in the caravan were insured with the CC, they phoned the CC at 9.30 Friday night and they got an electrician out to them lunchtime on Saturday, didnt do anything but I very impressed. Ive just got to get my repair costs back now, not holding my breath. All the fun of motorhoming!

spongy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We don't use EHU at the moment but as we are going to be doing winters away in the future I have just fitted a AVS 30, (under voltage, over voltage & surge protector). If you buy from RS they give a first order discount of 20%.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have just fitted a AVS 30

First time I have seen this it seems a good idea, not planning on overwintering abroad just yet so just curious but have you wired this in for a specific device or your complete system? And (hopefully not too stupid a question:unsure:) apart from the delayed start features would a correctly rated RCD fuse box provide enough protection?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Wired to complete system, instructions recommend an inline fuse or breaker, the EHU point will take care of that. Someone I know who fitted one spoke to them, they recommend fitting between the van's RCD & MCB which is what I did.
Advantage of wiring inline with the complete system is it protects the fridge electronics & any other equipment plugged directly into the mains when on EHU.
We never use EHU at the moment (one night in last 5 years), what prompted fitting is going on a Greek ferry in September, they have EHU on board and ships generators are not a good idea with Elektroblocks.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya..Lenny been reading about sollatek avs 30 seems to be impressive bit of kit not available at the moment will try later

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have just fitted a AVS 30,

Just ordered AVS 30 from RS .. plenty in stock.. but sadly the 20% discount offer expired..

Sollatek 230 V ac 6.5kA AVS Over Voltage Protector, Under Voltage Protector
Stock no.: 311-5868
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/surge-suppressor-units/3115868/

Amazon are out of stock

There is a cheaper option if you just want to protect the Schaudt Elektroblock..
this is an in-line unit so no wiring to do..

http://www.mobipowerpacks.com/products/23/ISP3-Inline-Surge-Protectors.html

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
There is a cheaper option if you just want to protect the Schaudt Elektroblock..
this is an in-line unit so no wiring to do..

http://www.mobipowerpacks.com/products/23/ISP3-Inline-Surge-Protectors.html
Elektroblocks suffer more from under & over voltage than surge spikes also the cheap surge protectors need replaceing every year or two as voltage spikes break down the components .
The AVS 30 is a better option as it protects other items such as the fridge which are all electronic control these days. So far I have rarely used EHU, I fitted the AVS 30 to give some protection when hooked up to ships generators on ferries.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for this info, I had never heard of these before. I am fed up of unplugging during thunder storms.. I will get one of these and fit asap.

Currently I have an extension lead with surge protector. All my sensitive stuff gets plugged into this. It will be nice to get rid of that 6 gang socket.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
In view of my problems with my CBE control panel and distribution unit/fuse box I am trying to obtain one of these but not in stock anywhere so I have emailed sales@Sollatek.com direct. Hoping to protect my new CBE units when they arrive!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
They tend to go in & out of stock, got mine from RS.
By the way your link is an email address.

Hi Lenny
I realise about the email address - I just thought it might be useful if anyone else wanted to contact Sollatek. Perhaps I will just have to risk a back order from RS.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I haven't had this problem myself, (yet) but I am thinking I might simply use an extension lead with surge protection. Cut the ECU intake where it enters the van and use a cable connector to connect the extension socket to it, then put a 13 amp plug on the other cut end and plug that in to to extension socket, all this done internally and out of sight but accessible if need be. I cannot see why that would not achieve surge protection and very small cost.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I haven't had this problem myself, (yet) but I am thinking I might simply use an extension lead with surge protection. Cut the ECU intake where it enters the van and use a cable connector to connect the extension socket to it, then put a 13 amp plug on the other cut end and plug that in to to extension socket, all this done internally and out of sight but accessible if need be. I cannot see why that would not achieve surge protection and very small cost.
Those extension leads only have very basic surge protection an need regularly replacing as when exposed to spikes the varistors degrade.

The AVS 30 is a different beast it also protects against over and under voltage both of which can kill modern charges. It has a time delay where it monitors the supply and won't connect until it is stable. Parameters are usable settable under voltage, over voltage & timer.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Has anyone considered refitting their Schaudt OVP 01A between the 230v input connector and the Consumer Protection Unit? Would this not protect all the 230v items,sockets and electroblock?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Has anyone considered refitting their Schaudt OVP 01A between the 230v input connector and the Consumer Protection Unit? Would this not protect all the 230v items,sockets and electroblock?
I don't think it has a high enough current rating it's only designed to protect the EBL.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
@Lenny HB my EHU is in a outside locker is there any reason why i cannot install a AVS30 with 16amp commando fitting (male) insert EHU lead for supply in and another female commando fitting to connect to normal van EHU intake

upload_2019-3-18_16-0-7.png

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
I fitted this device some years ago in my Hymer as I had heard that the elektroblock was suceptable to mains fluctuations, it was easy to fit directly before the mains distribution switch to provide protection for all mains powered equipment (i.e. Elektroblock/fridge/TV etc).
Do not be worried when the power is connected it takes a couple of seconds to switch the mains through. This discussion reminds me I must get round to fitting one in our new van!
Now check where the mains input is?

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
In view of my problems with my CBE control panel and distribution unit/fuse box I am trying to obtain one of these but not in stock anywhere so I have emailed sales@Sollatek.com direct. Hoping to protect my new CBE units when they arrive!

You can buy them here:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=222562050393

For a tenner, it would be rude not to.

If you have a Victron Multi you don't need it as the device already switches off EHU if it goes out of voltage specs, but if you don't it could save you a whole lot of trouble.

I'd be adding it just after the main EHU isolator switch to protect everything past that point.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
@Lenny HB my EHU is in a outside locker is there any reason why i cannot install a AVS30 with 16amp commando fitting (male) insert EHU lead for supply in and another female commando fitting to connect to normal van EHU intake

View attachment 290659
Don't see any reason why not. Mine is between the RCD and the MCB still relies on the site bollard MCB for current protection.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
So here I am, nit-picking again(y). For any newbies looking at this, the 'MH Intake' should be a male connector, and the connector on the wire going into it should be a female. Male connectors have exposed pins.
Your description is correct but the picture is wrong.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
You can buy them here:

For a tenner, it would be rude not to.

If you have a Victron Multi you don't need it as the device already switches off EHU if it goes out of voltage specs, but if you don't it could save you a whole lot of trouble.

I'd be adding it just after the main EHU isolator switch to protect everything past that point.

Did you notice the red text?. "The neutral line will not cut off when the product cut off the power". Which suggests that (something we all should check anyway) that it will be useless IF the EHU was reverse polarity. Something to think about?.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back