Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
Hi sorry for maybe a dumb question but what is the law with MH's. If hubby has a few drinks as you would on a holiday and he then goes into the MH would he be breaking the law for being intoxicated in charge of a vehicle if we were wild camping? What are the rules?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I believe that the police would need to have reasonable suspicion that there was intent to drive the vehicle whilst intoxicated
Difficult to prove if you were sat in the back of s Motorhome

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
So providing he stays away from the drivers seat he should be ok?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's intent to drive.

If you have the cab seats spun around, sliver screens on and you're in your PJs then obviously nobody is intending to drive so you are fine. No reason to avoid the drivers seat, I normally sit in it during the evening.

If he's sat in the drivers seat facing forward with the keys in the ignition then he's probably in trouble.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If not, I suspect the majority of Motorhome and caravan owners would have lost their lisences by now

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
The issue when wild camping is if there is a risk than you might get moved on. I have heard stories - not in the UK - about people getting moved on by the police and then stopped for drink driving.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The issue when wild camping is if there is a risk than you might get moved on. I have heard stories - not in the UK - about people getting moved on by the police and then stopped for drink driving.
Rubbish. The police cannot make you break the law.

oops, you said not in the UK. :(

Anyway, I've had a few tinnies, but safely in the paddock at Brands Hatch in readiness for much sillyness and instructing tmrw :)

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
what is the law with MH's.

The 'Law' is the same for all motor vehicles.

From Broken Link Removed

There are three offences that you could possibly be charged with:

• Drive a motor vehicle whilst over the permitted limit (OPL)
  • Attempt to drive a motor vehicle whilst OPL
  • In charge of a motor vehicle whilst OPL.

The third option may be the most relevant. You must show that there is no likelihood of you driving whilst you are over the limit, otherwise you will commit this offence.

It would depend on the circumstances in which you were found by the police that would determine which if any of the above charges would apply.

There are many reasons why he may have to drive off when wild camping.. why risk it ?
IMO .. if you plan to drink , better to do it whilst on a site ..

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
As has already been stated, the important offence is "In charge of a vehicle whilst over the prescribed limit".
If you are not in control of the keys (put them away in a cupboard) then you are not in control of the vehicle. Also depends upon where you were discovered in the van, feet up in the back watching TV with a glass of wine is not in control of the vehicle.

That said, if you are wild camping, there are many reasons that you may either want to move on, or indeed you get moved on because you aren't allowed to be where you have stopped. I would suggest it is wise to always be capable of driving off.

Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Do a search in here now you are a member, you will find the answer is "Are you feelin' lucky punk" to quote Clint Eastwood.

I don't recall a single report of a MHer being done for drinking when parked up, sure as hell the way we moan on here it would be splashed all over the place if it happened.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The 'Law' is the same for all motor vehicles.

From Broken Link Removed

There are three offences that you could possibly be charged with:

• Drive a motor vehicle whilst over the permitted limit (OPL)
  • Attempt to drive a motor vehicle whilst OPL
  • In charge of a motor vehicle whilst OPL.

The third option may be the most relevant. You must show that there is no likelihood of you driving whilst you are over the limit, otherwise you will commit this offence.

It would depend on the circumstances in which you were found by the police that would determine which if any of the above charges would apply.

There are many reasons why he may have to drive off when wild camping.. why risk it ?
IMO .. if you plan to drink , better to do it whilst on a site ..

You will always be in breach of the third one, even without keys, asleep & a non driver. That is why it is worded like that to be an "all encompassing
catch-all "!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back