Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
has anyone yet truly mastered the art of using Alde heating.last night had no hot water and no heating,and this morning after a lot of fiddling and generally not knowing what I was doing,we have heating and enough hot water for the whole site:LOL::LOL:
Brian & Jo

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @Brian and Jo

Have you tried reading the instructions;) our flair has the old slider controls for the Alde heating and it is a doddle, I don't know why everything has to go all electronic and then you need a degree just to switch the heating on.

I think you will have the same functions as ours plus a few more as well, so you will be able to do hot water on it own on gas or electric (or both) with various power levels on the electric, then you will be able to switch on the pump for heating and you will have two ways to control the temperature either by cycling the pump on and off to the thermostat demand but with a hot boiler or by constantly running the pump and controlling the boiler temperature to the demands of the thermostat.

Then you can run the pump on its own without the boiler so that you can use engine heat in the Alde heating system while you are driving I think the pump has to be set to control by the thermostat and you need the optional heat exchanger of course.

Then finally you can switch on the "motor pump" and send warm water around the engine from the heat exchanger (heating will need to be on).

I should have said the consequence of running the system with the pump on continuous and the thermostat controlling the boiler is that you will end up with no or very little hot water, only used that setting once.

Have fun.

Martin

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Thx Martin,the instruction manual is some help but a bit like the Karma Sutra,very complicated to a techno thicko like me.And you are right you do need a degree:LOL:.but I think it's a case of the more you use it the easier the operation gets.thx
Brian & Jo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thx Martin,the instruction manual is some help but a bit like the Karma Sutra,very complicated to a techno thicko like me.And you are right you do need a degree:LOL:.but I think it's a case of the more you use it the easier the operation gets.thx
Brian & Jo

Hopefully

Best of luck.

Martin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We have it and wouldn't be without it now. It's brilliant!

It's hot water priority so if it's switched on and you have either of the fuel sources switched on you can't not get hot water.

Heating is thermostat controlled.

Does the display look like this:

upgraded-alde-control-panel.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
With it switched on, press the menu button and you should get this screen:

Alde-400-x-300.jpg

Controls from the top:

The first one is central heating temperature. Plus to make it warmer, minus to turn it down same as your heating at home. You won't get heating as soon as you switch on. It heats the hot water first.
The second one with the shower symbol is a hot water boost. It makes the hot water a bit hotter so it's better for showering. Takes about 20 mins on ours.
Third line is to select electric fuel source. 1kw, 2kw, 3kw or off. Obviously this is the one to use if you have EHU. Doesn't work otherwise and should be selected to off.
Last one is to select gas as the fuel source. Just on or off. You need to make sure it's off if you're on EHU.

The spanner symbol takes you to another menu with more advanced stuff, timers etc. I've never really bothered with any of them.

If you have the little green light illuminated in the power button the boiler is running.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Instructions for some stuff just confuses me more. At home we have heating control 7 days different times etc and it kept coming on in the night. Could not master it so got an electrician to put an on/off switch in the power supply, problem sorted. Think some stuff is to clever for its own good.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have Alde, a good system, but in looking for help and helping others I don't think I have yet seen the same controller twice :)

and our manual doesn't have our controller in it :unsure:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Thank you all for your input,most helpful.i think we are getting there slowly:cool:.i have to say that in case Mo reads this:LOL::LOL:.
Brian & Jo

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Not sure if anyone else has experienced that Gas for heating is the best input. Using 3Kw on electric can lead to some site's power tripping and waking up with no hot water or heating. You have to think about this system as you would at home. Let it run. The heat is not so instantaneous as the Truma blown air. We keep ours at 20 to 22deg during the day and evening and then let it drop down to 15 during the night. Then it switches back on at 6.30 so that by 8 the van is lovely and warm. It's very simple to set up on the extra menu.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not sure if anyone else has experienced that Gas for heating is the best input. Using 3Kw on electric can lead to some site's power tripping and waking up with no hot water or heating. You have to think about this system as you would at home. Let it run. The heat is not so instantaneous as the Truma blown air. We keep ours at 20 to 22deg during the day and evening and then let it drop down to 15 during the night. Then it switches back on at 6.30 so that by 8 the van is lovely and warm. It's very simple to set up on the extra menu.

Gas is good for sure BUT if you have been stung a fortune for leccy you might as well use it, ours only has the 2kw or 500w setting on leccy for that very reason.

Martin

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

While in Durness in January at -12C and blowing like I have never seen or felt before, I had mine on both,(gas and elec3Kw) the only way I could maintain 20C

I have been told that 3Kw is about 12A, so all OK unless you try to boil the kettle at same time :), presuming of course you are on a 16A supply, not very common on the continent (y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Which manual is the Karma Sutra you mention Brian, will it help me :rolleyes:

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Brilliant system. Far better than our blown air heating in our last van. As indicated before hot water has priority over heating, that said it's very quick on either gas or electric. A must have option for us from now on. Our control panel is slightly different to others I've seen, net result the same......plenty of hot water and a toasty van. (y)

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
I would not say you are a "Thicko"...:lipssealed:

Well may be a little....:giggler:

Them pictures of control`s above are the same as mine... I told you how to drive it... :*

:rofl:
Hi Mo I think we are getting the hang of it now . I don't thinkwe were giving the system enough time:doh:patience was never my strong point:LOL:
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Which manual is the Karma Sutra you mention Brian, will it help me :rolleyes:
Larry I think all post 69ers are unhelpable :LOL::LOL:
Brian & Jo

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi @Brian and Jo

Have you tried reading the instructions;) our flair has the old slider controls for the Alde heating and it is a doddle, I don't know why everything has to go all electronic and then you need a degree just to switch the heating on.

I think you will have the same functions as ours plus a few more as well, so you will be able to do hot water on it own on gas or electric (or both) with various power levels on the electric, then you will be able to switch on the pump for heating and you will have two ways to control the temperature either by cycling the pump on and off to the thermostat demand but with a hot boiler or by constantly running the pump and controlling the boiler temperature to the demands of the thermostat.

Then you can run the pump on its own without the boiler so that you can use engine heat in the Alde heating system while you are driving I think the pump has to be set to control by the thermostat and you need the optional heat exchanger of course.

Then finally you can switch on the "motor pump" and send warm water around the engine from the heat exchanger (heating will need to be on).

I should have said the consequence of running the system with the pump on continuous and the thermostat controlling the boiler is that you will end up with no or very little hot water, only used that setting once.

Have fun.

Martin
I've got the older slider/pre digital version too and was considering upgrading to the latest digital version, but after using it I'm happy with it as it is.
Like some posts have said, the later versions can be programmed time wise but basically we turn it up when we are cold and down when it's hot.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I've got the older slider/pre digital version too and was considering upgrading to the latest digital version, but after using it I'm happy with it as it is.
Like some posts have said, the later versions can be programmed time wise but basically we turn it up when we are cold and down when it's hot.

I understand that you can add a danfoss tp5000 thermostat/timer to the old slider controller, a guy on Facts called Venwood did it and wrote it up, if you have access on the other side you might find it, it was on a Flair 8000.

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ive got the digital one. It took me a while to get used to it. but now I mostly like it.

IMHO The biggest difference is the reaction time. It seems to run best if you've always got a bit of heat in it, so if you go out for a walk on a cold day, leave it on a low temp setting on the top line, and then it will react quicker when you come in.

The extra feature I like the best is running off the engine, so that the whole MH is warm and when you arrive you allready have hot water and it costs nothing.( if like us youve got an accessible tap on this its better to turn it off in hot weather)

One extra is that it will tell you how hot the system is, to do this press the spanner key and then scroll through the next 2 pages using the down arrow and a service button appears, press this and down arrow again and you will get the temps, sounds complicated but its easy when you know how.

The one Ive never mastered is the night setback, it never seems to drop the temp.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Our previous MH gad the older slider control and the new one has the digital version. As others have said it gets easier the more you use it. If it's not heating up check the fluid levels - resoivoir was access able in the wardrobe - as if it's low the heating takes ages to heat the MH.

Kath

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Ive got the digital one. It took me a while to get used to it. but now I mostly like it.

IMHO The biggest difference is the reaction time. It seems to run best if you've always got a bit of heat in it, so if you go out for a walk on a cold day, leave it on a low temp setting on the top line, and then it will react quicker when you come in.

The extra feature I like the best is running off the engine, so that the whole MH is warm and when you arrive you allready have hot water and it costs nothing.( if like us youve got an accessible tap on this its better to turn it off in hot weather)

One extra is that it will tell you how hot the system is, to do this press the spanner key and then scroll through the next 2 pages using the down arrow and a service button appears, press this and down arrow again and you will get the temps, sounds complicated but its easy when you know how.

The one Ive never mastered is the night setback, it never seems to drop the temp.
My night temperature drop works really well. Just check that you have the option of all days as you can choose a day of the week on the panel. We find that by using this function we can sleep well and then it clicks back on about 6.30am and gently warms the van through. Do you want a pic of my control panel?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
My night temperature drop works really well. Just check that you have the option of all days as you can choose a day of the week on the panel. We find that by using this function we can sleep well and then it clicks back on about 6.30am and gently warms the van through. Do you want a pic of my control panel?

is it a 3010?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back