Solar Panels, Is It Worth Having Them Installed? (1 Viewer)

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
Hi we are new to all this so please excuse my maybe obvious questions!

We have just bought our first MH and don't want to have to rely on camp sites for power. We have the 2 gas tanks etc but we were wondering if it is worth getting solar panels fitted? we have a button for them on our control panel thingy to show power available. how easy and cost effective are they to install? thanks in advance

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Yes, without a doubt yes.

We had one fitted by Dave Newell last month and it's amazing how much more relaxing the recent Stratford meet was - no worries about power. Also the knowledge that if you don't use the MH for a few weeks the battery will still have power.

Upvote 0

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Whats a B2B charger? :unsure:
Its a a small electronic device that basically puts the alternator to work when driving to charge up all the batteries engine and leisure its about the size of a matchbox mine is stuck to engine battery with a small led to show its working.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Solar panels are great, well worth the investment, if electric is extra and you dont need to use mains you can soon recoup the cost. Our van has just gone back to dealer as energy is coming in from solar, but not getting to the batteries, Rhino instals at chorley does a mobile service, have not used him myself, but know people who have and are well pleased with his work.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes. Definitely yes. Get as much capacity as you can fit on your roof. With ours we can be permanently off grid summer or winter.

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Its a a small electronic device that basically puts the alternator to work when driving to charge up all the batteries engine and leisure its about the size of a matchbox mine is stuck to engine battery with a small led to show its working.
A B2B is quite a large unit, what you describe sounds like a battery master

This is a B2B
Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You can't have too much BUT do consider the weight!
CA_06021419474436-L.jpg

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Solar panels are well worth it. Except in the depths of the UK winter you never need to worry about finding a hook up again. We have 2 x 100W. But to make most of them you will also need at least 2 decent leisure batteries.

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Ok.. I will put an alternative view..

If you use more electricity than you generate by driving then solar is something worth having.

Let me explain.

We use our van for exploring. We drive, stop and look around, drive, stop and eat, drive, sleep. It doesn't matter how long we go for, that is the habit we have.

So in effect, we never use enough electricity that the batteries we have run low and the engine with a standard split charge relay is enough to meet our needs

Our new van has a big inverter that runs a TV and also a diesel space heater so it may be different in the winter with this one however solar isn't all that useful in the winter anyway so we may need an alternative solution.

So for lots of people, solar is essential for the way they use their vans. For us, it would just be more weight and more drag.

Upvote 0

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I keep my van about 8 miles from home I would not be without one keeps all batteries charged and good when on rallies

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have 110w of panels ( original 30watt and a new 80watt) I noticed even when it's dull and raining, I am still getting up to an amp being generated, so they aren't so useless in Winter. A couple of days ago in the sun, they were generating just over 5 amps. We have 3 leisure batteries and rarely spend more than one night at an Aire but we can stay 3 or 4 days without EHU easily without draining the batteries.

Upvote 0

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, yes and again yes. We had ours fitted by Dave Newell as well. We have no worries about battery power virtually all year.

Us too, plus a dc to dc charger, right up there with the gaslow installation (y)

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Yes, without a doubt yes.

We had one fitted by Dave Newell last month and it's amazing how much more relaxing the recent Stratford meet was - no worries about power. Also the knowledge that if you don't use the MH for a few weeks the battery will still have power.
I think that sums it up perfectly.

More relaxing than a couple of bottles of Landlord. Bit more expensive, but you have to keep buying the Landlord.

Upvote 0

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I recently fitted 100w solar panel to MH. Bought panel, controller, wiring & connectors, in line fuses and fixing brackets/ mastick all new off ebay for less than £80. It took me about 2 hrs to fit, and this included a delay due to MH wiring loom being incorrect. For this sort of money I think....just do it. Hope you do and you will see the benefit.

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Another definite yes from us! Bought our van in September and spent the first few trips stressing about running out of power! Went to Vanbitz and had a second leisure battery fitted, a solar panel and battery master. Brilliant job. Each trip since has been a joy with no worries about power, so would definitely recommend!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back