Unwanted Adverts (1 Viewer)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Is everybody getting the links down the lefthand side of the page as well as annoying survey request screens popping up like the ones below?
upload_2015-6-22_11-49-19.png

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You've probably caught some sort of adware bug. Malwarebytes is free. Download and run it and see what it finds.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That has nothing to do with the site, rather your computer has picked up some malware. Malwarebytes is always a good starting point for cleaning up. Best of luck (y)

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Thanks all, just uninstalled Mozilla Firefox and gone back to IE - all okay now(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
while i manage to ignore it generally and just though its part of the site...what I hate about it the adverts usually are associated with a product I have just bought! which is plain daft and pointless. thought I had adaware :(

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
while i manage to ingnore it genrally and just though its part of the site...what I hate about it the adverts usually are associated with a product I have just bought! which is plain daft and pointless. thought I had adaware :(
Yes agree that the unwanted ads were all related to stuff I had either purchased or just browsed so these viruses appear to follow your internet searches and/or delve into your internet history links.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Cookies, don't you just love them.

I notice that your browser is transferring data from Facebook, is that on a different tab or have you allowed all tracking within Facebook?

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
No I don't want any connection to Facebook. Where did you notice this and is it still showing now? I cannot see it.
upload_2015-6-22_13-21-6.png

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
If you are on a tablet, rather than a PC, try viewing in portrait rather than landscape. Works with my iPad, no adverts at all visible, and no loss of articles from MHF.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Advice only warning.

Get rid of McAfee, 20 years ago it was a reasonable product, now it is so bloaty it will bring your PC to its knees with the amount of processor time it occupies. Second, heed previous advice, run a malwarebytes antimalware scan, and then in addition, download and run spybot search and destroy.
If you are running Windows 8 or higher, install the free windows defender software, this is actually a very good product (hate to admit it!)
If you are windows 7 or lower, you'll probably find AVG free suitable for your needs.
Finally, clear your web cache, you'll find this in internet settings, there is a button that says delete browser history, do this.
If that doesn't clear it, there are many professionals who should only charge around £40 to clear the issue (not seen your location, but if down south I can recommend)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We used to reckon McAffee was the most expensive VIRUS you could buy !!

Trying to get rid of it from a customers machine was always a pain in the parts and really the only way was to edit the registry to remove all traces of it

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

agreed...
and be aware, it is now bundled with Adobe and other 'free' software .. you can catch this virus without even trying..
Capture.PNG

To the OP
agree with others.. install and use Malwarebtes etc..

In addition.. if you don't clean out IE it too will soon become clogged up with cookies and have a full cache, slowing it right down..

To do that easily, download and run CCleaner (free version) .. I run it it about once a week.. keeps the browser clean and fast..
it also has a registry tool that removes unused or old registry entries..

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Trying to get rid of it from a customers machine was always a pain in the parts and really the only way was to edit the registry to remove all traces of it
I thought that was Norton :D Both as bad as one another in a domestic environment :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back