Loo Leakage (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
So, Dad (me) goes to empty the cassette for the loo. "Don't use the loo" Dad tells the kids. "We won't" chorus the kids in unison.

Dad returns five minutes later to find the cassette cupboard for the loo has a generous helping of yellowy liquid in the bottom of it. "Sorry Dad I forgot" says 5 year old son (it's amazing how much can come out of a 5 year old.......)

Anyway, the point of all this is that when the cassette is removed the black flap thing to let the contents out of the loo can't be opened - so does this mean that the seal on mine has had it, or are they never that good? I really do need it to seal, the kids won't always remember no matter how much I tell them!

The cassette itself seems OK, a tiny dribble sometimes from the main valve when carrying it. I'd offer money that it's never been serviced, it's 9 years old, is it worth (and can you get) a service kit for the lovely job of changing the seals?

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
when you remove cassette the seal comes with it leaving a big hole in bottom of toilet so everything that goes in ends up in cupboard best of luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The cassette itself seems OK, a tiny dribble sometimes from the main valve when carrying it. I'd offer money that it's never been serviced, it's 9 years old, is it worth (and can you get) a service kit for the lovely job of changing the seals?

You can get a lot of spares for the Thetford toilets..
Go on their website, you can identify the one you have and get more info ie diagrams, repair sheets and part numbers,.
Several online sellers have the spares,,
http://www.thetford-europe.com/download-category/toilets/cassette-toilets/

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why not make a funny sign to stick on the loo lid (in the down position) so that anyone who goes in to use it when you've taken the cassette out is reminded not to do so. :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Perhaps you could get a little flag or similar to put on the lid when the cassette is out - so the kids have no excuse for forgetting!
Snap with @MinxyGirl

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
kitty litter is your best friend when this happens

Reactions: GJH

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
As said previously, cat litter can be a great tool for absorbing all manner of damp or liquid related issues/indiscretions.

OP
OP
Feltwell
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
The "black flap thing" is part of the cassette so when you remove the cassette you also remove the "black flap thing".

Ermmm, yeah, I knew that, just testing that's all. It's not as I never bothered to check before asking or anything :whistle:

Still, could have been worse, I could have asked the question on an internet forum and then looked daft in front of *loads* of people............

I could have sworn the black flap stayed behind on my parent's old caravan when the cassette came out. Come to think of it, that was so long ago it can't have been a cassette, it must have been one of the old porta-potti's where the whole thing had to come out of the caravan every time it needed to be emptied, for the top and bottom halves of the loo to be separated!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Buy a spare cassette.
One in, one out!

Problem solved!!!

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
can the cupboard be hosed out or will water get into the habitation area? always a bit of 'liquid' in the cupboard after the cassette is removed and I always wondered if I could wash it out???

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
can the cupboard be hosed out or will water get into the habitation area? always a bit of 'liquid' in the cupboard after the cassette is removed and I always wondered if I could wash it out???
absolutely not. all the water inside the cupboard generally seeps under the shower tray or into the walls

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
I remember a few year ago my dad stayed in out caravan (dad was 80 years old) I get a phone call saying the light on the toilet has come on what does this mean. I explained the cassette is full and will need emptying just like I told him to do when I was there and showed him what to do. No problems came the reply from him.

Two days later he called me to say the van stinks and the toilet is full of Sh*t. Did you empty the toilet cassette when it was full. Just like I showed you. "Yes he said" the grey plastic thing on wheels at the back of the caravan. He he'd only emptied the grey water container and kept using the toilet for two days after it was full. Eventually he could not close the "Flappy thing" at too much crap was in the toilet and the pan was even filled up.

Needless to say I insisted he cleaned it before he came home.

Not just young kids. But old kids also make mistakes..

redjohn151

Free Member
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer b534
Exp
I'm a newbie
Cornflakes now regurgitated

Serves me right for reading this at breakfast time

Never mind

OP
OP
Feltwell
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Buy a spare cassette.
One in, one out!

Problem solved!!!

Hmm, not sure on that - I like the cassette to be in it's little cupboard, having a spare used one stuck in the garage or habitation area seems a bit yucky. Probably me being too fussy, if it's well rinsed out and in a plastic sack I guess it would be OK.

No, I think the only fair and proportionate response is to threaten the kids with instant death if they do it again.

Or no ice cream for the rest of the holiday, but that may be going a *bit* too far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back