Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
the engine management light has come on, code reader says dpf filter, is there a quick fix like dpf cleaner, its only done 9000 miles and getting quotes of £800

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The usual reason is short runs, you could try a good run out at reasonable speed, 10 miles at 60mph, this may sort it. Brother says they get many problems with DPF's, mainly on vehicles that are just used around town.

Ian

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
There are different fixes for different makes, for example some have fluid added either automatically or manually, whilst some recomend driving/running at a constant engine speed of 2500rpm for 15/20 minutes. Is there nothing in the handbook?
Might be able to help more if we know which engine it is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
May need a re-gen on proper diagnosis computer.
Did a minded earlier this week.
Also check the vent pipes to the sensor are intact.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi have you checked on the internet I think there is a company that can regen them I did see a van on MI took notice of it because we use DPF filters on our fork lifts.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Re-generation in a workshop generally consists of hooking the vehicle up to computer which then controls the engine. Once up to temperature it will raise the revs to around 4500 and hold it there for up to ten minutes, quite scary to be around. The idea is it will get the exhaust temperature up and burn off the soot in the DPF. I would try a ten mile run at 60MPH but hold it one gear lower than top (so 5th in a six speed box) to get the revs higher and generate more heat.

D.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It may still be in warranty. Ours came with a three year warranty but it is a PVC. I think for yours, if the avatar image is correct, it will probably be only two years but it depends when it was first registered if you are still within the two years. The difference is Fiat considers ours a van but yours they will see as a MH. However, different Fiat agents may see things differently. Our base vehicle was sourced through the local agent so they give it the full three year van warranty.

Deleted User
DPF's seem to be a big problem on diesel engines. A friend of mine has a 4 year old Seat with diesel engine and it has just cost £700 to replace the DPF. The garage says it is a common fault and when you look on the internet there are a lot of comments about them. The reason for the DPF is to reduce emission levels which is all well and good but if they are going to cost so much to repair then would petrol engines be a better and overall cheaper alternative.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
The best thing to do with a DPF is remove it, knock the guts out of it, & refit it.
There are sensors each side of it which monitor the difference in pressure, with no guts inside it can't get blocked.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
The best thing to do with a DPF is remove it, knock the guts out of it, & refit it.
There are sensors each side of it which monitor the difference in pressure, with no guts inside it can't get blocked.
On a lot of vehicles it isn't that simple.
Many need a re-map to function correctly afterwards.
Many peugeots/citreon do anyway.
Re-gen runs engine at increased RPM , it also retards timing to increase exaust temperatures and hence burn off carbon.
There is a DPF flush that can be added before re-gen to clean more efficiently.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Code reader may well say its the DPF, but it could be anything involved with the DPF.....sensor failure, wiring fault or probably a few other things i cant think of at the moment.

Just because it says DPF dont assume it actually is.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
DARN... I have the same today..
Started up at Stratford after the week's stay and had the "check engine" sign come on.
Ducato Euro 5 , 2.3ltr 130bhp 2012....

Ran home ok at 60mph, I have a cheap plug in ODB thingy and that gave me a code of P2454 :(
"Diesel particulate filter pressure sensor A circuit low"

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
These things aren't cats and the sensors are limited to measuring pressure before DPF & pressure after DPF. If the 'after' pressure is too much lower than the 'before' pressure the ECU will light the fault light. Removing the innards might cause a problem if the ECU expects to see a small drop during normal operation. You have nothing to lose (once you're sure it is the actual DPF that's faulty, and a hot run fails to clear it) by doing as suggested & knocking though the innards.

OP
OP
oldmanriver

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
With all the problems these things give, can't they be taken of washed out and re used ?

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
With all the problems these things give, can't they be taken of washed out and re used ?
Yes,
DPF flush and re-gen afterwards.
they are a pain in the ass and vehicles are getting worse.
Just looked at the new A5 Audi, my god whenever it gives grief it will be cheaper to trade the car in !

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008

If you are struggling to get cleaned and regenerated then one of the topgear tuning dealers that I look after will be able to remove it for you and modify the ecu software if that's of interest. You will never have the problem again.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i just had the same and it cost me 310 euros to have it diagnosed and a new DPF sensor fitted and a forced regeneration completed. i watched it all it took less than 1 hour total, diagnosis, new part fitted, regeneration.

it is unlikely that you need a new PDF, and an upgrade sensor was fitted some time in 2014.

mine is a 2012 and 12800 miles.

get a mate with a OBD2 reader and look up the fault code.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS; the forced regeneration took just over 10 minutes and the engine was held at 3000 revs controlled by a laptop connected to the eCU.

OP
OP
oldmanriver

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
Reading more on line, because my motorhome is a 6 speed auto, normal driving won't clean it,have to drive it in manual mode and keep in lower gear to increase temperature,will try the weekend

OP
OP
oldmanriver

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
Just watched a video on YouTube, they cleaned a dpf with a jet washer,doesn't give any information if it worked tho

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Don't let driving long distances lull you into a false sense of "it won't affect me". Many diesel owners seem to change up a gear as soon as possible to maximise their mpg. As well as the DPF problems the turbo can also become totally gummed up with carbon deposits, variable vane turbos can be especially troublesome. So next time you're plodding along on the motorway behind a HGV with your revs as low as possible to save money, just think how much a new DPF or turbo will cost you. Although I do like that you keep the second and third lanes clear for me :LOL:

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular by the way (y)

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
I may be illegal but as some DPFs can cost up to £6k ( Chevrolet Captiva). A main dealer told me that last week. People just aren't going to pay that so they remove the inners, remap the ecu, never have the problem again.
I'm not saying it's right but it's a solution for some people.
What the goverment need to do in my opinion is to get the manufactures to produce a better system, dpf regen just doesn't work if you drive a diesel like most people do, for economy, light throttle and under 2000 rpm.

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
Just watched a video on YouTube, they cleaned a dpf with a jet washer,doesn't give any information if it worked tho

Truck wash and a steam cleaner is the best for cleaning them out. Don't know if you can get it unless your in the trade though.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
the engine management light has come on, code reader says dpf filter, is there a quick fix like dpf cleaner, its only done 9000 miles and getting quotes of £800
Speak to Vortex Performance Exhausts
53 Tower Road
Globe Industrial Estate
Grays
Essex
RM17 6ST

Tel: 01375 372 037
enq@vortexexhausttechnology.com

I think they can sort it a lot cheaper.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Reading more on line, because my motorhome is a 6 speed auto, normal driving won't clean it,have to drive it in manual mode and keep in lower gear to increase temperature,will try the weekend

Some autos are like that, not really fit for purpose IMHO. I returned an X type Jag to JCT 600 because it was a 6 speed auto that constantly blocked the DPF. Now have a manual with no DPF and it has 10 more BHP and dfoes 8 MPG more

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back