Gibraltar Taking My Dog Through For The Day (1 Viewer)

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
currently in Portugal, thinking of travelling to Gibraltar for a few days. The dog has a pet passport so no problems there and jabs up to date. But does he have to have the worming bit done 24 hours before entry like you do for the UK ?

Also any recommended aires or campsites north of Gibraltar as not planned to do Spain at all but am now going that way, have 2 weeks to get from Portugal to UK

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just walk or drive through . nobody cares . they look at you gone out if you say i have a dog and papers they say most folk have a dog good bye . same as andorra . etc nobody cares . best have the papers with you though . passport and i like to have the blood test results .
many dont have a blood test these days but mine always did.
have fun .
tecnically you should go through a load of tosh entering every country but only uk care . spain sometimes want blood test if you take the dog to morocco. but then not always .
its just a game .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
many dont have a blood test these days but mine always did.

Blood test isn't required anywhere in the EU anymore. You only need it if you're travelling outside the EU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Blood test isn't required anywhere in the EU anymore. You only need it if you're travelling outside the EU.
yes i know but if you have it done . going to morocco or anywhere else is simple .
plus its worth it just to know the jab as worked .
mind mine used to go to maroc every year.
she was in maroc before the passport scheme started .
gone now though . a couple of years ago. too old .
you never know with spain and gib . they get awkward sometimes .
gib isnt really part of the eu. it as a special arrangement but spain can call it not eu.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We went to Gibraltar for the day earlier this year and took our 3 dogs with us, no problem, no checks/questions, nowt. We didn't get to escape that day though as were held 'captive' for the night ... well, it felt like that ... just as we were about to leave they did an emergency response drill at the airport and as you cross the runway when going to/from Gib NOTHING was being allowed in or out ... last time it took over 2 hours before they opened up the road again so by the time we'd queued it would probably have been at least double that, in the end we decided to stay and went to the large car park at the very tip of Gib for the night, no problem other than the weather!

Be prepared for the queues though - we 'cheated' although we didn't know at the time ... we'd just followed the 'nothing to declare' lane on the road, but both this and the 'declare' road merged into one at the entry point ... :rolleyes:. On a bad day it can take 2 hours to get in, or 20 mins on a good day then you've got to find parking. We parked at the large Tesco store (I think it was 2 hours free parking). Don't be tempted to go down any of the side roads as even in our camper it was very, very tight at times!

IMV there's not a lot there to be honest, some historic bits (tunnels etc); lots of shops selling alcohol which are a bit cheaper than the UK and some definitely a lot more expensive than in Spain so don't assume you'll get bargains; food etc isn't cheap though so unless you find something reduced in Tesco or are desperate for something which you can't get anywhere else I wouldn't bother. I don't think you'll need a few days there but there again depending on your interests you might.

We went just to say we'd been and to see if it was worth some of the 'hype', but can't ever see that we'd want to return ... very over-rated IMV.

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
I think I'll be staying at one of the aires in Spain and walking in. The wife wants to go to reminisce about her childhood when she went there so just going to site see. Not interested in buying much when there . Maybe a meal etc. wonder if I can take the dog a little Yorkie up the rock where the monkeys are ?

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
We went to Gibraltar for the day earlier this year and took our 3 dogs with us, no problem, no checks/questions, nowt. We didn't get to escape that day though as were held 'captive' for the night ... well, it felt like that ... just as we were about to leave they did an emergency response drill at the airport and as you cross the runway when going to/from Gib NOTHING was being allowed in or out ... last time it took over 2 hours before they opened up the road again so by the time we'd queued it would probably have been at least double that, in the end we decided to stay and went to the large car park at the very tip of Gib for the night, no problem other than the weather!

Be prepared for the queues though - we 'cheated' although we didn't know at the time ... we'd just followed the 'nothing to declare' lane on the road, but both this and the 'declare' road merged into one at the entry point ... :rolleyes:. On a bad day it can take 2 hours to get in, or 20 mins on a good day then you've got to find parking. We parked at the large Tesco store (I think it was 2 hours free parking). Don't be tempted to go down any of the side roads as even in our camper it was very, very tight at times!

IMV there's not a lot there to be honest, some historic bits (tunnels etc); lots of shops selling alcohol which are a bit cheaper than the UK and some definitely a lot more expensive than in Spain so don't assume you'll get bargains; food etc isn't cheap though so unless you find something reduced in Tesco or are desperate for something which you can't get anywhere else I wouldn't bother. I don't think you'll need a few days there but there again depending on your interests you might.

We went just to say we'd been and to see if it was worth some of the 'hype', but can't ever see that we'd want to return ... very over-rated IMV.

Are you sure you were in Gib?

Or have they opened a Tesco there, since the end of May, whilst I have been away?

:cooler:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are you sure you were in Gib?

Or have they opened a Tesco there, since the end of May, whilst I have been away?

:cooler:
Sorry, meant to say Morrisons ... I was thinking of popping to Tesco for some shopping tomorrow ... not in Gibraltar though! :D

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there used to be two tesco,s in gib . one in the high street and one on the right before you got to the town . dont shop in tesco,s have they gone now then.

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Took the dog in no problem at all. Had his passport with us but didn't want to see it. No worming needed just a valid passport with rabies check . Had a great day. Thanks for all replies

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We stayed on an Aire in March about 20 mins north of Gibraltar at a large village called Castellar de la Frontera on the A405 which is 2 junctions west from the CA34 junction to Gib on the E15 motorway

Calle del Soto, 34
11351 Castellar de la Frontera, Cádiz, Spain
36.283300, -5.421546

There were 4 MH that night but the French one found the kids playing for an hour on their bikes a bit noisy and moved across the road (see pics) There is fresh water & grey & black dumps. The Venta across the road wasn't noisy and served the usual Spanish tapa's. The Local police station is just up the road and there is a selection of shops hidden in the village.
The police seemed to drive around every hour or so and the small white sign just to the right of the lamp-post in the first image welcomes you in English and gives you the do's & dont's

Castellar 1.jpg

Castellar 2.jpg

Castellar 3.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back