Buying A New Mh From The Dusseldorf Show (1 Viewer)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Hi Gang:)
Has anyone ever bought a brand new MH from the dusseldorf show? im pretty set on buying one this year so I wondering whats involved. The transfer of fund etc will not be a problem as the missus does that kind of stuff for a living.
If you buy from the manufacturer do they organise for it to be delivered to the ferry? or do you have to nominate a dealer ?
I understand that you can insure it on the vin plate and that you have to get it checked in the UK before you register it in the UK
anything else that I may need to know ? at the moment the Rapido A class 9000 is the fav

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I wrote this a while ago, although be aware it might be inaccurate: http://www.europebycamper.com/p/import-guide_04.html

Dusseldorf works a bit like the NEC - there are representatives from various dealers on the manufactures stands. The dealer can arrange a set of Ausfuhrkennzeichen's or German export plates with the reg strip which give you third party insurance to drive to the ferry and then you're fully comp once you arrive in the UK if insured on your VIN (eg Safeguard).

OP
OP
laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
ive had a read at your link Addie, thank you for that, lots of usefull infor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Addie so that was you was it! Well done, but well out of date these days...could really do with an update....

You will meet the manafacturers dealers at show. And play one off against the other. Some are a lot better then others with exporting! For instance some will let you export vat free as long as you send proof immediately, others you will have to pay twice and claim it back.

Dealer I use does all the changes ( headlights and speedo and offers 5 day fully comp export insurance) you can also arrange transport at a cost. Fun starts with the VCA and DVLA once you get it home:( What van are you after....

I went to buy a euromobil in 2007. Out of 6 dealer's two offered 17% discount (£15k cheaper then in uk) . I went away and negotiated the same deal with a more convenient dealer in Belgium...

Last edited:
OP
OP
laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Hi Judgemental
the favourite van at the moment is a Rapido 9000 , im still trying to work all the carfuffle out. Your dealers 5 day fully comp is attractive , if I can find a van with a similar layout and pricing I could be swayed , does your dealer do rapidos?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Not to my knowledge b
Hi Judgemental
the favourite van at the moment is a Rapido 9000 , im still trying to work all the carfuffle out. Your dealers 5 day fully comp is attractive , if I can find a van with a similar layout and pricing I could be swayed , does your dealer do rapidos?

No....but I can ask as they have relationships with other dealers. I'm probably getting a Carthago through them as so easy to deal with. Just go to the show and make your mind up. But don't panic as you can get just as good deals afterwards. I've had 2 more import vans since without going to show...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Both my vans I didn't actually place the order until after the show, if a dealer knows you are interested they will hold any agreed price for up to a month after the show. A bit different than dealing in the UK, the Belgium & German dealers tend to give you their best price without having to haggle a much more pleasant & less stressful experience.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Next best thing is to buy in Belguim, most dealers will drive the van to the port for you, so the only risk you take is in the port & on the ferry. That what we did with both Hymers.

I think Belgium a better bet anyway if buying anything other then a panel van as issues easier to deal with....

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I think Belgium a gar nbetye

I think Belgium a better bet anyway if buying anything other then a panel van as issues easier to deal with....
Not that much of an issue with German vans as they have a pan European warranty that works well, don't know what the situation is with French manufacturers.

OP
OP
laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
my missus is now suggesting that we forget going to dussseldorf and just head over to Belgium and order a rapido , there are three rapido dealers in belgium

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Do you not have to take a import back to have any warranty work or servercing done to Europe ???

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Do you not have to take a import back to have any warranty work or servercing done to Europe???
Why would you need to to do that if you have a pan European warranty?
Brought my Hymer in Belgium, I take it to the local Hymer dealer for warranty work. Do the habitation service myself, annual damp check can be done at any Hymer dealer although it often works out cheaper to take it to Belgium.
Fiat bit is also pan European warranty.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I go to Germany to collect my Flair on the 4th. After a struggle of logic with the UK dealer I searched for German ones, and sent them my spec of options last October. Bang straight back with a huge discount, which has been in place through all the changes. With the Euro as it is now, it is a great time to buy, even better than when I did my forward buy. The VCA and DVLA documents have been worrying but I have received a copy of the CoC from the factory so have done most of the forms. The factory fitted the correct speedo and lights for me and it has 2 rear fogs so the garage visit in the UK, will be just that. It is LHD because that was my choice. I have spoken to the DVLA they say their current processing time is 10 days including postage back, and not to worry about any boxes I do not understand they will fill them in from the CoC. But it is interesting. Why have a DVLA form that for the most part relies on data from the standard 52 point Europe wide CoC , but not use the same numbers and descriptions. I have a German CoC which is the real test!!
My insurer NFU (Louth) have covered me fully comp on the VIN from collection in Germany.
I am told that the German motor home market is "on fire" and unless you find a stock Flair for example the wait is now to next April or May for special order or maybe December with a big dealer who buys 10's for stock and can manipulate the specification for you! I am sure there will be variations on this with other popular makes.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The VCA and DVLA documents have been worrying but I have received a copy of the CoC from the factory so have done most of the forms.
The VCA form is straightforward and the certificate you get back will give you the information for the DVLA form.

I have spoken to the DVLA they say their current processing time is 10 days including postage back, and not to worry about any boxes I do not understand they will fill them in from the CoC. But it is interesting. Why have a DVLA form that for the most part relies on data from the standard 52 point Europe wide CoC , but not use the same numbers and descriptions.
Don't believe a word of it mine took 31 days and that was after getting DVLA's managing Directors PA to intervene (it helps to have contacts). On Friday last week I received my updated V5 after a weight upgrade only took 7 weeks 3 days.

Also any errors at all on your DVLA application they will not contact you they just reject the application, they rejected mine because the VAT wasn't paid, it was but their computers take at least 5 days to sync with HMRC's computers, do make sure with your application you give them your NOVA reference.

Good luck.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
The VCA form is straightforward and the certificate you get back will give you the information for the DVLA form.
Thanks Lenny, the VCA document is indeed simple and I have prepared a suitably worded statement for the garage to incorporate on their invoice/ letterhead. And thanks for the Nova reference advice.
Also any errors at all on your DVLA application they will not contact you they just reject the application
Did you have errors as well as the VAT query?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks Lenny, the VCA document is indeed simple and I have prepared a suitably worded statement for the garage to incorporate on their invoice/ letterhead. And thanks for the Nova reference advice.

Did you have errors as well as the VAT query?
No errors just the VAT, just their stupidity, they know the systems takes time to sync, any normal person would check again a day or so later DVLA staff don't appear to have brains.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I was comfortable with the assurance from the DVLA, especially as I have a ferry booking to Santander on the 23rd Aug, now you have my stomach turning again!
Tight but should make, if you have problems Eddie (Judgemental) or myself can give you some contacts.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
So Lenny I can see the grief and stupidity with the VAT proof, what experience makes you contradict the guy at the DVLA who told me not to worry about boxes I did not understand, leave them blank and they will complete them? Thanks.

OP
OP
laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I'm fortunate with stuff such as vat, my missus deals with most of the European countries on matters such as vat, apparently it's easier to get blood from a stone than tax back from the German authorities
if any of you are having problems with the vat side of it , I can ask the missus

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I'm fortunate with stuff such as vat, my missus deals with most of the European countries on matters such as vat, apparently it's easier to get blood from a stone than tax back from the German authorities
if any of you are having problems with the vat side of it , I can ask the missus
Most German dealers put it through as an export sale but make you pay the TVA and re-fund you once you proved you have paid UK VAT, our Belgium dealer doesn't charge us the VAT so makes it easy.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Gang:)
Has anyone ever bought a brand new MH from the dusseldorf show? im pretty set on buying one this year so I wondering whats involved. The transfer of fund etc will not be a problem as the missus does that kind of stuff for a living.
If you buy from the manufacturer do they organise for it to be delivered to the ferry? or do you have to nominate a dealer ?
I understand that you can insure it on the vin plate and that you have to get it checked in the UK before you register it in the UK
anything else that I may need to know ? at the moment the Rapido A class 9000 is the fav
Thanks to an idea inspired by @Judgemental we just negotiated 20% off a new right hand drive, UK spec, German built MH from a UK dealer. Plus we got over £1000 free extras and a Gaslow system at cost price too
PM me if you'd like to know how we did it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
So Lenny I can see the grief and stupidity with the VAT proof, what experience makes you contradict the guy at the DVLA who told me not to worry about boxes I did not understand, leave them blank and they will complete them? Thanks.
I think the info the VCA gives you tells you what boxes to leave blank, I was really referring to their statement of 10 days.
I can email you a copy of my completed application if it helps, I'm only around until the 1st July, off to Thailand for 5 weeks to visit our daughter.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I really think having a fixed holiday date very risky where VCA/DVLA concerned! VAT has always been completed through HMRC Gatwway on line and that the least of your worries.

Fun starts with VCA ( last time it took them 2 weeks to return docs) and DVLA took 6! Only resolved when I wrote to the MD complaining regards their incompetence:(

Clint Eastwood sums it up far better then I can!

as for forms..do not sweat blood! leave blank anything your not positive on (which will be a lot) and they will do it...photocopy everything and send registered signed for.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks to an idea inspired by @Judgemental we just negotiated 20% off a new right hand drive, UK spec, German built MH from a UK dealer. Plus we got over £1000 free extras and a Gaslow system at cost price too
PM me if you'd like to know how we did it.

Robert....Undoubtedly you have got a great deal there but its far from the norm. I'm pretty sure yours is an unfulfilled/cancelled order. I'll ring them and ask them about a new i138 tomorrow and feel confident I know the reply and I ain't physic!:D

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Robert....Undoubtedly you have got a great deal there but its far from the norm. I'm pretty sure yours is an unfulfilled/cancelled order. I'll ring them and ask them about a new i138 tomorrow and feel confident I know the reply and I ain't physic!:D
I'd like to think that if someone is prepared to negotiate once then they will be prepared to do it again - best of luck
Let me know how you get on
Would you like me to email my guy by way of an intro ?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'd like to think that if someone is prepared to negotiate once then they will be prepared to do it again - best of luck
Let me know how you get on
Would you like me to email my guy by way of an intro ?

You could try buy all means...but not holding by breath Robert on the reply:D

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You could try buy all means...but not holding by breath Robert on the reply:D
Drop me a pm with your email address and surname I will send him an email when I get home later. I will copy you in on the email so everything is transparent

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back