Hello From The Extra High Roof Pvc !! (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Hi,
Decided to subscribe after looking into this and a few other forums.
We had a Ducato converted by Dalesman at Skipton N Yorks and took delivery at Christmas, ours is the extra high roof which has meant we have been able to have a higher floor and put our water tank mid floor like some of the posher ones. It is 2011 and had 29000 miles on it.
We are completely new to this. My wife had a back operation in 2013 and we found our usual holiday flights to far off places were too difficult and being based in an hotel too limiting (unless we hired a car). So after a few trips away in England and Scotland decided to take the plunge with a motorhome.
We had great help from Ian at Dalesman in designing the van to our perceived needs and feel very pleased with it after "long weekend trips" to York, Peak District, Wrexham, Anglesey and Keswick; roughly one trip per month since we got it. Great fun and really learning from it on how to get the best out of it for us.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Excellent, all positive. A nice change from all the disaster posts.

Next, head for mainland Europe the real home of motorhoming.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Sounds like you're having a great time.. Welcome
:welc:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Welcome to the mad house :)

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say ... show us some photos of yjour van! :D

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello , were owners of a PVC too. Welcome to the forum.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Hello RidersofRohan.....obvious Lord of The Ring fans. Agree with Minxygirl, pics would be great.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome (y)
terry

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Apologies but I've no idea how to put photos into a post.

RidersofRohan is a title I use in various places because I used to work for a bus company called Yorkshire Rider and now own a Rohan shop, odd combination I know.

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Oh yes I've found the help bit.
Van To Rear.jpg
Van from rear inside.jpg

yellabellyex

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Lincoln area
Funster No
MH
Bespoke PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Apologies but I've no idea how to put photos into a post.

RidersofRohan is a title I use in various places because I used to work for a bus company called Yorkshire Rider and now own a Rohan shop, odd combination I know.

Welcome; what's so odd? Your decision to have a shop selling the best outdoor gear is clearly a sign of good taste; sounds like your van is working out too,
regards
alan b

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
looks nice out of interest is it still plated at 3.5 tonnes and if yes whats the payload? was considering this size for our next venture

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
yes still at 3.5t.
Loaded for a trip with full water and fuel tanks etc it had 170kg spare which wasn't enough for me, wife and dog (its a big dog). I was expecting 150kg better than that.
Had to make the choice wife or water.
After some deliberation water is easier to come by, new wives can be tricky I'm told.
I went to a local farm who I have known a long time, they are into waste management (burying rubbish in their fields) so have a weighbridge they let me use and this isn't a criticism but I am thinking of going to the council one. When I arrived two of the lads were having a bacon butty by the weighbridge. Now the portacabin that controls it is rather odd in that it does not overlook the weighbridge so each time for each axle i had to go into the office to say press the button for a reading. It was afterwards when I calculated it I started wondering if each time I went into the office the lads stood on the weighbridge for a laugh, as 150kg would be about right for the two of them.
So I will recheck it soon and come back with a definitive figure. I'd be happy with 300kg loaded less the 3 of us, giving about 80kg for extras. ie about 220kg for us (it is a really heavy dog).

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello again, Ralph has yet to weigh ours. He thinks he's going to up plate it ( think he said that ) anyway, as it also has its benefits . He's not 50 till next year. So his age don't be a problem.
I can imagine the lads stepping on the weigh plates too ! Haha

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
looks nice out of interest is it still plated at 3.5 tonnes and if yes whats the payload? was considering this size for our next venture
Had it weighed at the Council weighbridge = 3260kg
This had a half tank of fuel and 3/4 tank of water plus 6 litres of drinking water and bits and bobs, tinned food etc.
So we have 240kg for ourselves, clothing, and fresh food and not forgetting the dog. So we can't add anything to it now, we are just on the margin, or bite the bullet and go for 3850kg.
Only weight saving I can think of is change wheels to alloys, does anyone know what that saving would be? I don't want to jettison the spare wheel.

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
weight diffence between steels and alloys is usually around the 2 to 4 kilos mark per wheel
Thanks not really worth the expense.
Its frustrating really. It's ok as it is I think we can manage but we were thinking about improvements all of which add weight, we are C1 qualified but my son has borrowed it for Silverstone this year and wants to do so again and isn't c1. It is a "Maxi" so would easily upgarde to 3850kg and we could add the bits we were thinking about.
It's £1k to get through the C1 test so that's not an option either.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Welcome to the forum (y)

I would love a PVC but SWMBO says that they are "just vans".
I have told her that the front bit of ours is "just a van" with another bit stuck on the back.
It looks great and I want one, so I have tried to get onto the Dalesman site, but it looks as though there is a problem with it.
Perhaps you could give them a friendly call and let them know :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back