Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi Golly,
with the obvious shift down in size, how are you getting on with the new one?

Currently we have a 7.4m six berth Apache and love the 'sprawling' room (as in lounging about) however, I am really thinking about these smaller vans for our exploits. SWMBO has different ideas but until I/she understands the differences then we can't evaluate them. There is only the two of us, plus two dogs we take - she is 'scared' about loosing the room, shower, loo, U shaped lounge room and my ability to be 6.9m away at night in the overcab bed once her snoring kicks off.

If you could give us an appraisal then we may take it further.

Regards and Many Thanks,

Trikeman.

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Hi Golly,
with the obvious shift down in size, how are you getting on with the new one?

Currently we have a 7.4m six berth Apache and love the 'sprawling' room (as in lounging about) however, I am really thinking about these smaller vans for our exploits. SWMBO has different ideas but until I/she understands the differences then we can't evaluate them. There is only the two of us, plus two dogs we take - she is 'scared' about loosing the room, shower, loo, U shaped lounge room and my ability to be 6.9m away at night in the overcab bed once her snoring kicks off.

If you could give us an appraisal then we may take it further.

Regards and Many Thanks,

Trikeman.
Hi, as always, the most important thing is the layout, and how you use the van. Our van is just short of 6m (5.99), if I were to change again I would go for the longer van, 6.36m and go for a rear lounge with the option of single beds as in ours there is only one lounging settee. Storage space is another thing to consider, we tend not to use the van shower most of the time, so things like chairs, silver screens, water containers tend to get carried in there, I found we used to carry a load of "stuff" that we never used so had a radical re think on items taken away with us.
I much prefer driving the PVC as I feel more confident in taking it down roads I would of been hesitant to take the coachbuilt on. I don't think I will have another coach built, but if I change again, I don't think it will be a British built one, although having said that there are some good smaller producers I may consider.

PS I quite like the look of the Hobby Vantana K65

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Thanks for the feedback Golly. I suppose we should have a good look around at some and picture ourselves in one - already I can see potential 'issues' with SWMBO and her space 'fetish' - I'm happy get my head down anywhere but she does like her space. I don't mind the driving of a bigger van, quite used to it but the allure of a smaller one does hit me a little.

I can hear her now - "will we able to tow that one on the back of our van"?
:doh:

Regards

Trikeman.

Reactions: DBK

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Hi Trikeman ,We downsize from a coachbuilt and we have not looked back. Ours is the 6.36m with single beds and half dinette. We are just starting our last week of our ten week tour of Scotland and as Golly said I find it a lot easier to drive than the bigger motorhomes down some places we wish to visit.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi, as always, the most important thing is the layout, and how you use the van. Our van is just short of 6m (5.99), if I were to change again I would go for the longer van, 6.36m and go for a rear lounge with the option of single beds as in ours there is only one lounging settee. Storage space is another thing to consider, we tend not to use the van shower most of the time, so things like chairs, silver screens, water containers tend to get carried in there, I found we used to carry a load of "stuff" that we never used so had a radical re think on items taken away with us.
I much prefer driving the PVC as I feel more confident in taking it down roads I would of been hesitant to take the coachbuilt on. I don't think I will have another coach built, but if I change again, I don't think it will be a British built one, although having said that there are some good smaller producers I may consider.

PS I quite like the look of the Hobby Vantana K65
Ours is 5.45 Mrs but being an A class it has a full upstairs bed, a lower bed and oodles of storage but really need to get rid of loads as the more space you have, the more rubbish can be put in. We have 2 underseat storage areas, 5/6 aircraft style drop down storage, 2 cupboards under sink ( ok, 1 1/2), 2 draws under cooker. 6 side pull out storage,1 side of cab door long pull out draw. (around 2.5' long), the wardrobe and the finally the boot which houses the dual gaslow cylinders and a space for 4 decent size crates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back