Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
I hope I dont insult anyone with my thoughts...but personally i cant see the point of curtains in a motorhome when they have blinds. All the ones I have seen look like cheap, badly fitting pieces of cloth, and I just want to rip them down. So am I missing something here?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Our Hobby, admittedly third hand, came with curtain track but no curtains.
I've seen loads of Hobby's with lace curtains but in the UK that seems to be a NoNo.

No doubt a previous owner tore them down.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
All the ones I have seen look like cheap, badly fitting pieces of cloth, and I just want to rip them down. So am I missing something here?

Hymer curtains are anything but 'cheap cloth' .. we had them down for washing and they are heavy quality made curtains..

as for practicality.. the help insulate in winter ..

as for aesthetics, IMO,. , they are nice looking ..

likewise the net curtains.. they provide privacy without blocking light and let you be a curtain twitcher

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Hymer curtains are anything but 'cheap cloth' .. we had them down for washing and they are heavy quality made curtains..

likewise the net curtains.. they provide privacy without blocking light and let you be a curtain twitcher
you find they help with insulation?

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Whilst "abroad" we had many instances of being on Aires next to Johnny Foreigner who had nets in their side windows which made it near impossible for us to see what they were up to!
Seriously though , we felt that we were sat in a goldfish bowl by comparison, and to drop the blinds in someone's face seems a bit churlish .
On our return Mrs Gibbon got on her sewing machine & it's now sorted, we have a little more privacy but can still see what's going on(y)
Our van had green curtains on tracks but they were a bit crap. I think they were just there on tie backs just to hide the plastic blind frames. Gone now.
Actually I don't remember seeing a foreign van without nets at all.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We have curtains in our 2003 Autocruise Starspirit and they are of good quality. Make the van very cosy on a winter's night. Better than looking at a "cold" blind.
But cannot see the sense in these "dummy" curtains fitted to some vans.
mine are nice quality in bessacar and are ok to use without feeling of closed in

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Voiles are a must when you are inches from the van next door on an aire.

That's why continental vans have them.

Not such an issue when you are a minimum of 6 metres from the next pitch and that is why Brit vans don't have them!

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
a lot of vans have blinds and curtains but the curtains are just to dress the window frame ..no good for anything but make it pretty

Reactions: Sue

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
not had a chance to test yet.. but yes, they must do .. another barrier to heat loss..

Yes they do and as you say the Hymers like ours are very good quality and made of heavy material.
We use our van all year and visit the alps in winter to ski and temperatures there can get down to minus 25 at night. The curtains retain more heat than just the blinds alone. Wouldn't be without ours.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Our hymer curtains are a nice quality
we use them in the summer as sun shades
also if you want to use the van in the day time just shut them the blinds can make it dark and can feel closed in

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

I guessed you might have been :rofl::rofl::rofl::wink:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Net curtains, can't stand them. Cut down the light in MH as well as in the home.
Bit like cushions! Just in the way, no useful purpose........................:reel:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Delighted to find a load of nonsense spouted out about curtains for a change.

I have curtains (net AND normal) and pelmets and blinds and fly screens and I use all of them at different times and circumstances.

Any one who thinks blinds are the same as curtains certainly isn't a Rufty Tufty Off-Site motorhomer!

(Was that a bit strong? I just get so annoyed at times...)

JJ :cool:

PS. and if I didn't have net curtains, my Princess wouldn't have been able to repair them for me that time!

Sorry if you don't understand this PS. It is a bikini wearing thing... ;)

Net Curtain Repairs 2 .jpg

More about net curtains posted here!

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/help-really-needed-not-a-joke.51063/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Delighted to find a load of nonsense spouted out about curtains for a change.

I have curtains (net AND normal) and pelmets and blinds and fly screens and I use all of them at different times and circumstances.

Any one who thinks blinds are the same as curtains certainly isn't a Rufty Tufty Off-Site motorhomer!

(Was that a bit strong? I just get so annoyed at times...)

JJ :cool:

PS. and if I didn't have net curtains, my Princess wouldn't have been able to repair them for me that time!

Sorry if you don't understand this PS. It is a bikini wearing thing... ;)
i never knew curtains could evoke such passion....love it!

Reactions: JJ

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
LOL - our Pilote has voile Roman Blinds on quite nice metal poles, They have a widish dark brown band down the sides where the blind frame (for the concertina blinds and flyscreen run) is to hide them. I'm not a big fan of nets or voiles, but I do quite like them. I thought I wouldn't, and had already thought about what to have instead - could have tab top curtains as the poles are nice - but I do. If we are anywhere nice where we want to look out at the view - then we pull em up. LOL They certainly don't stop the daylight as the voile is near enough flat when they are open.

You do need a bath to launder them in though!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we bought our van the cab curtain didn't fit properly so let in draughts. The other curtains were only false decorative ones. We bought some, reasonably cheap, ready made curtains from a local shop and Jill made new cap curtains plus ones for the windows (except galley, hab door and washroom). They do cut down heat loss in winter and are nice looking as @ScotJimland said.

The washroom window is plain so Jill made a net for it.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Our Burstner 748 that we full timed in for over 7 years had very good blinds net fly screens but the curtains were only decoration pitty as they were very good quality. We found in the winter that the blinds did not always do a good job so we fitted small diameter curtain poles to the lounge area windows and ann made some very thick curtains out of towels she bought from Asda. These worked very well at keeping cold out and slid along the poles very well. We sold the van with them still in place and the company that took our van in PX said how nice they were and where did we get them from. We told him home made.

steve & ann. ---------- teensvan

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our Rapido has nets, which are useful sometimes for privacy, together with the usual flyscreen and blind. Thr curtains though are dummies just to hide the window frames and don't even have a track just velcro. I don't like them but swmbo does so they're staying.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
  • Our Rapido has nets, which are useful sometimes for privacy, together with the usual flyscreen and blind. Thr curtains though are dummies just to hide the window frames and don't even have a track just velcro. I don't like them but swmbo does so they're staying.
  • its not the nets i dont quite get...although I'm not keen, but can see the point now (privacy)...its the skimpy cheap bits of material tied back at the windows that bother me.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Our Hymer has nets & curtains.
I thought nets, curtains in a MH.........why?
The nets are fantastic on Aires as you can be fairly close to your neighbour and they help with a bit of privacy.
The curtains are good heavy cotton and combined with the screens do help in cold weather, plus the Hymer blinds come up from the bottom so if they are left up for a long time they tend not to like it, drawing the curtains to keep the sun out & protect your cushions is a better option!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have put long curtains in our PVC to cover the rear doors and make it warmer in cold weather and also to block out the light from the windows as blinds never do stop it totally. I haven't made any for the other window at the foot of the bed but may do so for the same reason if necessary. I've also got some full height ones for use in winter that can be stuck-up with velcro around the cab giving extra insulation as the windows being single panes don't keep the cold out and you still get some draughts from the doors as they never ever seal completely, these can be used even when the internal screens are on giving even more insulation.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Our Autosleeper has wavy patterned fly screens. silvered blinds and fully lined heavy weight curtains held in place by press studs when closed to hold them tight against the frame. They prevent cold dropping from the window and deaden the sound within and from outside. With the blinds open and the sun on the window it makes the lighting very cosy on a cold morning.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've just gone for the standard double glazed window units with the fly screen and pull up blind all round on our PVC .
We have a new external silverscreen for the winter months. Complete with drop down front with mesh insert.
As I type Ralph's fitting the Remis blinds he ordered. We decided they would be a good idea after our last , unfinished trip out to Newark. We didn't want any curtains , but needed something when walking about without the silverscreen on. If partly dressed etc.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We've just gone for the standard double glazed window units with the fly screen and pull up blind all round on our PVC .
We have a new external silverscreen for the winter months. Complete with drop down front with mesh insert.
As I type Ralph's fitting the Remis blinds he ordered. We decided they would be a good idea after our last , unfinished trip out to Newark. We didn't want any curtains , but needed something when walking about without the silverscreen on. If partly dressed etc.
that sounds great..any pics?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back