Lidl Portable Satalite System- HELP (1 Viewer)

paul&stella

Free Member
Jul 6, 2008
Funster No
We're not having a great time with technology recently, so we're actually hardly surprised that our new Portable Satalite System recently bought from Lidl doesn't work! Or should I say that we can't get ours to work! Is there anyone else out there who has one who can tell us if thiers works?
There is going to be one satalite system well and truly in orbit if I can't get the ***** thing working!

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Possibly not got your dish aligned.
Did it come with a sat finder or not?

I'm assuming the thing does power up ok? If not, then it goes straight back to Lidl.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I never had any joy with mine, I threw it in a skip in France. That said, my wife says I have the patience of a psychopath::bigsmile: I have since met loads of people who use them and say that once you get the knack of tuning them in they are great bits of kit. I will never know, I wouldn't buy another::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

paul&stella

Free Member
Jul 6, 2008
Funster No
Possibly not got your dish aligned.
Did it come with a sat finder or not?

I'm assuming the thing does power up ok? If not, then it goes straight back to Lidl.

yes it came with a sort of manuel thing but not sure how it works it has a paper disk and a compass thingy tryed pointing it all over but no signal at all

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
should have gone to Specsavers (Sorry Road Pro):ROFLMAO:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
yes it came with a sort of manuel thing but not sure how it works it has a paper disk and a compass thingy tryed pointing it all over but no signal at all

Best thing you can do is to buy a meter from maplins connect inline to your dish peice of cake

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC5wu49VLRg&feature=related"]Click here[/ame]

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We bought one from maplins a few yrs ago :ROFLMAO:My mate set it up in about 2 / 3 mins then moved the dish and told me to have a go :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: half hour later I got a picture :thumb: then one min after he moved the dish again :cry:
Have another go :Sad: :ROFLMAO: 20 mins later :thumb:
Yep you guessed it --have another go,but this time I suckered it to the van side :thumb:::bigsmile:,took another 20 mins after which I had lost the plot and my mate took all of 30 secs to align it --stuck my head in the van to see a fantastic picture disappear as I stepped into the van :cry: moving the dish out of alignment :ROFLMAO:He told me I had to do this every time we moved--- align the dish -- not for dummy's like me :Doh: took it back and got my money back---but now I keep reading how people can set them up in a couple of mins and keep thinking SHALL I get one :Blush::ROFLMAO::Smile:
terry

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
sat dish

hi paul and stella
i had one of those no problems just a bit fiddly, trial and error at first, but you quickly get the hang of it.
if you press the info button on the remote control, it gives you a signal strength and signal quality bar on the telly.
if you further press the number 1 button on the remote it gives an audible signal from the telly the higher it goes the better the signal.
i use this method for setting the dish up, i also have a sat finder £3.99 off ebay works fine.

live long and prosper:roflmto::thumb:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We use a folding dish on a tripod, it usually takes only a couple of minutes to set up. We have not taken it out of England so have no idea how it would perform. The problem we have at the moment is---- when we moved to the spot we are now in there were no leaves on the trees, now that the leaves are coming they are blocking the signal, and we have had to move it further away!!
The signal on analogue is REALLY bad, we have tried several digital aerials and none have worked here!!! -------So we are going to stick with our dish.
We can't justify the cost of the auto ones!!! also with the trees alongside us, one on the roof would not see a satalite.
Nigel & Pamala

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
TV

We have a Maplins system. Works fine as far south as the loire.
Just takes time to develop the knack. Then you become the expert to help others. Last time I rendered assistance was two weeks ago and that guy thought he had been sold a pup also.

Steve

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
We have had one for a few years, first time I stuck it on the van I got a picture :thumb:, went away & spent all weekend & got nothing at all except frustrated :Angry: I then had a look on a few sites to understand why I couldn't get it working. There are only really 4 elements involved,
1 Make sure you are on the right satelite Astra 28 for the UK channels
2 The elvatation of the dish - if you set the dish vertical it should be somewhere near.
3 The skew of the LNB - this is how the LNB (the bit stuck on the end of the arm & how much to rotate it) not sure what it is actually but from memory it should be turned a bit clockwise when looking towards the dish. This isn't that critical until you get down into southern Europe.
4 The azimuth - this is which direction you point it. In our case it wants to be 28 degrees to the east of south. Easiest way is to first try it out where you can see where the other dishes are pointing.

It isn't that difficult when you get the hang of it, it is easier if somebody can show you how to do it. I was getting all the channels as far down as Capbreton in southwest France & could get the news & radio stations all the way down the south of Spain.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
We have had one for a few years, first time I stuck it on the van I got a picture :thumb:, went away & spent all weekend & got nothing at all except frustrated :Angry: I then had a look on a few sites to understand why I couldn't get it working. There are only really 4 elements involved,
1 Make sure you are on the right satelite Astra 28 for the UK channels
2 The elvatation of the dish - if you set the dish vertical it should be somewhere near.
3 The skew of the LNB - this is how the LNB (the bit stuck on the end of the arm & how much to rotate it) not sure what it is actually but from memory it should be turned a bit clockwise when looking towards the dish. This isn't that critical until you get down into southern Europe.
4 The azimuth - this is which direction you point it. In our case it wants to be 28 degrees to the east of south. Easiest way is to first try it out where you can see where the other dishes are pointing.

It isn't that difficult when you get the hang of it, it is easier if somebody can show you how to do it. I was getting all the channels as far down as Capbreton in southwest France & could get the news & radio stations all the way down the south of Spain.

Agreed, Especially point two which seems to be the most common mistake. :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We got our cheapo system from Aldi's.. I have a sneaky feeling it is proly the same unit as as the Lidl one ?

I found there is a very nice 'meter' built in to the receiver which allows a pretty quick set up as it is quite sensitive.. Might be worth trolling through the menus to see if yours has something similar :Smile:

OP
OP
P

paul&stella

Free Member
Jul 6, 2008
Funster No
thanks for all the advice chaps! Finally solved it though - BY TAKING THE ***** THING BACK and spending what was left of Bank Holiday in front of the widescreen in the house lounge. Problem solved! The wife thought the idea of having a motorhome was to enjoy the scenery not sitting in front of a portable TV, satalite or no satalite - couldn't answer that one.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Hello, I'd add one thing to Kon Tiki's list between 1 and 2, make sure the tripod is vertical (with a bubble) as typically, in the South of England, elevation is approx 25 degrees, which can go very pear shaped and waste much time if the tripod is not vertical! Speaks from bitter experience ::bigsmile:

We've used ours in Northern Europe with some success but would appreciate any advice concerning dish size for the South?

Regards

Mick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back