Which Is The Best New Engine And Chassis (1 Viewer)

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Interested in opinions on the new Fiat engine and chassis and also the new Peugeot engine and chassis with regards to hill climbing and braking

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
They are all only as good as the cheap electronics, if the computer says no, you're going nowhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The Fiat and the Peugeot are the same vehicle from the same factory so absolutely nothing to choose between them. The Citroen Relay is also the same vehicle. They are all part of the SEVEL group joint venture.

The Merc Sprinter used to always be considered better but from all reports I've seen that isn't the case any more. Some people are even suggesting that the new Ducato/Boxer/Relay is better than the new Sprinter.

Either way the general consensus is that the Merc definitely isn't worth the £10 - £15k more for the base chassis these days.

Just to throw a spanner in the works some converters use the Ford Transit and I think someone uses an Iveco chassis as well.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I have the new Fiat 2.3l upgraded to 150bhp and comfortmatic gearbox. I find it copes really well on the roads I have driven on so far over the last three months. The interior is nice enough but I don't have the high expectations of some others. Acceleration is fine up to 50/60mph when fully loaded but after that it is sluggish to 140mph ;). I very seldom drive it over 2000rpm and it copes well on hills, even with the cruise control on; never had to intervene manually so far. I would say that the 130bhp would be fine on 3500kg vans but would go 150bhp if you can. The 3l version obviously would cope much better but I doubt it would be required in most driving situations. However, if I ever go over 3500kg I would choose the 3l. So, in the short time I have had it, I feel it is comfortable to drive, powerful enough to cope with most situations and returns 25mpg minimum so it is good enough for me. Good luck with your choice.(y)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Sorry but I'd choose a modern Fiat over a modern Merc every time.
Was a big Merc fan for 25 years, cars and trucks, had 7 new E class Mercs and numerous trucks.
But the later trucks were unreliable and the last 2 cars I had were total junk.
Just because its got a Merc badge doesnt guarantee quality anymore just makes it more expensive.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
(Either way the general consensus is that the Merc definitely isn't worth the £10 - £15k more for the base chassis these days.

Just to throw a spanner in the works some converters use the Ford Transit and I think someone uses an Iveco chassis as well.) quote

Don't forget the Renault master! They do both front and rear wheel drive,

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ours is on a Ducato 2.3l 150bhp, manual gearbox, plated at 3850kg and it's plenty powerful enough for me. It's nice to drive and we get mid to high 20s mpg.
Even if it was capable of doing it I wouldn't want to drive something shaped like a brick with the aerodynamic properties of Anne Widdecombe much faster than I do now.

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Mercedes any day, we have sold our fiat base euro 5 engined Hymer as the front wheel drive let me down when on gravel with any load in the back of the van, mind you the fuel economy was good, but I would rather pay more for fuel and have the confidence in the rear wheel drive,
Mickymouse.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Agree with Bobpalt ,
Our new 610 Chausson has the new ford transit with 155 bhp upgrade, just done 3,500 miles in last month through Italy, and can say that the engine and chassis plus the smoothness of the gearbox performed brilliantly. Over the years engines etc have become more and more reliable with fewer and fewer manufacturers, however, having had Mercedes and many others in the past mostly on cars I can say that they all break down at some point.
Etap

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
The best thing about my new Hymer is the Merc engine and gearbox.
The thing I don't like is the body roll, similar to Plymouth to Santander in a storm.
Stef.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
The Fiat and the Peugeot are the same vehicle from the same factory so absolutely nothing to choose between them. The Citroen Relay is also the same vehicle. They are all part of the SEVEL group joint venture.
Exactly what I thought
I have a new fiat, however it's got the ford engine

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Exactly what I thought
I have a new fiat, however it's got the ford engine

It won't have the Ford engine if it is a Fiat. Ford didn't enter into the Euro van agreement.

If you have a motor home with the Ford engine then you won't be disappointed however.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Either way the general consensus is that the Merc definitely isn't worth the £10 - £15k more for the base chassis these days.

I considered it was worth the extra £11,000 for the Merc, but that was based more on the twin rear wheel drive and a proper epicyclic gear train rather than a Robotized manual gearbox. I was very pleased with the 3.0litre Fiat coupled to a manual G/box but if you go for an auto the Merc has the superior engineering and subsequent smoother take up of drive, which is vitally important when using wheel chock levelers like quattros.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Sorry but I'd choose a modern Fiat over a modern Merc every time.
Was a big Merc fan for 25 years, cars and trucks, had 7 new E class Mercs and numerous trucks.
But the later trucks were unreliable and the last 2 cars I had were total junk.
Just because its got a Merc badge doesnt guarantee quality anymore just makes it more expensive.
Agree to a point.
I've drove merc since 1990, new 200's, c class, e class and now I've have the s320. Agreed, build quality not what it was in the past but there is simply nothing out there that comes close to the drive it offers. Appreciate its not the case with a van which all motorhomes are based on.
Next one will be possibly the new e350 cdi as the price of the s class isn't justifiable in my opinion.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
It won't have the Ford engine if it is a Fiat. Ford didn't enter into the Euro van agreement.

If you have a motor home with the Ford engine then you won't be disappointed however.
Took it to my mechanics for a service they told me defo a ford engine (63 plate) I was surprised as well but your right been very pleased with it so far

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I considered it was worth the extra £11,000 for the Merc, but that was based more on the twin rear wheel drive and a proper epicyclic gear train rather than a Robotized manual gearbox. I was very pleased with the 3.0litre Fiat coupled to a manual G/box but if you go for an auto the Merc has the superior engineering and subsequent smoother take up of drive, which is vitally important when using wheel chock levelers like quattros.

If a gear box is worth that much more to you then it's your choice obviously. Personally I've never had and problems with front wheel drive and a manual box.
I based my post on everything I've read on the subject and overall opinion is drifting away from the Merc although of course it will always have it's fans. Obviously if you want a particular arrangement that is only available on one chassis then you will prefer it over the others.
I've not had any experience of Merc based motorhomes but plenty using Merc panel vans and I have to say that I really don't agree that there is anything superior about them, engineering or otherwise. 10-15 years ago maybe but things have changed.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Pugs Citroen and Transits all use the same engine. Fiat use there own slightly different version -Iveco and Renault use more or less the same engine be it FWD or RWD -I also think the fiat uses one from the same Soffin factory -Obviously I stand to be corrected :D
terry

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
Is the 3 litre 180 bhp Fiat engine worth 50 kgs off the user payload against the 150 bhp 2.3 litre. Plus of course about £2000.00, but I think that includes front suspension upgrade. Looking at pulling 4250 kgs and 750 kgs trailer.

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I work for a company that runs 22 Fiat Ducato mini buses based on maxi motorhome chassis, all are fitted with 3 litre 160 hp engines and comfortmatic gearboxes, from my own experience the engines are excellent but the gearboxes don't work very well on a bus. lots of engine management issues, 2 clutch failures, faulty radiators, abs warning lights, unable to select any gear. all the buses we have seem to have clutch slip issues, on steep inclines the clutch just starts to slip and burn. now nearly 2 years old and about 20,000 miles, cant imagine what they will be like in another 2 years !

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I can only say as I find. I have driven several Mercedes Sprinter vans. The one I last ran had 750.000 Kilometers and the engine was fine and is still running and doing long trips around Europe.
They are not as good as some people expect. The bodywork on mine was rusting in places. The only major parts that needed replacing was a starter motor, some hydraulic steering pipes, rear wheel bearings and a prop shaft. Oh, and some censors packed up on the engine management system which had to be replaced.

My Fiat Ducato 130 Multyjet had 38.000 kilometers and the synchronization has gone on second gear. I haven't had it fixed as I have been told that clutches don't last long either.
And before anyone says " Yes, but a Motor home is always driven fully loaded" so was my Mercedes Sprinter and no way would I drive the MH as I used to drive the Mercedes.

If I were going to change the MH no way would I go the Fiat route.

OP
OP
Polar bear
Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Have bought new van with a fiat 150 engine van is 4.25 ton and climbs the steep hill to my house in third gear no problem.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Not completely true - at the moment - the Citroen & Peugeot are using a 2.0 AdBlue power plant for their Euro 6, whilst Fiat still have a 2.3 using EGR to have Euro 6 compliance.
I suspect the different marques also come with different 'toys' even if the base chassis is identical.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back