Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi All,

Got an email today from Eurotunnel (as I'm travelling with them soon) offering me a €10 discount on a Sanef Toll Tag. Although the tag was gratis, the rest of the deal seemed pricey? €20 refundable deposit on the tag, then €6 for an annual subscription, then a €5 usage fee for the month used. You still have to pay the toll of course!

I don't use tolls very often, but I'm envious of those that fly through the toll booths whilst I queue! I queued for nearly an hour once on the Pont du Normandie!

Might be a goer if you travel in France regularly?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think you've answered your own question. If you only go a couple of times a year it's probably not worth it. If you're there a lot then it probably is for convenience.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Last time I looked there was a 3 metre height limit for Sanef toll tags.

We're 3.05m so I've decided to wait until the limit is raised.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi
Bought a Tag,after endless hassle by,"First wife".1. Not lowering window. 2. Not undoing seat belt. 3. Dropping change. 4.Question,"What do i do next".5. Going into melt down,when i verbaly chastise her,when i have to draw forward and pay/enter card,which i had already said was the easiest option 400 km earlier !!!
So. Tag offers seamless journeys throughout France... NO hassle to me. Bonus ?. It is also a lot cheaper than selling this PVC and buying a Left hooker LOL..
Tea Bag
Ps. Hooker ?......... mmmm. LOL

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We bought one a couple of years ago and it was a best buy. It saves all the stress of finding change or reaching to an inconvenient slot. We don't use tolls all the time but we often do for bypassing the bigger towns and cities. Of course these roads have more traffic and toll points so it tends to save a lot in time and stress. Its like so many other things, how do you value the convenience?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
I can not see the point of paying for Tolls, whilst on Holiday, whether in France, or anywhere else. I spent over 20 years driving on every Motorway in the UK ( Mainland), whilst being employed as a Service Engineer for various companies. It was in my own interest to get to the place of a Breakdown, or general Service work, as soon as possible. The sooner I got to the place, the sooner I could do the work required, and be on my way, either home, or to the next place, depending on what time of the Day it was. I was paid by monthly Salary, and not on Hourly Rate, so therefore no Overtime. Many a time, especially on Fridays, I would drive like a man posessed, so that I could get home ASAP.
Now, having been retired for over 3 years, the last thing I need to do, is to Race down a Toll Road in France. I came back from a 3 week holiday in France recently, having spent a whole week to meander down to the South Coast of France, not on a single Toll. We were round Carnon, Val Ras, etc. Spent a week down there, and then spent a week meandering back to Dunkirk. My wife still works, but we did not feel the need to rush. It's all in the planning of the Holiday. I know, some people still work, and others travel further , down to Spain, Portugal etc. but why rush when on Holiday. You spend your whole life rushing around for other people's benefit ( Your Employer, kids to School, Hospital Appointments, etc. etc. ) Why rush whilst on Holiday?? Beats me.
BillyS

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Exactly.. We have limited time and therefore like to get to places as soon as possible.. Also we don't mind paying tolls. Paying with a tag means it's convenient and there are often no queues..
Its one of those choice things

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am in the middle on this argument. Generally I avoid toll roads, but not always. If it is sensible I will use them, especially if I want to avoid the chaos of a town centre that I just want to drive through rather than visit.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I can not see the point of paying for Tolls, whilst on Holiday, whether in France, or anywhere else... Why rush whilst on Holiday?? Beats me.

Why do I rush around and pay for toll roads?

1. The diesel, booze, certain foodstuffs and MH stopovers are all cheaper in France than here so the cost all evens out.
2. Autoroutes are largely empty so you can go longer distances in a shorter time and arrive far less frazzled than if you've driven on 'A' roads with lights, roundabouts, junctions, local traffic, tractors, trucks, cyclists, BMWs, blind corners with the steering wheel on the wrong side etc. You can overtake things easily on an Autoroute, or just cruise if you want.
3. We want to visit a good variety of places in our limited time abroad - we rarely spend more than 3 nights anywhere, usually less. Given a choice between exploring a range of interesting destinations and meandering through endless empty French villages with 20mph speed limits in the centre and more roundabouts than the average fun fair I know what I'd rather be doing. "Ooh look, another long shady row of plane trees, and there's someone carrying a baguette - how French' doesn't quite do it for me - it's all about personal choice in the end isn't it?

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I find it strange that the major City by-passes in France have to be paid for.

In Spain the major city by-passes are always the toll free bit.

PS I don't do Tolls, never have, and hopefully never will.

:cooler:

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Why do I rush around and pay for toll roads?

1. The diesel, booze, certain foodstuffs and MH stopovers are all cheaper in France than here so the cost all evens out.
2. Autoroutes are largely empty so you can go longer distances in a shorter time and arrive far less frazzled than if you've driven on 'A' roads with lights, roundabouts, junctions, local traffic, tractors, trucks, cyclists, BMWs, blind corners with the steering wheel on the wrong side etc. You can overtake things easily on an Autoroute, or just cruise if you want.
3. We want to visit a good variety of places in our limited time abroad - we rarely spend more than 3 nights anywhere, usually less. Given a choice between exploring a range of interesting destinations and meandering through endless empty French villages with 20mph speed limits in the centre and more roundabouts than the average fun fair I know what I'd rather be doing. "Ooh look, another long shady row of plane trees, and there's someone carrying a baguette - how French' doesn't quite do it for me - it's all about personal choice in the end isn't it?
Lol

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.

That reads more like the musings of a long distance lorry driver, than someone on holiday.

But each to their own.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
So don't you travel long distances then @mariner?
If you do and you have the time to meander and is what you want to do then thats great.. For me I know where I'm going and I have limited time to get there... Why go slow when the French provide a great Road network I dont mind paying to use.
We enjoy our holidays thanks and I gave up long distance lorry driving ages ago. It was nothing like driving around in a motorhome.(y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
That reads more like the musings of a long distance lorry driver, than someone on holiday.

But each to their own.

When I go abroad I want to see loads of new things I've never seen before. I can sit around doing nothing at home if I need a rest.

As you say, each to their own. (y)

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I do travel long distances, but to me the journey is as important as the destination, I want to see as much of the country as possible. If I spot something of interest, I want to be able to stop and have a look.

There are some little gems hidden away off the motorways, and you'll never see them on a toll road.

I used to drive up to 100 thousand miles a year in my work so driving was a chore, but now it's an adventure.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
We have a tag and love it must admit it did spoil my fun laughing at the wife trying to pay tolls

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
"Long distance lorry driver.." The common link ? "Wild camping". Wild being the operative word....sshhhhh!!!
Tea Bag

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Us Brits can't accept tolls easily as we aren't used to them. Fewer people than expected use the M6 toll road. Got to say the cost of French tolls does make my £165 per annum road tax look like a good deal.
How much to use the Dartford Crossing if that was in France? More than £1.65 I betcha.
I don't use toll roads in France, many run alongside deserted N roads. I'm never in a hurry, also mean.
Spent too much time on boring motorways when I was a wage slave.

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
The Sanef tag seems expensive. We have a tag from ATMB we got it completely free for the first year now we only pay 1.60 euros a month that we use it in, plus the tolls. The charge to our halifax clarity card in euros. Had it almost 2 years and its great!

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
The Sanef tag seems expensive. We have a tag from ATMB we got it completely free for the first year now we only pay 1.60 euros a month that we use it in, plus the tolls. The charge to our halifax clarity card in euros. Had it almost 2 years and its great!

Think they have the same offer on again, seems better value than the sanef one although I haven't read all the t&c's yet.
Broken Link Removed

Oldyamyam

Free Member
May 4, 2012
France
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 1991
We have a tag from the Alis network, we got it on a special offer, only paid a €30 refundable deposit don't pay a monthly fee and have a reduced toll for one section of our choice on their network.
Living in France we have to use the toll roads to get anywhere in a reasonable time, for instance later this month I have to attend a hospital appointment in Angers which even on the motorway is a 2 hour drive from home. If I used the N roads it would probably take another hour to get there.

Dave

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Being wage slaves, we invested in the Sanef tag to make our selected use of tolls easier in our limited time in France (currently at Parc Verger for a couple of nights). I got a deal with the Chunnel crossing on the tag, the convenience of which has made it a worthwhile purchase.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
"Katie" in my cheapy Chinese sat nav knows better than to point me in the direction of a toll. She is an Aberdonian at heart, a braw lass !
Unlike Mrs Moo, she does what she is told ;)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure who the posh tart in my Garmin camper is, but she has some directional issues and is not to be entirely trusted around some French towns/villages...

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
not to be entirely trusted around some French towns/villages.

My Katie coped admirably with German and Belgian places, only one criticism, she doesn't just say turn back where you can, if you have been so arrogant as to ignore her directions. Being set up as a truck, she will take you on a run around to get you back on her recalculated route. I could override that function but I prefer to leave it, may upset locals doing a three pointer in the High St. (or their equivalent) :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
[QUOTE="mariner, post: 1457353, member: 29109"

There are some little gems hidden away off the motorways, and you'll never see them on a toll road.

:cooler:[/QUOTE]

Nor if you travel in the dark ! :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back