Awnings - Safari/residence V Awning Room Panels V Not Bother? (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi all,
Advice/your views appreciated on the following;
I inherited two Omnistor Awning Safari/Residence rooms with my motorhome purchase.
After checking both awnings to see what was in the bags, I've found that both awnings are incorrect sizes for my motorhome canopy which is 5m long and xxl high for the fitted awning side panels.

First awning is an Omnistor Safari room and doesn't include poles/masts/rafters - only the front & side panels - which are wrong size for the van. - advertised for sale on classifieds as no good for me.

Second awning is a brand new still in box Omnistor Residence G2 - includes everything you'd expect - just wrong size for my van.

Spoke to the dealer to enquire if there was a mix up with someone else awnings (a joke) and managed to speak with the original owner who said he never opened either awning bags whilst he had the motorhome, so couldn't help.

I had been watching the exact same awning, but my correct size, advertised on Ebay, with a view to buying and then trying to sell both of mine, but the cost spiralled out of control and this has now been sold.

So, my options are to keep the second awning and pay to have it altered to fit.
Sell both awnings and buy the correct size with the proceeds plus putting to.
Sell both awnings and not bother and just use the canopy
or, sell both awnings and buy awning room panel/sides from somewhere like Parrot Awnings

A friend told me that he got a new awning with his motorhome, but hardly uses it, because is weighs a ton to carry, is a faf to put up, keeps them awake at night with flapping in the wind and is a concern if there's gusts of wind, whether his canopy/van will get damaged. - which is all food for thought, plus, we'd probably only use it if we were staying on site for a week or more.

We have a toddler and an ever growing amount of associated crap to take with us to provide amusement and occupy, so I liked the idea of the awning room for storage and play area.
However, with a large garage for storage, it's no big deal to continue using this if we don't take an awning room.

So, what's your thoughts?
Do you have a Safari / residence room and if so, is it worthwhile taking and using?
Do you take it down in bad weather/wind?
Do you have one and can't be bothered using it/taking it for whatever reason?

do you have wind/weather protector panels - like what Parrot awnings sell? - and what's your thoughts on these?

As always, your views will be appreciated!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have a solution for you, well it is what we did anyway. Our safari room was a teeny bit too small, but we got it for a bargain price. Essentially the front panel is too short, leaving a gap. We solved this using a JML snap in screen which we purchased from Robert Dyas (other hardware stores are available) for the princely sum of £9.99!
I will edit in a mo and add a photo.

[edit as promised]
Here you can see the gap, photo taken by my wife as I was garden testing the awning :D
Our snap in screen perfectly fills the gap.
awning.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would suggest a drive away awning might be more useful. I think the main problems with what you have are their bulk, faff putting up as already mentioned and the fact they are not exactly storm-proof, more strong gust of wind-proof if well tied down. And they will flap and rattle.

A screw to go into the ground and a length of cord attached to the toddler might be easier! :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So, what's your thoughts?
Do you have a Safari / residence room and if so, is it worthwhile taking and using?
Do you take it down in bad weather/wind?

Have one because someone was selling it very cheap on here. Superb piece of kit, seriously over-engineered so very heavy at about 40kg.

But if in one place for a while it more than doubles our living area and it's so robust I would leave it up in anything short of a gale. Because it's a closed box the wind cannot get under it so if tied down properly pretty secure.

We've got quite slick at erecting it in calm conditions. It does require a pair of small steps to erect it. Dismantling in good conditions is very quick. However it would be a different matter if windy and raining.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Same as Brian. Have one only because someone was getting rid of it very cheap. It's never been out of my garage at home since I bought it.

I don't really get them personally. We've got plenty of room for 3 of us and 2 dogs inside the van and if the weather's nice the last place I want to sit is inside a glorified tent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I'm a fan of 'stand alone' units as these tend to be lighter. Be mindful of the weight of whatever you decide as it obviously has to eat into your payload.

Deleted User
Saw a lot of motorhomers on site in Portugal last winter with one of these:

Broken Link Removed

All 4 sides are detachable so can be used as a gazebo.

One Frenchman near us left his up all winter and survived strong winds and rain OK

We have just bought one for €149.90 from Decathlon in France so a little bit cheaper with the current exchange rate. Weighs 14.9k and folds up into a bag 90x30x25 cm or at least that what it came in, haven't tried to get it back in yet:)

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Got one with van, good piece of kit, and mine fits ! but have never "used" just trialled setting it up.
I haven't got a problem with the weight, just where to put it. The Fiammi box on the back which I think was put on the van at the same time to accommodate it, is occupied by my folding bike and some other essentials (fishing associated ! )
Conclusion - I would never have purchased it because of the way we tend to use our van. I think that is the question you need to ask yourselves. :)

Last edited:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
If your stopping in one place for a decent time ok to put up, if for a day or two forget it, I dont have that type but have seen them up in all weathers, if its just for storage or kitchen use, a freestanding does the job ok. pete

Deleted User
I cobbled this
IMG_1179.JPG
together for our 5'er from an omnistor safari room that I bought 2nd hand on site. It was not high enough so I had some mod's done locally in Portugal, I do not use the very well made aluminium attachment fittings and made a sort of decking out of pallets. This construction will only be going up and down once a year and to be honest even using the correct bits I do not think that I would fancy doing it even once a week. A very well designed and manufactured piece of kit though.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Awnings are a great addition to a van and can more than double the size of your living space .We like all types of camping ,site wild and touring a night at a time from place to place ,but we also have our favourite few sites with great locations where're everything is within walking distance,it's in such places I'd not be without an awning.It can be put up in around 30 mins or so and down just as quick with a bit of practice
Having two children it's a huge room for them to play or sleep in and if the weather is not great it's a welcome porch to leave your wet coats and boots in.
Having a Mh and using it the same way day in and day out would be like having one sexual position ,spice it up a bit and add an awning!

Vlad

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya they are quite good if staying for along time and you have payload to spare..... but the problem we had was wind coming under van especially around wheel arch..

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
You know what I would say!

We had a privacy room and in my opinion they are fine for long stays providing you have the space/payload for them. We stay at places for between one and 5 nights so our panels suit us just fine.

I notice you are in West Yorks, you are welcome to come over for a demo.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have had a safari room on all our motorhomes, typical the wind out awnings have all been different sizes, first we did was take them to a sail maker and get them altered, even had heavy duty zips fitted to the sides to get rid of those awful plastic figure of 8 channels, only cost £60 all in.

Have just purchased a brand new Safari room but only bought the sides and frame work £670 from Hill View Awnings, as we only stay in anyone place for 4/5 nights tops it`s so easy to put up and take down.

Terry and Jan

Free Member
Feb 25, 2014
Saltash,Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Got one with the our motorhome, took it away with us for the first weekend, ruddy nightmare, heavy, stuck in the middle of the rear for travelling, raining when we arrived, no where to put it. My advice ditch it unless you intend to set up as a tugger for four or five days.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We still have the drive away that we got with our very first van.... it is heavy and awkward and a pain to put up and take down. At present it is filling most of the wardrobe in the guest bedroom. The stand alone that @matamoros suggests (or something similar) if quick to put up and take down would be much better when on site for more than a couple of nights. Otherwise it's a couple of cheap wind breaks and parasols (or umbrellas)!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Wind under the m/h. C/van awnings come with a "Skirt ?" This slots into a J section,fitted under/along the base of the van,easy enough to fettle up,from double sided sticky tape,two bog roll cardboard centres and some..... Blue sky thinking LOL.
Tea Bag

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Got one with the our motorhome, took it away with us for the first weekend, ruddy nightmare, heavy, stuck in the middle of the rear for travelling, raining when we arrived, no where to put it. My advice ditch it unless you intend to set up as a tugger for four or five days.

We still have the drive away that we got with our very first van.... it is heavy and awkward and a pain to put up and take down. At present it is filling most of the wardrobe in the guest bedroom.

Another thing to think about is what do you do with it if you take it down wet, it will be even heavier and will need hanging out when you get back. Our panels can be put away wet, in fact we put it away wet after the Lincoln show and forgot about it until spring. It was still wet but no mold or mildew.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Another thing to think about is what do you do with it if you take it down wet, it will be even heavier and will need hanging out when you get back. Our panels can be put away wet, in fact we put it away wet after the Lincoln show and forgot about it until spring. It was still wet but no mold or mildew.

We don't have a wind-out awning (and it would be on the "wrong" side as ours is a Euro-van) so the panels won't work for us but they are a great idea :)

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Thanks everyone - some useful suggestions and advice given.

I've decided to see how much it will cost for my current awning to be shortened in length (5.5m to 5m - although the front panel usually measures around 4.8m on a 5m) as its brand new and complete.
If I get a shock, there'll be another awning sale and that being the case, I will buy a Lillypad type.
Will keep you posted on how much they charge to shorten the front panel.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We have a drive away awning but only use it as a stand alone tent . we use it when we are overwintering in Spain and often sit out in windy weather or later into the evening when it can get chilly to sit out when the sun goes down. We have plenty of other travellers say how jealous they are at our arrangement and they turn up the following year with a similar type tent . The awning is now 7 years old and very sturdy (metal poles) it cost £300 from Peterborough show and owes us nothing

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
How do you mean the wrong side? It goes on the same side as your hab door o_O

Agreed but as the hab door is the same side as the driver's door some sites are a bit funny about putting up an awning as it is on "the wrong side" :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Agreed but as the hab door is the same side as the driver's door some sites are a bit funny about putting up an awning as it is on "the wrong side" :)

Oh OK. Never come across that. (y) Whenever we've been on a "club" site the warder has let us go whichever way round we want.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Oh OK. Never come across that. (y) Whenever we've been on a "club" site the warder has let us go whichever way round we want.

I think it depends on the site and the warden. Have been told a couple of times only that as we are a euro-van and have hab door on "wrong" side we could not put up an awning .... that hasn't worried us as we don't have one that we use at present.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Thanks everyone - some useful suggestions and advice given.

I've decided to see how much it will cost for my current awning to be shortened in length (5.5m to 5m - although the front panel usually measures around 4.8m on a 5m) as its brand new and complete.
If I get a shock, there'll be another awning sale and that being the case, I will buy a Lillypad type.
Will keep you posted on how much they charge to shorten the front panel.
If the height is OK, shortening the front is easy
I have had three done over the years, lay it on the grass and take a few minutes to think it through
There is more than one way to remove the surplus, add extra

All of my altered one's have been almost impossible to tell it been altered
Last one cost £50 to alter
We found tarpaulin shop, but look under tent and marquee, also there are awning companies!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back