Sat nav on PC - any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I currently have a Tom Tom Go 300 which was a Christmas present in 2005. It's OK so far as it goes (definitely a tool to be used carefully not trusted implicitly) but I'm disappointed with the mapping.

I was very disappointed to find that the realignment of the A1 around Ferrybridge (already several months old by that time) was not reflected in the mapping when I received the unit. I was even more disappointed when I bought a map upgrade almost a year later to find that the realignment was still not accurate. For that reason that I have not purchased an upgrade since that time as I don't consider the cost (nearly £40) for such an inaccurate product to be value for money.

I recently bought an Acer netbook which uses XP so I now have a laptop small enough to be viable for sat nav use when we have both driver & navigator. As a result I'm after any recommendations for software plus a GPS receiver (USB connection to laptop preferably) which I could use instead of the Tom Tom.

The essentials I require are:
UK mainland mapping
Ability to add my own set of PoIs (at least 1600 in a single set)
Full postcode searching
Regular, accurate, up to date mapping upgrades at a reasonable cost.

I'm not interested in safety camera databases, real time traffic information or mapping outside the UK mainland.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Graham

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi Graham

I have Microsoft Autoroute 2007 and does all you ask .. and more , use it on my Sony VAIO , just wish I could get a version for the Mac.. :Sad:]

Does it have a voice? ie does it speak the directions?
Doug.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Jim

I use Autoroute 2007 and if I go off the route it tells me to turn around however i feel 90% sure that if I ignore it for long enough it eventually sets a new route itself. but usually before that time I have quickly pressed F3 and it calculates a new route immediately.

I wouldn't be without autoroute it suits my needs perfectly, the only problem seems to be that Microsoft may not continue to support Autoroute as the latest version is 2007 and i can't find any details as to whether they are going to release a 2008 or 9 version, which will be a pity if they don't

Yes, it gives voice instructions, but if you go off route it doesn't re route..

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi, Jim

I use Autoroute 2007 and if I go off the route it tells me to turn around however i feel 90% sure that if I ignore it for long enough it eventually sets a new route itself. but usually before that time I have quickly pressed F3 and it calculates a new route immediately.

Hi Braunston

To be honest I didn't know that but in my defence I don't use it very often for guidance, I prefer TT , but it's a great tool if you have a passenger as a navigator .. and knows how to use it .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: nuff said. and if you do go off route you can see exactly where you are and how to get back on route .. this is important with a large MH .. as we all know TT doesn't take that into account when re routing.. foolish is the RV driver who follows TT slavishly :Doh:

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

homenaway

Free Member
Nov 16, 2008
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
12+
Hi Graham,

It might be worth looking at PC Navigator which is sold by Action Replay.

I have the PDA version (Pocket Navigator 7). There is an updated version due next month.

Steve

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

As i mentioned earlier i really am a supporter of Autoroute but it does appear there could be problems in the future if they do stop supporting it,

Therefore i would suggest its seriously worth looking at PC Navigator, as that appears to be quiet up to date with its mapping, if anyone is using it I would be very interested in just how it compares with Autoroute and how up to date the maps are.

Thanks

Braunston

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
As additional info.

I have used Nav 7 with a PDA and a Bluetooth Sirf 111 GPS Rx. (fast locking)
The advantage of the seperate RX is that it can be placed in the best position for reception, and even operates if it ends-up on the motor-home floor, and no connecting cable.
One of the problem with Nav 7 is it's slow to realise a 'route recalculation' is needed.
The problem with using my PDA was insufficient volume output.
All Sat/Nav systems will have 'good and bad' points!

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've had a look, this morning, at the three packages mentioned plus a few sat nav devices.

MapPoint looks to be very versatile but over the top for what I want.

For Autoroute, the best price I could find for the version which includes both the software and a GPS device is at Dabs.com (£73.40 including delivery). As Braunston says, there appear to be questions over Microsoft's commitment to future support - the information on their web site is very sparse and vague. There is nothing indicating when a new map update will be released and the costs involved - presumably only when (if?) a new version is released and at a cost similar to the current software only product (neck end of 40 quid at Dabs).

I looked at both the Action Replay and Directions web sites for PC Navigator 8. Cost of software and a GPS device is over £100 from both. Perhaps more significant is the statement on the AR web site "Now with 2007 maps and import tools" - which I think is a bit less than impressive given that it is April 2009 :Smile:

Of the stand-alone devices the Garmin Nuvi 200W looks fairly attractive at a little under £100 from a few stores and somewhat less by mail order.

As Sifta Sam says, all Sat/Nav systems have 'good and bad' points.

I think I'll keep t' padlock on me wallet for a little while yet and keep looking around.

Thanks once again to all of you for your help.

Graham

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi Graham,

It might be worth looking at PC Navigator which is sold by Action Replay.

I have the PDA version (Pocket Navigator 7). There is an updated version due next month.

Steve

I have an earlier version of this, PC Nav 4, there are a couple of bugs in the software

1/ there is a real problem with the French map and the nearer you get to the south west corner of France the worse the problem gets, by the time you are in the Bordeaux area it wont work at all.

2/ if you go off route the auto re-route crashes and you have to reset the program, that's a real pain.

3/ it can some time give the wrong voice command, IE the map says turn left but the voice says turn right.

4/ The antenna does not work very good under the front overhang of my Swift at the roof is clad in aluminium so I have it mounted on the roof with the USB cable coming through a window.

But having said all that it is quite useful but of course the map is out of date by about 6 years.

Doug...

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Been using PC Navigator 7 on a small ASUS Eee PC with separate aerial. Travelled for 6 months round Italy and Sicily last year and the last two months through France, Spain and Portugal taking the smallest roads - can't fault it. Loaded All the Aires and we have stayed at a different one almost every night - it got us to everyone without fuss or bother. You can tell it whether you want Toll Roads or not and use it with or without the 'voice' there is a Truck setting but can't comment on effectiveness.

It reads your POIs from an Excel database and so you simply update as needed. It has campsites already loaded. But add as many POIs as you want - I have all the LPG stations in Spain and France. The 'Find Nearest' feature is useful and includes you POIs.

The Instructions could be more informative but playing with it soon gets you using the many features.

Overall a nice product.

:Smile:
Keith

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
I got a PDA with TT 6 europe on it, last week..cheap...
I am finding the PDA a useful thing to carry around (for more than just satnav) ..

The problem with using my PDA was insufficient volume output.

this will become an issue once I start using it in the van.. I may need to permenantely install a couple of active microspeakers somewhere to help with this..

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back