Testing Awning (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
I got dealer to throw in a drive away awning with our new van. A Vango, kela ll tall.
We have never had, used tried putting up/on an awning before.
I have booked 4 nights at Seacroft CC site at beginning of July so we can test the awning.
Now the question is how easy, hard, impossible are these things to put up, bearing in mind will be on a CC site :)
Do we try it out at home in garden without Mh or go for it on site :D

Lin

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I would go for the garden routine. There's nothing like a 'staff training day' before you go live. You can iron out any snags and look like the consummate professionals when you get on site!

OP
OP

Deleted User
Yes garden looking likely, unpacked the thing earlier Nige adamant no instructions, frantic search, no instructions. Then we realised they are sewn onto the actual awning. Assume so you can't loose them, which probably means you need them a lot :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: SMB

Hillbum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
image.jpg
CLAIMED put up time about 15 mins
First time I tried it took nearly an hour! Mind you gave the tuggers opposite some entertainment.
Bought it on tour, so no option to garden erect first.

Hillbum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
Should have said. Ensure you take out ALL strengthening bars out of sleeves BEFORE trying to pack away, more amusement for tuggers!

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
You can't beat a garden erection ;)

OP
OP

Deleted User
Should have said. Ensure you take out ALL strengthening bars out of sleeves BEFORE trying to pack away, more amusement for tuggers!
Cheers, how long does it take you now?
Do you get much use out of it?
First one we have had and was free, thinking it might be useful when we go away to Spain over winter.
Will practice in garden before we test in July, I'm sure with Nige in charge it will be rehearsed with military precision until perfected. :D:D:D

Lin:)

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:smiley: There is usually a clip on youtube showing how to erect awnings done by the manufacturers and they make it look very easy. We did the garden erection bit first with our new drive away (not a Vango) and it was pretty much like the video showed except for the wind factor :smiley: which did mean our awning took on the qualities of a very big kite for a while ::bigsmile: However, on the rare occasions we now use it we do look fairly competent and often disappoint those who settle in to watch the ensuing arguments and offer the well worn advice "hope you've got a good divorce solicitor" ::bigsmile: Recently we helped a young couple who were having problems erecting their Vango when we realised it was inside out ::bigsmile: We all had a chuckle over that and they realised putting it away properly is key to sucessful future erections ::bigsmile:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
:smiley: There is usually a clip on youtube showing how to erect awnings done by the manufacturers and they make it look very easy. We did the garden erection bit first with our new drive away (not a Vango) and it was pretty much like the video showed except for the wind factor :smiley: which did mean our awning took on the qualities of a very big kite for a while ::bigsmile: However, on the rare occasions we now use it we do look fairly competent and often disappoint those who settle in to watch the ensuing arguments and offer the well worn advice "hope you've got a good divorce solicitor" ::bigsmile: Recently we helped a young couple who were having problems erecting their Vango when we realised it was inside out ::bigsmile: We all had a chuckle over that and they realised putting it away properly is key to sucessful future erections ::bigsmile:

Not nice either when it gets caught in a zip! ;)

Rob

Hillbum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
(y)(y)
Lin:)[/QUOTE]
how long does it take you now?
First one we have had and was free, thinking it might be useful when we go away to Spain over winter.
Will practice in garden before we test in July, I'm sure with Nige in charge it will be rehearsed with military precision until perfected. :D:D:D

I eventually got it down to 40 minutes, but due to illness in early 2014 haven't been able to get out in MH for over a year. Hope to try again in July, like you.
If I'm fit enough I will practice in garden first.

Zantos

Free Member
May 26, 2015
Nuneaton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 540
Exp
Erecting the awning is only the first of your problems! Wait until you try to drive the pegs into what you think is just gravel hardstanding - thats when things get really heated amid bent pegs and broken mallets.

OP
OP

Deleted User
how long does it take you now?

I eventually got it down to 40 minutes, but due to illness in early 2014 haven't been able to get out in MH for over a year. Hope to try again in July, like you.
If I'm fit enough I will practice in garden first.[/QUOTE]
Oh, hopefully you will be well enough now to continue, good luck with the garden prep :)

Lin

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Have to concur, watching people arrive and attempt to erect tent/awning, then get into an argument, things being thrown around etc. is my favourite pastime whilst on holiday. Usually happens at least once per day, the wife and I will grab a G&T and sit outside and take in the entertainment, much better then TV :D

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
We've got one of these that we use when staying somewhere for a week or so. Got it down to about 20 minutes on a good day, depending how hard the ground is. A good set of heavy duty pegs is well worth having.

We actually do use it as a drive-away thing - it's useful sometimes to be able to leave stuff like tables and chairs etc in the awning rather than lug them around all the time, and it's pretty easy to drive back and hook up again, as long as you are careful about ending up in more or less the same place.

Very nice to have the extra space when you're settled for a few days. We've had ours up during pretty high winds and it's been fine - I'm sure the air frame is the reason - it gives in the wind rather than resisting.

OP
OP

Deleted User
We've got one of these that we use when staying somewhere for a week or so. Got it down to about 20 minutes on a good day, depending how hard the ground is. A good set of heavy duty pegs is well worth having.

We actually do use it as a drive-away thing - it's useful sometimes to be able to leave stuff like tables and chairs etc in the awning rather than lug them around all the time, and it's pretty easy to drive back and hook up again, as long as you are careful about ending up in more or less the same place.

Very nice to have the extra space when you're settled for a few days. We've had ours up during pretty high winds and it's been fine - I'm sure the air frame is the reason - it gives in the wind rather than resisting.
That's reassuring, that exactly what we want to do in Spain over winter, put it up, then be able to drive van away for trips out and to supermarket to stock up on dog food and wine :)

OP
OP

Deleted User
Have to concur, watching people arrive and attempt to erect tent/awning, then get into an argument, things being thrown around etc. is my favourite pastime whilst on holiday. Usually happens at least once per day, the wife and I will grab a G&T and sit outside and take in the entertainment, much better then TV :D
I think we will take some cold ones, any sign of watchers, I will be straight over offering a beer and a any chance of a hand? :D

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
My mother in law used our garden to test drive her new tent (her garden is too small) and as she is single she needed to know she could do it alone.

We sat in the sun on the patio and watched her struggle as we couldn't help as per her instructions. We also secretly videoed her on the Go Pro set to time lapse. Hilarious to watch back - it was like something off Benny HIll!

Jen

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think we will take some cold ones, any sign of watchers, I will be straight over offering a beer and a any chance of a hand? :D
I like your thinking, with an offer like that, I'd be over to offer assistance. Nobody ever has though! :D

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have one, each time we have erected it differently, there are instructions sewn into the bag so in theory you cannot get it wrong, we read them the first time and took ages now we make it up as we go along. Erection is a quick process normally no more than 15 minutes we just make sure it is the right way round when you start, but it's the pegging out that takes the time same with all awning really.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
View attachment 66480 CLAIMED put up time about 15 mins
First time I tried it took nearly an hour! Mind you gave the tuggers opposite some entertainment.

Khyam? We have one that has the additional 4 man tent. Absolutely brilliant and with 2 people it's a 10 min job depending on how many pegs you want to use. It used to take us an hour though!

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
View attachment 66480 CLAIMED put up time about 15 mins

Yip, 1 hour for me also the first time I put mine up. Hope to try again in the next few weeks but won't get near 15 mins. It takes longer than that to get everything out, van attachment, peg the corners and blowning it up. Probably 45mins is more like it if you include all of the pegging out etc.

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Any one want to buy vango Kella standard drive off awning used once then got new van need tall now:cry:

OP
OP

Deleted User
Well quick test in garden, limited by space so no pegging out, only took 10 minutes so guessing when we actually peg this is going to take time :)
WP_20150630_001.jpg
WP_20150630_002.jpg
WP_20150630_003.jpg

One question when doing for real nxt week zipped up or zippers open?

Lin :)

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Zipped up until you've got it pegged down round the edges and have blown up the bars. Otherwise it's more difficult to make it keep the right shape. It's much easier than you'd imagine, honest :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back