Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
If you had a choice between diesel RV and one with petrol/LPG conversion which would it be?

Are these big V8 petrols that reliable?
More so or less so then a similar diesel

Is it worth the extra fuel costs over running on LPG (LPG availability aside)

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I prefer diesel
I know they are NOISEY and the fuel STINKS and at the moment diesel costs more than petrol/LPG, I just like the torque of them, I have spent half my life with a diesel motor as my companion so I feel at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's really down to what YOU prefer,---------------- by all accounts the V10 is "really good "on petrol
Nigel

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Basher I think its unlikely any RV would do the mileage to take advantage of the possible longer life of a diesel, GM class the 8.1 as a 200,000 mile engine and I would expect the Ford V10 to be the same.

On straight fuel economy I would expect the diesel to win, however if you don't do many miles a year then the higher servicing costs would even it up.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bashers

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
I'm not too interested in longevity of the engine so much as its general every day reliability and my ability to service/repair it in the field
I'm planning a 12/18 month slow tour of about 10,000 miles. I intend to get a diesel or a converted petrol so payback is no longer an issue
Is there much electronics or turbos that may cause issues on 10 year old engines

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
You got to take into account the fact that LPG is half the price of diesel...............so in theory its like getting twice as much to the gallon or petrol/dielsel :winky:

And a better smell and easy to service

Boo

D

dazza

Deleted User
Hi Basher I think its unlikely any RV would do the mileage to take advantage of the possible longer life of a diesel, GM class the 8.1 as a 200,000 mile engine and I would expect the Ford V10 to be the same.

On straight fuel economy I would expect the diesel to win, however if you don't do many miles a year then the higher servicing costs would even it up.

Olley

I agree with Olley here, our Damon has an GM 8.1 litre and we have had it converted to LPG which did cost (£2500), while she was running on unleaded she returned around 10 mpg, she has been running for a year on LPG and she returns around 14 mpg! as for the diffrenance in power she has plenty of that when its needed! its such a nice feeling when the fuel you are putting in is only 49.9 pence a litre and not 100.9!!! its had just over half a tank of unleaded in it for about 6months!!!

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
hi dazza

wish i could get your economy! we use a consistent 1.5 miles per litre; perhaps a trifle better. as the lpg indicator lights mean nothing, i reset the trip reading every time we fill, and know i need to refill after about 225 miles. then predict how much will go in using the 1.5 "rule" and rarely better that by more than 10%. always towing the punto, travel at 60 on motorway. have tried slower, to little effect. i think olley gets about the same, works out at about half your figures. what's the secret?

going back to the diesel/petrol question, to me it's a pusher/puller issue. i believe the old diesel in pullers to be ok in rvs under about 6 tons, but otherwise likely to run out of steam, especially if towing. the new FRED system seems great, but looking at them recently was very disappointed by the poor basement stowage; nowhere near as good as the daybreak. i would love a pusher, esp with full air, and full basement, and of course a payload of several tons. however, no complaints about the daybreak; have now spent over 450 nights away in 3 years, and still delighted with it.

des

des

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: For the extra cost of buying a Diesel, you could have an LPG conversion fitted. I ha dour 1988 Coachmen Classic converted. It cost £1500 plus anoth er £500 for a re-conversion (don't ask). We did 23,500 miles in the time we owned it. It did 8.5mpg on Petrol and 7.5mpg on LPG . If I put our Newmar back on the road? I WI LL have it converted to LPG. :winky:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
its had just over half a tank of unleaded in it for about 6months!!!

As a word of caution I'd suggest using the unleaded gasoline on a regular basis and not leave it lying sloshing around the tank. It deteriorates, oxidises and forms gums if left lying around for a long time, which can cause a problem with the engine. It might cost a bit more to do this but also it might prevent a breakdown when you do use the unleaded....... Cheers!

D

dazza

Deleted User
As a word of caution I'd suggest using the unleaded gasoline on a regular basis and not leave it lying sloshing around the tank. It deteriorates, oxidises and forms gums if left lying around for a long time, which can cause a problem with the engine. It might cost a bit more to do this but also it might prevent a breakdown when you do use the unleaded....... Cheers!

We do run it on unleaded everytime its started, runs for about 5 to 10 minutes before switching over, i dont know why its so good on LPG, we service it every 6000 miles, dont tow with it as you need a class 2 HGV once you tow anythnig behind it! ( the trailer takes it over 7.5 tonnes) i drive around 60 mph

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back