Venice Recommendations Please (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Anywhere between lido de jesolo, and punta sabionia, spelling might be a bit wrong there, but there is a load of sites along there, then you just catch the number 5 bus to the ferry and the ferry comes in the bus fare if you get the special ticket about 15 euros , return straight into St marks square

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I agree with chaser - no shortage of campsites with beach access along that stretch of the coast. You can cycle to Punta Sabbioni if you prefer - there's a cycleway beside the road.

The campsite we've used a couple of times is Camping Ca' Savio, and we'd use it again - very convenient.

As for routes - we're planning on going to Venice yet again via Germany and Austria next spring, but normally we'd drive into Switzerland via Basel then through the Gotthard Tunnel into N Italy. The tunnel toll is included in your Swiss carnet fee.

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Hi

We have been several times and fined that the best time to go for us is just after the children go back to school end of August start of September.

Best place to stop for us is Camping Cavallino it’s in the ACSI book and if you get there a day or two before Acsi kicks in just up the road 1klm is Camping Scarpiland bit cheaper and in the ACSI book but not as good as Cavallino.

As they are just of the main road to port Sablioni where you can catch the water Bus to Venice.

Good local markets in Cavallino & Jesolo also plenty of supermarkets and local butchers good value and quality products.

If you are interested I have my route with stops with a mixture of free and paying all safe, it also includes GPS co-ordinates on this spreadsheet.

If you would like a copy send me a PM with your Email address and I will send you a copy
Regards
Ray

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We are thinking of going to Venice next year - where is the best place to stay to visit the City and route suggestions please?
Here you go. Only need to ask!! (y):):)

As the name suggests, Little Venice is interspersed with waterways. While you'll never mistake it for the Italian city, it does have some superb restuarants, bars and cafes lending the whole area a cosmopolitan, laid back vibe. When Robert Browning coined the term Little Venice he was describing the point where the Paddington Arm of the Grand Union Canal meets the Regents Canal encompasses however it now refers to the whole area at the south of Maida Vale. Paddington Basin, a short walk from Little Venice, is currently being redeveloped on a scale to rival London's Docklands. Watch this space. For a scenic water-side walk, follow the canal route north-east for 2.5 miles and you'll end up in Camden where you can see the Lock and the markets, or stroll across to Regents Park and London Zoo.

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
The Swiss Vingnet lasts for twelve months we paid 40 euros at the border 2013 but you get this back in fuel as the road are good and no steep climes to speck of the Gotthard route via Basel is easy but there are a lot of tunnel the scenery is stunning.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No vehicles allowed in the city as its a bit wet.

There were quite a few when I was there last week.

I think you can even overnight on the main car park. But would you want to ?

Last week I visited from Peschiera del Garda. Under two hours by train. But Lido de Jesolo is a better bet.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I took Brian's advice two years ago and stayed at Lake Garda and then caught the train, excellent advice.

Well it has to be said, arriving from Lido di Jesolo by boat is a bit more exciting than stepping off the train. But full marks to Italian trains, decent prices and good service.

The site we were on at Jesolo had over 2500 pitches and it wasn't the biggest. The supermarket had three check-out lanes. Glorious beach right outside the campsite. But it did not seem overpowering because all the pitches had good hedges so the scale was masked.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.4349817,12.4398253,832m/data=!3m1!1e3

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Camping Serrinissima if you just want to do Venice.
Nice little site accepts ACSI. Lovely people speak good English. Buy a bus ticket at reception approx 2 euro bus stops at gate takes you straight into Venice same for return, journey 15 to 20 minutes.
Dozens of sites sat Jesolo but you need to get as far down as possible for the ferry unless you have transport. There is a bus but it was unreliable last month some people got stranded for hours.
Serrinissima is best for Venice only Jesolo for Venice and beach.
Have a great time.(y)(y)

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
A
Camping Serrinissima if you just want to do Venice.
Nice little site accepts ACSI. Lovely people speak good English. Buy a bus ticket at reception approx 2 euro bus stops at gate takes you straight into Venice same for return, journey 15 to 20 minutes.
Dozens of sites sat Jesolo but you need to get as far down as possible for the ferry unless you have transport. There is a bus but it was unreliable last month some people got stranded for hours.
Serrinissima is best for Venice only Jesolo for Venice and beach.
Have a great time.(y)(y)
gree with forestboy we have used Serrinissima site, bus stop right outside the site and only short trip to Venice, get an all day boat/bus ticket and hop on hop off round Venice, also go to Murano where they do glass blowing

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We have just got back from nearly 4 weeks in Italy and for Venice we stayed at Camping Venezia which is is the ACSI book very easy to get to and about a 5 minute walk to a bus stop then 5 to 8 minutes into Venice and the best toilets and showers I've every seen on a camp site. Traveled down through France, Belgium, Luxembourg all toll free but then you hit Switzerland and have to buy a vignette, then on to Italian toll roads which are a lot cheaper than France.. We stayed the 1st night at Gravelines, then Pont a Mousson, a great Aire right on the banks of the Mosell, then Montreux Chateau then through Switzerland to the Sosta at Verona before heading to Venice. We did think about staying at Camping International in Luzern on the way back but at nearly €50 per night decided against it. :)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Im jealous. Always wanted to go and see Venice, but not with mum haha. Seems to be a romantic place.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
What's Venice like in October
Weather wise and is it busy
We will be on our way back out of Croatia so thinking this may be the perfect end before the dash home

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We will be on our way back out of Croatia so thinking this may be the perfect end before the dash home

We were there in the van first week of October last year the weather was very warm and sunny.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Venice is always busy, weather in October is like most places a bit hit and miss but you should go once in your life, try and get off the beaten track and find the real Venice, if you want to see the Dogues Palace then they do a secret tour which takes you behind where the public don't go and the same ticket lets you into the Palace afterwoulds. (y)

Crusty jack

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
Aires at Punta Sabbioni - check my spelling on that one - but these are not free; 7 euros pp one way on the vaporetto to Venice itself gets expensive too. There is a site in the city signposted off the main road which heads east towards Lido Di Jesolo but don't think it's open all year, but I maybe wrong. We found the Lido and Venice hinterland to be very disappointing after Verona, Florence, Tuscany, Appenines etc. in October was still very hot and the tourist areas were simply one heaving mass of people...... Love Italy though!! Toby and Suzy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back