How Many Of You Have Exterior Door Locks Fitted? (1 Viewer)

Gin Palace

Free Member
Apr 30, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Newbie!
Buying our first motorhome and wondered if extra locks to the doors were necessary and could anyone recommend a good lock?

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Got external locks fitted to the caravan door and wire strop around the drivers passenger doorand locks over the steering wheel.

steve & ann. ---------- teensvan

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I fitted a Milenco Frame Lock (external) to the habitation door and internal Frame Guards to the can doors. See Here and Here.
I wouldn't tie the cab doors together because of potential difficulty exiting in an emergency.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The fabric of the average motorhome is very fragile.
Those heavy duty locks will just cause more damage to your pride and joy when forced.
Pointless in my opinion.

I would rather I had a few low cost items nicked than having my van off the road for months whilst we wait for an insurance company to sort out a big claim and await a new bodyside from the manufacturer.

Besides, a screwdriver behind a plastic window presents an easier way in for a thief deterred by extra locks.
Motorhomes will never be secure due to their lightweight flimsy components. If you can't afford to loose it, don't leave it in your van!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have extra locks on drivers & hab door, were already fitted. Think they work as a viz deterrent too!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Granted that the build of motorhomes doesn't make them safe but much of the point of security (in houses as well) is in saying "I'm not quite as easy to get into as next door so go there".

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

My van is 24 years old, no central locking, no alarm, no special locks........... no signs of any doors ever being tampered with

My son has just bought a van for work.....came fitted with extra 'proper' heavy duty security locks... 2 of the doors look like they have been 'crowbarred' at some time.........

Do whatever makes you feel happy........... but if someone really wants to break in they will

Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
We have installed the Fiamma safe door lock to the side door. We have many of these used.
http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-S...ravans-and-motorhomes/?sortmethod=name&page=1
The locks on the old motorhomes are sometimes just cheap plastic ones, this is what was on ours. The problem with the newer locks is not the mechanism but the barrel where the keys go in, they are often wafer cylinders which can be picked easily or forced with a screw driver. I am no expert but have operated a locksmith business for over 25 years.
On the inside of the front doors we have chains that can wrap around the door handles and clip into the seat mounts. We have them but have only used them a few times.
A safe securely fixed in the motorhome is also a good idea.
Hope this helps

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I don't have the external door locks fitted, I was considering it but a friend of mine who has them fitted says he wishes he didn't as when they are locked it indicates that the occupants are out of the vehicle. I'm still considering having them fitted to the storage lockers as a small person could theoretically climb through into the living area (rear lounge in mine). But, as previously pointed out, more damage could be caused if they want to force entry regardless of any security.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I don't have additional external locks fitted, though I do have a safe bolted inside. Every locker on my van with the exception of the two Thetford cassette lockers (Spare and Loo) is alarmed. Not just any alarm either, van-bitz Growler. If any locker is opened the alarm sounds, and has been pointed out by Graham, security is more about a visual (or Audible) deterrent.

Perhaps I should put a sign on the side......."My van is tougher to get into than others please feel free to try theirs instead."

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We chain the front cab doors and steering wheel, chain is slotted through a rubber sleeve to prevent scratching the door handles. Sits in door pocket so quick to secure. Its fastened with a strong number code padlock so easy to release too. Its more a vis deterrent and for my peace of mind. They can and will get in if they want.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Like many, we have an external additional door lock and we also have an alarm wire between the cab doors.
But when it comes down to it if some scrote wants to break in he will.
The above precautions plus the door and internal movement sensor alarms are only a deterrent and are there to make it appear more difficult to break into our van and may be they'll move on to another one less protected.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
I think a visual deterrent is all you can do really.
I read someone say on here a long time ago that your average Moho is like a plastic shopping bag, you can tie the handles together but they'll just tear a hole somewhere else.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Like many, we have an external additional door lock and we also have an alarm wire between the cab doors.
But when it comes down to it if some scrote wants to break in he will.
The above precautions plus the door and internal movement sensor alarms are only a deterrent and are there to make it appear more difficult to break into our van and may be they'll move on to another one less protected.
I agree wholeheartedly with the above comments,
I use external door locks on both Hab doors and both garage doors,

we feel more secure with them, and too my mind that what counts!

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
We leave a cheap bowl outside the hab door. Also the chain we use for our little boy.
Even if we are not there that can help (I believe) to cause doubt.
My preferred method of entry to your MH, is up the conveniently placed ladder and through the flimsy HEKI roof light! Eeezy peezy.
However, if you try it on mine, you could be looking down on this view!
oooo.jpg

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1971
SURE. but you have to contend with Wet dog smells/ hairs/slobber/food/vets bills especially going abroad/walking dog in all weathers and IF----- you are a respobable dog owner putting his Sh-t in a plastic bag and disposal of it,
There is also the massive drop in Motor home Value if you have pets!
In my mind their is no contest, I am also a animal lover just in case you think that's the reason for my opinion,

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1971
We leave a cheap bowl outside the hab door. Also the chain we use for our little boy.
Even if we are not there that can help (I believe) to cause doubt.
My preferred method of entry to your MH, is up the conveniently placed ladder and through the flimsy HEKI roof light! Eeezy peezy.
However, if you try it on mine, you could be looking down on this view!
View attachment 66406
All so relevant to the above post is a link to a home burglary that the thief feeds the two dogs before checking for valuables, quite funny!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31157992
Even a canine friend can be bought for a little treat!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have fitted proper deadlocks to my doors. I think it beats any alarm system.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
SURE. but you have to contend with Wet dog smells/ hairs/slobber/food/vets bills especially going abroad/walking dog in all weathers and IF----- you are a respobable dog owner putting his Sh-t in a plastic bag and disposal of it,
There is also the massive drop in Motor home Value if you have pets!
In my mind their is no contest, I am also a animal lover just in case you think that's the reason for my opinion,

You make fair points although I am prepared to accept the drawbacks for the unquestionable love and company he gives in return. PRICELESS

All so relevant to the above post is a link to a home burglary that the thief feeds the two dogs before checking for valuables, quite funny!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31157992
Even a canine friend can be bought for a little treat!

Also fair point. I accept all means are only a deterrent but most of the scroats we are likely to encounter would be opportunists.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Have a good alarm fitted professionally to all doors and one which allows "hab" area to be lived in whilst on and then........... get used to making sure it's switched on. So many MH owners pay 100's of pounds on an alarm and NEVER use it................ You could on the other hand, put door locks on, cables across doors and windows bolted closed etc - Oh............ thats a prison is it not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
We have a PVC that has deadlocks on cab and rear doors and a bolt on the bottom of the sliding door. All the hab Windows have have ‘lock em out‘ and an internal motion senceing alarm in the living area when we are in bed.
None of this will stop a determined attempt to get in but Wife refused to wild camp in Spain and Portugal without precautions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back