Fitting Usb Socket To 12v Feed In Van (1 Viewer)

Apr 14, 2015
Prone
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I want to be able to charge my iPhone or iPad when I am wild camping or not on a site with electrical hook up. The cigarette lighter type sockets in the van dashboard will do the job while we are on the move but not when the ignition is switched off.

I currently have a 12v socket in the van, with a remote switch, , which holds a twin pin plug, which was designed to power a TV and I want to convert that to a double USB socket. I appreciate i could just wire a twin cigarette lighter type socket into it but it's not very elegant. Does anyone know of a reasonable looking twin USB socket which I could use for this purpose? There seem to be plenty of 240v sockets round with USB sockets built in but nothing for a 12v feed.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
First one i came to on ebay

Broken Link Removed
If you look amongst the listings you can get the same with a square or rectagular bezel which look quite smart.

Search 12v usb socket

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Have a look on eBay. Loads to choose from

Broken Link Removed

EDIT: Too slow again

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
$_12.JPG

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I fitted one last year and it has been a great success, I may fit another three, one for each corner! Go for USB 2.0 or above if you can, as they provide more current.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I fitted the one in my pic, above, to my car.....saves having those awful plug-in things hanging out the fag lighter which is part of the ashtray and normally closed.

One of the best mods i have done.

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Did wonder if the cheap versions actually supply 5v to the USB when engine is running and feeding battery upwards of 13.8v In my feeble attempts to check I saw off a few fuses and am none the wiser?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Did wonder if the cheap versions actually supply 5v to the USB when engine is running and feeding battery upwards of 13.8v In my feeble attempts to check I saw off a few fuses and am none the wiser?

The linked to by @NickNic has an input voltage range of 12 to 24 volts. I haven't looked at the other one. So I guess you just need to check when buying one it has this sort of range.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
How about this for a solution? I have replaced several sockets in the house with these:-

No more chargers, still have the mains sockets and USB outlet as well. I think they will become very popular given time.

Wyn

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Doh! Just re-read the OP and realised it was for wild camping and actually says withou EHU. Never mind, it still applies.

Wyn

How about this for a solution? I have replaced several sockets in the house with these:-

No more chargers, still have the mains sockets and USB outlet as well. I think they will become very popular given time.

Wyn

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph's gone overkill with the blooming things in the PVC.
One each side in U shape lounge overhead cupboards ( charging while traveling so things don't slide about) .
One each side under overhead cupboards To use whilst lounging.
One in kitchen area.
One in cab. So six In total !
There's only two of us now not five. ::bigsmile:
He does like his gadgets though.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The linked to by @NickNic has an input voltage range of 12 to 24 volts. I haven't looked at the other one. So I guess you just need to check when buying one it has this sort of range.

I can't honestly say I've had a voltmeter anywhere near it. What I can confirm though is that when the engine is running there's a nice blue light on the USB socket and it charges my phone which is what it's there for (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I fitted one of these, my battery is normally very good, didn't use the MH for about 3/4 weeks, flat battery. IT seems they use power all the time. I am just now fitting an on/off switch. I guess They are fine if you use the camper often......or it's just mine. :)

They do - the little blue neon. Mine's connected to an ignition live not a permanent live so it's isolated when the engine is off.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Get the right one. The ones on ebay vary considerably with their output. They all give 5volt but output varies from .5 amps to 2.3 amps. Basically a four fold difference in charging time. Or perhaps more importantly something like a tablet used for navigation could be discharging faster than charging if you choose an output too small.

After finding the ones that I originally fitted were 1.2 amps and could't keep up with the tablet screen I changed them for 2amps ones fine now. As far as I know the higher amperages will not harm anything

Dick

Reactions: DBK

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I did similar in our PVC, fitted about 5 USBs and an extra 4 240v, maybe a little overkill but its always handy to have power at all ends of the van i think, am just doing the sam now with our Hobby - only problem is they take a couple of wweks to arrive from China, just cant understand why british sellers want so much for the same thing - less than a few pounds with free postage from china - have seen the same thing from UK sellers for as much as £17 each, would rather wait 2 weeks, especially when buying about 7 items :LOL::LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back