Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Stickers on the windows of our van announce that it has a GPS tracker that's linked to the police. The sticker also contains the correct registration number so I doubt it's just for show. I also doubt that it's linked to anything unless the person who had it installed set up a never-ending direct debit.

Anyhoo, is there any way a GPS tracker could be easily detected? I assume it will be live all the time but I haven't actually searched for one around the van yet.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If the whoever fitted it knew what they were about you won't find it. They don't fit them in the same place all the time for exactly that reason.

It won't be linked directly to the police. Nobody can do that, be it something on a vehicle, a building alarm or anything else. It will be linked to a call centre, who when it activates will try and contact you first and if they can't then may possibly contact the police.

Is there anything on the stickers saying who the provider of the system is? If so it may be worth contacting them. They will want to see proof that you own the vehicle but they will be able to tell you if it's still working or not and if it is, and it's an approved type, you may find that your insurance company will give you a reduction that more than covers whatever subscription charges they company wants to charge you.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It won't be linked to the police so a good chance its a fake. If it has been fitted, chances are the credit is out on the sim card and you'll need the details to get credit on to it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
If the whoever fitted it knew what they were about you won't find it

I didn't really expect to find it but I was wondering if they were detectable, to see if there actually is one somewhere in the vehicle. Some kind of clever app maybe? I feel that would be useful anyway as it might make thieves think twice if they knew there was definitely a tracker aboard.

There's no company name on the stickers, only a sort-of barcode that Google doesn't recognise as being a real one. If it wasn't for the number plate being included I'd think they were just put there as a hopeful deterrent.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Exactly that, @Gizmouk, well found! Ah well, saves me a job looking for it :)

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
If you think about it, the last thing you want to do with a tracker is announce you have one, all that does is make the criminal revise his tactics.

...Eh? In the same way that flashing red LED's, alarm boxes and stickers would let a thief know there was an alarm? It's obviously better to let someone know that something will be difficult to steal before they actually try to do so.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
...Eh? In the same way that flashing red LED's, alarm boxes and stickers would let a thief know there was an alarm? It's obviously better to let someone know that something will be difficult to steal before they actually try to do so.

Disagree.

A tracker is an active link to the police ( via whatever ), to get the best out of it let the police catch the criminals.

An alarm is all bluff which impresses the owner far more than any thief.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Disagree.

A tracker is an active link to the police ( via whatever ), to get the best out of it let the police catch the criminals.

An alarm is all bluff which impresses the owner far more than any thief.

You'd rather be inconvenienced by the loss of your motorhome in the hope that a criminal might be caught, than advertise an anti-theft device hopefully preventing them from stealing it in the first place?

I applaud your sense of civic duty. Yours must be the house with all the doors unlocked and the windows wide open ;)

Ian is B

Free Member
Apr 15, 2015
Wellington Somerset
Funster No
MH
panel van conversion
Exp
new
Our SmarTrack system, after fitting, costs a one-off 399 pounds for the entire time we own the vehicle. We paid this as opposed to the 149 pounds a year fee.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You'd rather be inconvenienced by the loss of your motorhome in the hope that a criminal might be caught, than advertise an anti-theft device hopefully preventing them from stealing it in the first place?

Burglar alarms and trackers do not prevent theft, they detect it.

So you advertise a tracker on you nice new shiny Wondermobile and the thinking thief moves it to a hidden location. He then waits a few days monitoring it and if the cavalry do not arrive it is spirited away after a thorough examination.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
All the thief needs is one of these: Broken Link Removed

Then he can take it away and search for the tracker at his leisure.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back