Help With 'weight Plates' Please (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
All,
Hopefully, this is not the usual weight item!

Was reading another post today regarding the perennial weight questions. Alongside my weight plate is another by SV Tech. Is this normal? I know a lot of folk on here go to them for weight upgrades, but this has been on my van from new. However, it made me think about something that cropped up during handover. The salesman said something about it, but told me not to bother with it as it doesn't really refer to me.

Can someone decipher BOTH plates for me please. This is not familiar ground for me.

Cheers
James

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 108
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The details from the two plates, or a couple of pictures would help with the deciphering (y)

Assuming they say different things one quick solution may be to look at your V5 and see what the revenue weight is and the plate with that weight on it is the one to go by.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Both plates are identical in respect of weights.

1) 3500kg gross weight
2) 5300kg train weight
3) 1750kg front axle
4)1900kg rear axle

Why SVTech should have a plate is anyones guess.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
SV have taken the train weight down by 500kg as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
And the train weight is 5800 on the original plate and 5300 on the svtech plate

Mike

beaten to it by NickNic

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
isnt it only 300kg differance in the train . i,m sure that is a 6 not an 8.
might be wrong though .
dont understand why thats changed at all.

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Now don't get all technical with me lads. This is one area where I'm always confused. What's happened to 'All up weight' eh? Is that what 'Train Weight' is now. KISS please (Keep it simple and stupid) :D

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats ok . its a bit blurred . i tried with a magnifier but wasnt sure . even more amazed they altered the train .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now don't get all technical with me lads. This is one area where I'm always confused. What's happened to 'All up weight' eh? Is that what 'Train Weight' is now. KISS please (Keep it simple and stupid) :D
All up weight is the gross weight (fully loaded maximum weight)
all up plus trailer is the train weight (fully loaded maximum weight PLUS a trailer up to total combined train weight)

Just to confuse you completely, the trailers weight you must go by is always the maximum it can legally carry on its weight plate....even if its empty

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
So let me see if I've got this right........
The original manufacture's max weight was 3300kg
SV Tech uprated this to 3500kg prior to going on sale.

If I want to tow a trailer (albeit an empty one) I can tow up to 5800kg or 5300, depending upon which plate you read.

Front & rear axle weights are self explanatory.

Thank you all
James

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I think mine was the other thread about weights but this one answers some of the stuff I was wondering about. One thing I don't understand is the separate axle weights. Is the sum of these two weights the absolute maximum the vehicle could be rated at? e.g. If the total of the two axle weights is 3650 can you still uprate to 3850? You can tell I'm bewildered can't you? M

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just to confuse you completely, the trailers weight you must go by is always the maximum it can legally carry on its weight plate....even if its empty

Not according to VOSA . In the event of being stopped the whole train has to be weighed & be over .
I have a copy of aletter from them stating that. I'll post it when I can work out how to get it off the computer.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think mine was the other thread about weights but this one answers some of the stuff I was wondering about. One thing I don't understand is the separate axle weights. Is the sum of these two weights the absolute maximum the vehicle could be rated at? e.g. If the total of the two axle weights is 3650 can you still uprate to 3850? You can tell I'm bewildered can't you? M
No, 3500 would be tops without doing any uprating .

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
So let me see if I've got this right........
The original manufacture's max weight was 3300kg
SV Tech uprated this to 3500kg prior to going on sale.

If I want to tow a trailer (albeit an empty one) I can tow up to 5800kg or 5300, depending upon which plate you read.

Front & rear axle weights are self explanatory.

Thank you all
James
No, the SVTech plate is the latest dated plate, so that's the one you go by. There is a possibility that you could raise the weight above the combined axle weights, but you would have to find out what mods you need to do (SVTech would tell you, it's usually air assisted suspension on the rear axle and different tyres with a higher weight rating)
It might be a good idea to visit a weigh bridge to see what the actual weight of the van and axles are now to get an idea of the payload available. There is a possibility that at 3300kg, the payload was very small or non existent hence the reason it was uprated.

Deleted User
Regarding trailer weights I am fairly certain that there are two distinct scenarios, one concerns the licence required and one the actual weight.

Licence requirement need to use the max weight of the trailer, whether loaded or not.

Actual weight is just that, if all axle weight, gross weights are within the plated weights then all is OK......regarding overloading.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Just been on to SVtech and we can only get an extra 200kg if we uprate. Time to upgrade van I think - we're golfers and can't carry our clubs and our bikes at the same time. :(

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks once again for your expertise Gents (and @Mags52 for making me think about it all).

This is such a fundamentally important issue isn't it? It's not immediately apparent, or explained when looking at that shiny new acquisition.

Yes; most of us know that you shouldn't overload the MH until the it resembles a speed boat's angle, or the thing is reluctant to turn coz the front wheels are off the ground :D BUT, we blithely chuck on all sorts of stuff; windbreak poles, chairs, tools, assorted stuff that might come in handy one day, oil filled rad, rotary clothes line etc with hardly a thought!

AND.......

Then I hump a sports bag full of clothes on board that I can just about carry!

Ok, so there's only the two of us (says he making excuses) and we are like a couple of rashers of wind. We weigh circa 130 kilos between us. But then, was the awning and bike rack included in the original weight?

Oh the stress of it all! I'm going to have to crush one of my powders now o_O

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Regarding trailer weights I am fairly certain that there are two distinct scenarios, one concerns the licence required and one the actual weight.

Licence requirement need to use the max weight of the trailer, whether loaded or not.

Actual weight is just that, if all axle weight, gross weights are within the plated weights then all is OK......regarding overloading.
Quite correct. driving licences use "Maximum Authorised Weigh" and that is what it says the total maximum weight of either the vehicle and the trailer or both.

Gross weight, train weight and the individual permitted weight of each axle are determined by the relevant Construction & Use and associated legislation. The two cannot be read as one!

No, you cannot simply add the sum of the axles and get a gross weight. Having established the permitted weight of each individual axle, we then need to lo0k at other factors including (to a greater or lesser degree) distance between each axle, power to weight ratio of the vehicle and manufacturers design limits.

Deleted User
[QUOTE="mpdcymru, post: 1454859, member: 31503"

No, you cannot simply add the sum of the axles and get a gross weight. Having established the permitted weight of each individual axle, we then need to lo0k at other factors including (to a greater or lesser degree) distance between each axle, power to weight ratio of the vehicle and manufacturers design limits.[/QUOTE]

I do not think that my post implied that but if that was the impression others may have got then your post will clarify the situation.(y)
I am well aware of the regulations relating to axle weights, gross weights etc as I have held an Operators Licence and operated HGV's for over 30 years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back