Classic Hymer B544 "fan" Belt - Keeps Shredding (1 Viewer)

Gingaboots

Free Member
Jun 26, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of recommissioning a 1987 Hymer 544 - Fiat 2.5d based (non turbo).

I am now on my 3rd alternator/aux belt in about 500km. I pulled this van out of the hedge it had been parked under for 5 years a few months ago and got it running and MOT'd. Now running fine (after slipped diesel pump timing....another story!)

Now the van seems to be eating aux belts...they squeal, slip then shred. Have tried different lengths etc, re-tensioning...all failed so far.

Has anyone got a definitive length, width, depth etc for these belts or any other ideas?

I am going to check all pulleys again. Is it possible the alternator could have been incorrectly re-fitted after cam belt work (s) were done....I haven't tried taking this off yet, does it have shims etc?

Thanks for any help, hints and tips

Cheers
Chris

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Is it the type where the belt goes round the water pump pulley as this can run out of kilter when bearings gone and shred belts?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Alignment first & then check whether any of the pulleys have bearings starting to seize, breaking up etc; as others have posted.

OP
OP
Gingaboots

Gingaboots

Free Member
Jun 26, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
Well I got under the old bus tonight and there is a definite offset to the alternator...I have managed to pinch back about 5mm or maybe a little bit more, though it is still out on exact alignment there is no other way of getting it any better. Fingers crossed this will be enough to stop the shredding!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Try a 'Gates' belt (from Partco) you might have to order it but they are the very best

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Well I got under the old bus tonight and there is a definite offset to the alternator...I have managed to pinch back about 5mm or maybe a little bit more, though it is still out on exact alignment there is no other way of getting it any better. Fingers crossed this will be enough to stop the shredding!
Alignment should be precise - it was originally. It should be automatically correct with the front alternator mounting lug abutting the lug on the engine. If it isn't (perhaps because of an incorrect alternator fitment in the past) you should be able to correct it by shimming and/or an alternator pulley spacer. If it is misaligned with the alternator pulley too close to the engine block you need to replace the alternator. Misalignment will dramatically shorten belt life - more than a mm or so & you'll be able to measure its life in minutes.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Try a 'Gates' belt (from Partco) you might have to order it but they are the very best
I didn't think Partco existed anymore?
All the ones in this area closed down ages ago

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Check and see if the alternator pulley is fitted the correct way round, some have an offset on them, unless it's a freewheel type, but unlikely on your model.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Have you resolved the problem with your alternator belt? Have you managed to remove/replace the alternator from underneath the engine?

OP
OP
Gingaboots

Gingaboots

Free Member
Jun 26, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
Fitted new Gates belt yesterday. Used straight edge across crank pulley & alignment looks pretty much spot on with alternator now....fingers crossed for shake down trip on Friday night. Will carry tools and spare belt!

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Fitted new Gates belt yesterday. Used straight edge across crank pulley & alignment looks pretty much spot on with alternator now....fingers crossed for shake down trip on Friday night. Will carry tools and spare belt!
Do you have the full reference for the Gates belt?

OP
OP
Gingaboots

Gingaboots

Free Member
Jun 26, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
Hi Flamenca,

Yes, accessed from below without a problem (with the van up on paddock ramps) - I will dig out the part number for you.

AllanM - staying this side of the wet stuff for the moment!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
At Margaret's at Cliffe by the Dover Patrol monument is nice for a day out if you aren't going too far..

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
'V' belts are indeed strange animals. Everything comes back to the actual 'V' angle of the belt to pulley, and unfortunately, once a belt shreds, its too late to do a post mortem. Apart from having the 'V', that bit really does nothing else but act as a guide for the main load bearing component, that bit at the bottom between the two 'V's. However, if the alignment is out, one side of the 'V' will start to wear, something it's really not designed to do.
Bet it's sorted now, unless you have a twisted pulley, or a bearing problem with the alternator.(y)

OP
OP
Gingaboots

Gingaboots

Free Member
Jun 26, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
Part code for the belt 6216MC (avx 10 x 900 la) - is a tight fit to get on.

Heading over to Birchington (2 Chimneys Park) for a gig on Friday night...will be able to have a couple of beers with the chaps and have a comfy bed. Will pack tools and spare belt :)

Just need to sort out the hook up and 12v electrics now!

Apr 24, 2018
Funster No
Hi All,newbie here with exactly same problem of shredding drive or fan belt on my Hymer B694 1989 fiat 2.5TD, mileage 82000. Have been thru 3 gates belts AVX 10 x
in 600 kms,current old belt evenly reduced to half its original diameter & all teeth rubbed away. Previous belts, supplied by using my no plate reg, are somewhere on the M6 !! Belt seems to rub away then sink down into pulleys to bottom. Would a V belt make it run higher up on the pulley & thus avoid the slight rust etc at the bottom? All advice welcome,I will chech pulley alignment.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi All,newbie here with exactly same problem of shredding drive or fan belt on my Hymer B694 1989 fiat 2.5TD, mileage 82000. Have been thru 3 gates belts AVX 10 x
in 600 kms,current old belt evenly reduced to half its original diameter & all teeth rubbed away. Previous belts, supplied by using my no plate reg, are somewhere on the M6 !! Belt seems to rub away then sink down into pulleys to bottom. Would a V belt make it run higher up on the pulley & thus avoid the slight rust etc at the bottom? All advice welcome,I will chech pulley alignment.
A V belt with 'teeth' is still a V belt. There are several different cross-sections available and it is essential that you use the correct one. Too narrow and it will run in the bottom of the pulley (which sounds like your problem). Too wide it will sit too high. A V belt works by driving through the sides of the belt (a wedging action). If it touches the bottom of the pulley it will slip and wear. The correct section will have the 'top' of the belt section level with the sides of the pulley.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back