Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Is it me or was it a lot simpler with the caravan ? No trouble with 12v or solar panels , no egr valves. I guess it's me as its all stuff I do not seem to understand, but makes me think it was less hassle with a caravan.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You still need 12 volts with a caravan and a solar panel help be it on a motorhome or caravan, the other stuff ECU, EGR valves etc are all on the tow car so not much to choose from that point.

Martin

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Hi, never had solar then just used sites and plugged in to the mains. Am wondering if that is the easy answer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
I suppose it depends on how you are going to use your MH. If you are only ever going to be staying where you have an EHU then why would you bother with solar?
I think the benefit comes from the fact that you have the option to choose whether you stay on sites with EHU or spread your wings to more informal places etc

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
if you are a site sitter then caravan however if you like to wild camp, maybe more around and tour then a motorhome simple really. It all depends on that umbilical cord. tethered or free?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
My view is that most motorhome electrical systems are not fit for purpose from the factory.
Load them up with all the usual motorhome goodies and problems result.
It is easy to create conflicts in the wiring by connecting accessories.

A caravan on hookup rarely needs any extra systems added.

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We like quiet and hassle free where ever that is. If something is aggro it tends to be got rid of , be it car , washing machine etc etc.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
If you prefer to be on sites, then a caravan is probably best as everything you need is to hand and you have the car to get about in.
If you like to avoid sites and free camp then a Motor Home is best for that.
I have switched back to a caravan after 8 years with a Motor Home and would not switch back to a Motor Home again.
At one stage I had both.
I can free camp in the caravan, as I have an on board water supply, but generally I only do that at the ferry terminals.
I miss not being able to use the Aires, in France for example, but only slightly.

:cooler:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Deffo think it's how you want to holiday. If you want to move every day/two days then a MoHo, if you want to pitch up for a week/fortnight then a caravan. We have now done both and when we had the kids with us caravan was ideal, now we've got rid of them it's all change and our MoHo is ideal for what we want. :D

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We've done both and would never go back to a caravan. Costs a fortune to camp and you're just in a cramped mini-home. Prefer freedom to stop, sleep and take off without having to mess about with winding legs etc. Don't even get wet :D We use the bikes a lot more than we would with a caravan too, which is fab in France.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Is it me or was it a lot simpler with the caravan ? No trouble with 12v or solar panels , no egr valves. I guess it's me as its all stuff I do not seem to understand, but makes me think it was less hassle with a caravan.
Is all this hassle as you perceive it personal experience?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i get away almost every winter . hardly ever use sites or aires just wild/free camp where ever i want . mind you have to want to be in a place that doesnt bother others . seem to manage it most of the time.dont need ehu. always easy to get water and always a proper place to tip my waste . every town village can have it all.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Change to MH 18months ago on second one now,I would not go back to caravan, we use the solar panel on rallies.I always take generator but have yet to use it.we find it lot easier, drop car of at compound pick up MH no legs etc to jack up.We use electric bikes to get around I am however have a A frame fitted to my car but will not use it every time we use the MH. as above post the tow car can also break down.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Deffo think it's how you want to holiday. If you want to move every day/two days then a MoHo, if you want to pitch up for a week/fortnight then a caravan. We have now done both and when we had the kids with us caravan was ideal, now we've got rid of them it's all change and our MoHo is ideal for what we want. :D

I don't see how you can get to see much of where you are, if you are on the move every day, or even every two days.

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
When we had the caravan the kids were at home and we stayed on sites all the time. Now just the 2 of us we got the motorhome which we enjoy apart from the hassle with 12v and egr on the engine, none of which we had when caravaning as on site all the time. I know now older I would not enjoy the big sites as all we want is quiet now.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I like to drive throughout europe without having to book anywhere. Tuggers generally are tied to using campsites and thus a lot of pre planning.
Caravan systems are still 12 volt.
If you have EGR issues get someone to blank it off for you.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
We've done both and would never go back to a caravan. Costs a fortune to camp and you're just in a cramped mini-home. Prefer freedom to stop, sleep and take off without having to mess about with winding legs etc. Don't even get wet :D We use the bikes a lot more than we would with a caravan too, which is fab in France.

It doesn't cost a fortune to camp in a caravan, in fact it's the same price as a Motor Home, unless you always free camp, in which case a Caravan can't compete.
I've seen plenty of Caravans free camping over the years on my travels around Europe, though I doubt I would do it myself.
I know of a couple who free camped around Morocco, in a Caravan.
CL\CS in the UK and Acsi abroad, how cheap do you want it?
Cramped mini-home?
I bet there is more living space in my caravan, than many of the Motor Homes owned by people on here.

I don't get all the rattles and bangs either when traveling, or the draughts, just the cossetted luxury of my Mercedes-Benz C Class.

Don't pre-plan either just roll up at a site, never failed to get on one yet, home or abroad.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Well it means you can see a little of a lot of places rather than a lot of one place. Horses for courses. (y):D

Horses for courses indeed.

Did a Motor Home tour like that, in Eastern Europe 3000 miles and 7 countries in one month, never again. I see the photos and I couldn't tell you which city they were taken in, far too much to absorb in such a short time.

Recently did Madrid with the caravan, 7 nights on a pitch, with it's own shower and toilet, worked out at €19 per night.
Spent 5 days in Madrid and still didn't see everything.

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Cheers , going back to a caravan looking more tempting. Think you need to be mechanical/technical minded for motorhoming which is not me.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We full timed in a motor home for two years, then changed to a caravan because we wanted a car - bad move- we felt pinned down with the caravan, and have changed back to a motor home. We like campsites, and rarely wild camp, but we love being able to up sticks and go at a moments notice - and we've always got the option to wild if we want to.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
We full timed in a motor home for two years, then changed to a caravan because we wanted a car - bad move- we felt pinned down with the caravan, and have changed back to a motor home. We like campsites, and rarely wild camp, but we love being able to up sticks and go at a moments notice - and we've always got the option to wild if we want to.

How with a caravan can I not up sticks and go at a moments notice?

The only things I have to do that you may not, is tip my grey waste (assuming I've bothered to collect any), wind up the legs (electric drill) and hook it on the car. Motor mover fitted so no manual pushing or pulling.
I probably take about 10 minutes more than you do.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I don't really see how it can be simpler with a caravan ....

You have to hitch up, tow, unhitch, roll water around.... there is grief when shopping (on route).....they are WIDE..... mpg is horrendous ..... you can't use Aires, Sostas or Stellplatze........ I could go on and on :eek:

On the other hand if you want to park for a week, 3 times a year........ they're fantastic (y)

It is a choice thing :rolleyes:

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I don't really see how it can be simpler with a caravan ....

You have to hitch up, tow, unhitch, roll water around.... there is grief when shopping (on route).....they are WIDE..... mpg is horrendous ..... you can't use Aires, Sostas or Stellplatze........ I could go on and on :eek:

On the other hand if you want to park for a week, 3 times a year........ they're fantastic (y)

It is a choice thing :rolleyes:

On board water tank. I tour regularly with the caravan, in fact more than I did with the Motorhome in the last year I had it.

Shopping no problems, I can go where most Motohomes can go.

Interesting that you talk about towing, as I seem to think that there are a few on here who tow behind their motorhomes.

My caravan and Mercedes car cost just over half what my last Motorhome cost, more money for my travels.:LOL:

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I guess people see different tasks as easy or hard. Driving and hitching up something wide is easy for me , yet technical stuff is hard. We are all different in our skills or lack of.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back