Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Looking...
Exp
Previous caravanner
This seems to fit our bill. Mrs is concerned about the mileage but 70k doesnt seem much for a 2.8 diesel does it?

Broken Link Removed

TIA

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
My Transit has done 155,000 so mileage not a problem.

But you make have trouble selling it on as folk do panic about high miles.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
70000 miles is not even fully run in. Now all you have to worry about is it watertight :whistle:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
No mention of service history which is much more important than mileage.
4 berth but only 2 belted seats.

If they can come up with some decent service history and there are only 2 of you, it could be a good buy.

The mileage might be a useful price negotiation feature.

OP
OP
C

CHF

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Looking...
Exp
Previous caravanner
Yes only two of us (plus cat and dog) hence the need for U lounge and only require 2 belts.

As for watertight, how do I approach this? Ive seen the damp meters but also read if you dont know where to look then there a waste of time! Is it viable to have it checked out after purchase and return if a problem?

The milegae is a concern as are going into this with the view that if it doesnt suit we can cash it back in a hopefully only lose a few k so would still want to get a decent resale in 12 months if requried.

OP
OP
C

CHF

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Looking...
Exp
Previous caravanner
70000 miles is not even fully run in. Now all you have to worry about is it watertight :whistle:.

Are you specifically referring to the fact its a Swift or just in general? I have read about swifts leaking.

OP
OP
C

CHF

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Looking...
Exp
Previous caravanner
Called about service history but it sold on friday! - thanks anyway.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Nothing to stop you asking Baldwin's if they would give you some form of damp guarantee, maybe 12 months?
Worth a pop.

Don't forget, if you bought it at around that price and then decided to sell it privatel after 12 months you may well take quite a knock, so do whatever you can to get that price down.
Do you know how long they've had it in stock?

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
That is the same engine as we have in our 2000 W reg Autotrail, regularly serviced & it goes like a train.
70k is nothing for a big diesel like that, ours is in the 80k range now, I'd drive to Portugal in it tomorrow if I could, like I did last year, no worries.
I've been told to expect it to go at least twice around the clock before any concerns .
Better a van that's been a regular runner than an older van that's been stood for most of its life.
As long as it gets clean oil & filters, cam belts as specified etc.
Can't comment on the swift part but it looks good. As has been said just confirm its a dry one(y)
Forgot to mention that there has been 5th gear issues with Fiats of this era, just something to watch out for, ask the seller like I did. He showed me receipts for a repair & advice re how best to treat 5th.
Plenty of threads on here about it if you want to do some research.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Are you specifically referring to the fact its a Swift or just in general? I have read about swifts leaking.

In general. Though Swift have had some real disasters in the water ingress department.

Get someone who can really use a damp meter to over and under it. The cost of repairs could be horrendous if you have bad water ingress.

Reactions: CHF

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

As Brian stated, Swifts had a horrendous reputation for water ingress and if contemplating buying one of there models especially as a first time buyer get an independent damp survey done before parting with any money.

Reactions: CHF
OP
OP
C

CHF

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Looking...
Exp
Previous caravanner
As Brian stated, Swifts had a horrendous reputation for water ingress and if contemplating buying one of there models especially as a first time buyer get an independent damp survey done before parting with any money.

Thanks. How do you go about finding a damp inspector? I'm now looking at a Elddis.

It's only done 25k in 11 years though which seems very low to me. I assume this also can cause problems.

OP
OP
C

CHF

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Looking...
Exp
Previous caravanner
In general. Though Swift have had some real disasters in the water ingress department.

Get someone who can really use a damp meter to over and under it. The cost of repairs could be horrendous if you have bad water ingress.

Same question to you as to Snowbird then. I'm in Manchester area.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
To be perfectly honest I have never used a mobile caravan engineer for damp checks as am capable of doing my own, but I would imagine any competent caravan engineer would do one for you.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
One I have used is JMR Caravan Care.
He is based in Urmston just near me, His name is Jonathan, 07810 677 410.
If you google you can find quite a few caravan/motorhome engineers in and around Manchester.

Also look up BCS Manchester, we bought our last MH from there, based in Littleborough, all the vehicles were nicely presented and undercover, have a look at their website.

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
Yes only two of us (plus cat and dog) hence the need for U lounge and only require 2 belts.

As for watertight, how do I approach this? Ive seen the damp meters but also read if you dont know where to look then there a waste of time! Is it viable to have it checked out after purchase and return if a problem?

The milegae is a concern as are going into this with the view that if it doesnt suit we can cash it back in a hopefully only lose a few k so would still want to get a decent resale in 12 months if requried.

I think the U shaped lounge is much more flexible, comfortable seating for a glass or two of wine in the evening and then a quick conversion to the night time sleeping arrangement. We have a bed making up routine, that gets it over with in a couple of minutes, organised by my wife of course. Took me a couple of rewrites to make that sentence seem less suggestive lol. We currently have the swift escape 622 with a U shaped lounge. it does for us. Our first van was an Elddis Sunseeker 25, we knew nothing at all about the dangers of damp and later had to pay £800 to have it sorted. I now check with my damp meter a couple of times a year.

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
This seems to fit our bill. Mrs is concerned about the mileage but 70k doesnt seem much for a 2.8 diesel does it?

Broken Link Removed

TIA
Lovely van... cant beat end lounge... only point for me is no rear seat belts for taking anyone with you... why make a 4 berth when you can only take two? Still it looks in great condition. Good luck (y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
my self I would rather a base vehicle be used on a regular basis then one that has been stored on damp grass for many months so a higher mileage would not bother me, most of these diesels are meant for delivery drivers doing hundreds of thousands of miles.... As long as they are serviced regular, 10-15k a year would not bother ma at all.
Just make sure you are buying a legit vehicle is most important.
Happy hunting..

Angelwitch

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Hornsea
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
A shame nothing for you at BCS,we got ours there and were very impressed with aftersales.very helpful bunch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back