Aerobie Aeropress Coffee Maker (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Funster coffee lovers - Has anyone got one of these? If yes what are your thoughts on them? Thinking of getting one for the van to avoid the mess from the cafeteria or the inconvenience of not being able to use my Nespresso machine when not on hook up and also not being able to source the pods while travelling.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Made my morning cup of coffee with one today. It is excellent for the MH as you can empty the grounds onto a bit of kitchen paper and dispose of them in the bin. This avoids clogging up the waste tank with old coffee grounds

I like the coffee it makes, a bit like the coffee you make with a cafetiere or whatever it is called, one of those things you press down on to depress a plunger. It isn't espresso but it tastes nice to me.

Very quick to make too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Number one son is a big fan of Aeropress, I use a cafetiere, so I can compare the two.
I find the Aeropress a lot more faffing about for little gain. Its advantage is that it is filtered coffee so no residue in the mug afterwards.
The downside is that you must get the filter in correctly or all the grinds ends up in the mug.
Use correctly most of the grinds go in the bin when you ping off the filter, but you still have to rinse off the end of the plunger.
I find it difficult to gauge the right amount of water, as some dribble through when you are filling, too much and it goes everywhere when you push down the plunger.
You have the cost of the filters.
Starter kit aren't a massive expense, try one and see how you get on.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Jan is very fussy with her coffee.
I installed a Tassimo machine in the old MoHo and she was quite happy with that.
However, we have just discovered these:

They are very good coffee and with absolutely no mess.
Works out about 17p per cup (y)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have one and it does come out to play occasionally. They make 'rough' coffee taste quite smooth (I mean cheap coffee) but to be honest there is a lot of messing around involved. For one person to make a large mug they are OK but for two of you a bit of a squeeze .....

Plus I find that the coffee is never really quite hot enough. Also they use coffee at twice the rate of a Moka Pot :eek:

Now if you like good quality coffee with minimum fuss, get a Bialetti.......... 'proper coffee' :D:D:D

We use our Bialetti every day at home and have a separate one in the van which gets used everyday when we are touring.

I am not going to rave on too much because this thread will deteriorate into 'coffee wars'

I like them and they make better, stronger,cheaper, easier coffee than almost everything else, including the Aeropress :p

They you are, I'll get down off my shop box now ;):)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If you use Tassimo or Nespresso, then sorry you're not fussy about coffee!
[ooh controversial]
But if you like their output, then that's all good (I have both).
I also have a Bialetti, an Aeropress and a Cafetiere...
All produce excellent coffee but each one produces a different cup of coffee. I would suggest they're not comparable.
If you particularly like one method, then another might make to but it won't be the same, or even similar..
For me, an Aeropress enables me to make a decent coffee in most situations.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have aerobie aeropress. If you are at the Stratford show we can have a play if you want.
I have a new bag of beans to open and grind (y)

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I have an aeropress too and find it the best of all the coffee gadgets I've tried. Using the "upside down method" improved it's usefulness 100% (YouTube it for examples). The filters make the whole process easy and clean. I've been very impressed with it given the cost.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
[QUOTE="chockswahay, post: 1452872, member: 21238"

this thread will deteriorate into 'coffee wars'

[/QUOTE]

Said so :p;)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Love the aeropress, tried most other methods, definitely the easiest to clean and the coffee is good. Just need to sort out a way to grind beans off hook up?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yes, I have one. Bloody brilliant, use it when we have no EHU and I can't use the coffee machine. I got it as a gift from my sister in law, it now lives in the van. Always make sure I have grounds to go in it, I am a coffee snob, if you hadn't guessed :D

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Love the aeropress, tried most other methods, definitely the easiest to clean and the coffee is good. Just need to sort out a way to grind beans off hook up?
I bought one of those jap grinders with the ceramic blades. Does the job but takes it out of your arms if you have to grind enough for guests :rolleyes:

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Found the grinder I got at the same time as my Aerobie.
I bought a grinder like that, but as you say guests have to be planned for. Would love a battery or rechargeable version, but cannot find one that does not cost too much.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for all the reviews, think I am going to go for it and get one this week.

As for the grinder, surely you clever lot could make/design a drill attachment for the grinder....think I might get Colin on the case, he always has a cordless drill onboard.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As for the grinder

One like this for the van ,
Zassenhaus are the leading manufacturers of manual coffee mills, widely regarded as best in the world..

and for home.. a Dualit .. 'probably' the best electric, ..our last one lasted 10+ years .. so bought a new one

For perculated coffee on the gas hob or camp fire.. I love this one..
Petromax Coffee Pot

Also use a Bodum French Press

and an Bialetti Italian Espresso maker

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have always used one of these on the hob but 2 cup size

Oops! crossed with above post

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have always used one of these on the hob but 2 cup size

We have always used '3 cup' size for the two us.................... then last year in Alsace a tiny little French lady stepped out of her van with a Bialetti in her hand..........

It was the BIGGEST BADDEST moka pot I have ever seen :eek::eek::eek: I'd swear she must have OD'd on coffee.......must have made enough for about 20 people:eek:

I did feel quite inadequate :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I use a Bialetti

It's on offer on Amazon at the moment, so good I bought a second one for my daughter.

Even though this is the 6 cup model it will make 2 mugs of coffee.
Collect our Lavaza coffee from Carefour & away we go, I also bought the Bialetti frother & am now No1 Latte maker in a team of two so SHMBO tells me, anyone think I have been conned?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001IXA4Y/?tag=mhf04-21

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Can anyone recommend a decent thermal mug, not a metal one that burns your lips and not a tall one with a narrow base e.g. those Costa ones ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back