Iceland (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We catch the ferry to Iceland from Denmark on 13 June and will be there for a month to take it all in slowly.
Sure others have been there before us and I am looking for any helpfull advice.Have not booked any campsites, hope to wild camp and take things as they come.

Thanks in advance if you reply

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
In the early 80's I was flying back to UK from Vancouver. The pilot made an announcement along the lines of, "I have good news and bad news". First, the good news. For those of you who have never been to Iceland you are going tonight. For those of you who have been to Iceland - you're going again."

Admittedly, we just sat on the tarmac for 2 hours for refuelling. I'm sure it's a wonderful place - just had to mention my tale.

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
We went over last November to try and see the Northern Lights. We didn't, but had a fantastic time there, despite rain, snow and long, dark days (and only being there for four days).

It's a really different place to visit, full of interesting places. We were in a hire car, not in the van, and in the winter they close some of the roads, but in summer I can't see there being a problem travelling around the island. I've got a feeling I read somewhere that they're not keen on people wild camping, but I could be wrong. There are certainly plenty of areas where you could potentially stop over.

Highlights for us were the natural spa, the waterfall (southern part of the island), black beaches, volcanic landscapes reminiscent of a sci-fi movie, standing over the two tectonic plates, the old fish cafe at the harbour and the quirky architecture of the houses. The ubiquitous fish soup was good, not so keen on whale myself though. We'd go back again if there were not so many other countries we haven't yet visited...

Jealous you've got a whole month over there.

Steve :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi Mojo - You could perhaps appreciate the fact that few people seem to have travelled there with vans? I have seen on one of the motorhome forums that someone has been - so maybe worth you doing a bit more searching.
My very limited experience of sailing to the Westman Islands and into Reykavik a long time ago - was that it was a very - very crime free place - Everyone seemed to speak perfect American and they were very helpful. Nearly all the tourists then travelled on organised tours around Iceland. Lots of swimming pools around even in the small towns - heated geothermally?
Sure you will have the rough guide kind of books showing pretty much that the main road/s just go right around the coast.
It was expensive beyond belief - making Norway prices look like poundland.
The scenery in many places was something you would expect on the surface of the moon -
For sure it will be a unique place to travel in your van - and will be very interested to hear how it goes and your experience of the ferry from Denmark.
Steve

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Love Iceland but have never been in a motorhome. Last time we were there the prices had come down a little so only one mortgage required :)

I know there is an official campsite in Reykjavik as I walked past. It appeared to be well signposted, clean and tidy. There is a footpath / cycle track around Reykjavik and I walked part of it (back in the days I could walk a decent distance).

Iceland's laws are such that you can camp almost anywhere. You must seek the permission of any farmer whose land you plan to camp on, and wild camping in national parks is absolutely forbidden.

Hope that helps.

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
The cc club runs a tour to Iceland if you go on their website it gives you the route and I think the campsites. May be of some use, one of our friends it taking their caravan over in June or July so must be fine for travel
Enjoy it
LC

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
As said above i havnt been over in a MH but a fantastic place to visit

Too late for Northern Lights but the Golden Triangle is good plenty of waterfalls to visit

They have cheaper food shops that use a pig picture for their stores a sort of lidl shop

Eating out can be as expensive or as cheap as you want Pizzas about the same as here and steak around £12 so similar to here

I wouldnt travel too far off the main roads as the more inland roads seem to be just dirt roads if your lucky

As said very little crime so can relax

Hope you have a great time

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Lucky you. Please post lots of pictures. We'd love to go there.
It's very expensive To get there, we've been told though. So we'd have to wait until we can spend more time there .
Plus take lots of food , something we don't normally do.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I always work things back to GBP and most of the items were on par with here :)
Yes, we noticed last time we were there that the relative prices had come to be more in line. Greenland was still expensive though :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Ohh whats Greenland like, apart from cold :)

Worth a visit?

Definitely somewhere to go at least once in a lifetime - but not with a motorhome as there are no roads outside of the settlements! Best way to go is probably by cruise ship but you don't get long in each place.... otherwise it is ship from Iceland I would think.

First time we went back in 2005 it really was rather primitive but last time (2012) there had been a lot more investment and there were real jetties rather than a scramble up the rocks from the ship's tenders.

If I get the chance I will go again - and again- and again!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Will have to look into this

Wont be via cruise though we dont do boats well the wife doesnt :D

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Will have to look into this

Wont be via cruise though we dont do boats well the wife doesnt :D
The international airports are at Narsarsuaq and Nuuk (Nuuk is the capital but don't blink for too long) - transfers are generally by small boat - no roads between settlements in Greenland!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
What do you call a short boat trip? Best to check first:) unless you want to go from place to place by light aircraft or helicopter. There are always quad bikes of course....... Eirik the Red's settlement is well worth a trip :) from Narsarsuaq

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Probably a bit late for the OP @mojo but three vans from the Murvi Owners' Club are in Iceland at the moment. This is the answer I got from one of them about costs.

Hi John

It was very expensive to get here, as the ferry takes nearly 4 days (3 nights).

We were expecting everything to be expensive but have been pleasantly surprised. The Kroner is pegged to the Euro, so that's in our favour. Plus I think we have forgotten how food prices crept up at home a few years back.

Diesel is just over £1 a litre; today's campsite cost me £10 as a single person and supermarket prices haven't been the shock we expected. I think those who are hit are those who are eating out every night, especially with wine. Although even the alcohol isn't too bad if you buy it as a self- caterer.

So, expensive to get there but not too bad if you stay away from restaurants!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I was told a few years by friends and family in the Faroes that Icelandic prices were ten times those in the Faroes, themselves 70% more than the UK. Since the financial crisis and Icelands particular problems (remember Icesave and Kaupthingedge) things have got more affordable for foreign visitors and, if anything, things are starting to improve so now may be a good time to go. I'm not sure if UK investors ever saw any of the nearly £1b invested in their financial institutions but I suppose it was small fry compared to the Greek tragedy. As for the crossing from Denmark we've given up on Smyril Line and Norrona, some 36 hours from Hirtshals to Torshavn and because they turn the ship around so quickly we have to vacate the cabin 2 hours before landing, no fun for a 5.00am arrival last time. Add to that they removed the fridge from the outside cabins so you couldn't take perishable supplies for the journey which led to many complaints from families with children who couldn't afford to eat in the restaurants on board. The Faroese built a new ferry for the two hour journey between Torshavn and the southernmost island Suduroy and there has been suggestions that this could be used for a weekly trip to Scrabster and a resurrection of the link between the UK and the Faroes but we wait in vain. Still the plane for us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back