Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Hornsea
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
House sold and so it begins,waited years for this...The ferry?dog owners out there ,does your pooch travel better in your van or has anyone tried the onboard kennels?

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
This depends on many things, such as:

Which crossing are you using? Many longer routes have dog-friendly cabins now, such as Brittany ferries Economie service. Some crossings REQUIRE you to leave them in onboard kennels, which I think is stressful for all but the most laid-back, confident dogs.
Is your dog used to, and happy, to spend time alone in your van?

I've been crossing for over twenty years with dogs. Despite my dog (and past dog) being well-trained and trusting, I prefer to use the shortest crossings available and leave them in the van, music on, plenty of water and importantly, not too much fuss when I leave (I'm a dog training instructor - the bigger a deal you make, the guiltier you act for leaving them, the more anxious they will become).

I have left my present dog up to five hours in the van on crossings (Marseille - Corsica). To get to the continent, I use the simple Dover-Calais crossing - my dog is so familiar with it, she often stays sleepily in her bed while I lock up and head for the stairs. Some people prefer the tunnel as they can stay with their dogs - fine, but better to train your dog to cope with being alone so you are not a slave to that.
I have once used onboard kennels as there was no other option - Patras - Venice (24 hours) but the entire top deck was available for walking them and I just found a corner of the deck and 'camped-out' with her most of the time. This winter I drive to Sicily, taking the ferry back to Genoa which offers a special deal - dog cabins available.

Jac

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We've always left ours in the car/van ever since the pet passport was introduced, even on 12 hour crossings (just went to let them out for a pee mid crossing).
Much less stressful than being left in a strange uncomfortable kennel

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Tried the kennels but now leave him in the van, last returned via the tunnel. Much better, won't use the ferry now unless the price is too good to refuse(y)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Just wondered how you could get to your can mid crossing to walk your dog? Normally you can't access the vehicle decks for safety reasons.
Dog friendly cabins are difficult to book as my understanding us you have to book well in advance, as there is not many of them.

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
Our dog stays in the RV on long or short crossings, tried the kennels once on the Grimaldi line to Sicily.
Terrible kennels right by the engine exhaust and just open mesh. Dog got soaked overnight and was shaking the next morning, never again!

Never had a problem accessing the vehicle deck for dog walks etc.

Terry

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
So if you are going for example Dover to Calais do you have a choice as to whether to put them in a kennel or can you leave them in the MH? and is it around 4 hrs?

Deleted User
We use tunnel as well so dogs don't get left alone. Never used kennels on any crossing but the ones we have seen are stacked and open to busy decks.
When we lived in Germany did leave 2 eldest in car on short crossing when we moved over, wouldn't do it again, too many stories of dogs in distress. Saying that would be different in a motorhome as much bigger. Our two eldest dogs would be ok left in the motorhome for a shorter crossing alone, the youngest wouldn't. Only you know how your own dog will cope.
For us cost is not an option always the dogs welfare so we have only used tunnel since, both with car and MH with no issues.

Lin :)

OP
OP
Angelwitch

Angelwitch

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Hornsea
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for all that you wonderful lot.Our first trip is Ireland ,so no tunnel! Also can i leave my gas on for my fridge? wanted to pack my freezer before i go,and dont want my beer getting warm!(horror of horrors!)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for all that you wonderful lot.Our first trip is Ireland ,so no tunnel! Also can i leave my gas on for my fridge? wanted to pack my freezer before i go,and dont want my beer getting warm!(horror of horrors!)
Hi and welcome to the madhouse! :)

What dog have you got? We use the tunnel for France etc as one of our little dogs got severely frightened on a ferry when she was in our MH and now is a quivering wreck! As 2 of our dogs are small, when we went to Ireland we put them in 'holdall' type dog carriers and took them up to the lounge with us, sitting in an out of the way quiet place. No-one batted an eyelid (they stayed in their carriers) and it was permitted for foot passengers to do this anyway.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So if you are going for example Dover to Calais do you have a choice as to whether to put them in a kennel or can you leave them in the MH? and is it around 4 hrs?
No they stay in the vehicle & the crossing is only just over an hour . Dover -Dunkirk being slightly longer distance is nearer 1,5 hours.

OP
OP
Angelwitch

Angelwitch

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Hornsea
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
She's a patterdale very loving but a tad timid....have to use medication around bonfire night.She is used to being in van alone when we go to gigs but i'm nervous that she will be worried about the noise from the ferry and the 'motion'.

Deleted User
She's a patterdale very loving but a tad timid....have to use medication around bonfire night.She is used to being in van alone when we go to gigs but i'm nervous that she will be worried about the noise from the ferry and the 'motion'.
We did live on board with our 3 earlier in yr (long crossing though) and yes the decks on ferries are noisy, ours were a bit unsure at first even with us with them. If it's a short trip and on a ferry that accepts foot passengers, maybe one of you could walk on with the dog and stay on deck, or may even be option to walk her to deck once on board?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Unfortunately the only ferry I'm aware of that allows 'unrestrained' dogs on-board is the one to the Isle of Wight, for all others it's either stay in the vehicle, or go in the on-board kennels. UK to France ones and UK to Ireland don't allow them to be unrestrained.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
One of ours is a Patterdale and she's the one that was frightened, as your dog is already wary I'd be tempted to do the 'holdall' trick - there are some proper doggie ones that are very discrete in design so you'd be hard pushed to tell them from a standard holdall without being very close! (y)

Example of what I'm on about below:

Broken Link Removed

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Tunnel for us every time. I wouldn't put them in the kennels and I don't like the idea of leaving them in the van and not being able to stay with them.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya the few times we went on the ferry we used to leave music on as a lot of noise on car deck.. but mostly went on train but if anyone going in kennels it would be me

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Just wondered how you could get to your can mid crossing to walk your dog? Normally you can't access the vehicle decks for safety reasons.
Dog friendly cabins are difficult to book as my understanding us you have to book well in advance, as there is not many of them.
On Brittany ferries St Malo crossing (12 hours) they took us down to the car deck half way if we asked.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

They are also horribly expensive. Just playing around a while ago I looked at Portsmouth/Plymouth (can't remember which) to Santander. I think I had to go well over 6 months in advance to find some availability.

They only allow one pet per cabin so to take 2 dogs I would have had to book 2 cabins.

The return trip for 2 adults, 1 child, 2 dogs and the MH was just under £1500 :Eeek: so we won't be doing that. If we ever want to go to Spain it'll be the tunnel and drive down.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
depends when your sailing . i,m a brittany club member and last winter it was 389 quid return . if i still had the dog it was about a further 70 quid . she stayed in the truck and i came down every three hours . it can all be arranged with the burser on board . my dog hated the kennels .
gone up this year looks like 205 quid to get away this winter they havent issued the winter crossings yet . so cant price the return . i never have a cabin .

Mar 1, 2015
stevenage
Funster No
MH
rapido 709f
Exp
since1990
Crossed to France in May with my dog and stayed in the van with her.Just set the alarm and went to sleep.I'm going again in a couple of days.i'll be driving to Koblenz Germany and traveling down the Mosel stopping at the stellplatz on the way.I will be staying in the van again with my dog.I'm sure lots of motorhomers do the same.

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Crossed to France in May with my dog and stayed in the van with her.Just set the alarm and went to sleep.I'm going again in a couple of days.i'll be driving to Koblenz Germany and traveling down the Mosel stopping at the stellplatz on the way.I will be staying in the van again with my dog.I'm sure lots of motorhomers do the same.
My wife stayed with our dog in the van a few weeks back when we came home via Holyhead to Dublin.....Will do the same next trip. Would never even consider using kennels.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Are you talking about the ferry or tunnel?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
My wife stayed with our dog in the van a few weeks back when we came home via Holyhead to Dublin.....Will do the same next trip. Would never even consider using kennels.

I don't think you're allowed to stay in your vehicle on cross channel ferries.

The tunnel crossing is under an hour.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back