Insurance beware (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Anyone checking round for better insurance terms, BEWARE OF OFFERS from a well known Caravan Club.
I recently received an offer from The Caravan Club promising to beat my insurance renewal by £25 on like for like terms. Many fellow motorhomers will also have read about this in various magazines and mail shots, tempting maybe.
I contacted them today, so as to not mislead them I stated exactly what I had covered now and would like a quote for the same so it would be a fair comparison.
The operative then prices at £390 with £250 excess and asked what my renewal was so he could impliment the guaranteed £25 less and beat my renewal. After telling him £200 he came back with £175. The shock set in when he next mentioned the excess would be increased to over £1000, yes £1000.
The point I am making is how can they just remove over £200 from the price quoted but employ a very clever (terms & conditions) previously not disclosed trick of imposing an unrealistic excess. The answer was because of the vehicle value, that's a new one to add to my list. After 10 motorhomes no insurer has ever stated this but some, naturally, have increased the premium because of the value but NEVER the excess ploy. Surely we pay our premiums to ease stress and worry, are we now to take out an insurance policy to eliminate the excess???
After contacting another provider he quoted me £290 with £250 excess and would you believe from the same insurance company that wanted £390 plus £1000 excess.
The term cowboy's and indians comes to mind.
In my opinion these bandits should be removed from the planet along with the major banks.
So please be aware all is not rosy when hoping to obtain a £25 reduction, AS PROMISED, but most of us know about the film called THE STING!!
Wiljoy
Glad to give names to anyone who contacts me, along with some good guys.

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
The operative then prices at £390 with £250 excess and asked what my renewal was so he could impliment the guaranteed £25 less and beat my renewal. After telling him £200 he came back with £175. The shock set in when he next mentioned the excess would be increased to over £1000, yes £1000.

So, it's not 'like for like' then is it :Angry: I often wonder how they can get away with these scams, they just treat their customers like s**t.

I wonder what would happen if you refused to give your present premium and just told them to quote their best offer and if it wasn't what you wanted put the phone down ::bigsmile:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I recently received an offer from The Caravan Club promising to beat my insurance renewal by £25 on like for like terms. Many fellow motorhomers will also have read about this in various magazines and mail shots, tempting maybe.
I contacted them today, so as to not mislead them I stated exactly what I had covered now and would like a quote for the same so it would be a fair comparison.
Checking the excess figure on any premium is an absolute top priority though i must admit i've never heard of one as high as £1000. Only a fool would go ahead with that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all I did the same thing last year and after getting a quote I rang the CC to complain They were not very happy bunnies :ROFLMAO: with the insurance, but with in the hour I got a call and the exact cover that I already had :thumb::thumb: £25 cheaper than my renewal :thumb: inc the excess.:thumb:
I had thought of going else where but then thought about it and the £25 is better in my pocket ::bigsmile::ROFLMAO: It will be interesting in a few months time :ROFLMAO:
terry

traveller

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
Hello

I remeber a few years ago we had a similar offer for joining the CC. We still gained a substantial amount even after paying the CC membership cost. However on renewal it was cheaper to go back to my old insurer. They slapped on a renewal fee and a £ 30 arrangement fee. When I complained about these costs I was told it was for their proffessional services. I told em where to go.

Traveller

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
My insurance was due in March, having received the quote from my existing company I phoned the Caravan Club for a quote. They came back with a higher figure than my existing company. I asked about their guarantee to beat an existing quote by £25, which company they wanted to know was I currently using. It was Equity Red Star through a broker, oh they said we use Equity Red Star to get a price £25 cheaper and clearly they wont beat their own quote!!!!!. I was not happy and complained that they were misrepresenting the facts in their advertising, their reply was that this information was "IN THE SMALL PRINT".
Needless to say they didn't get my business, in the end went with Cover Sure and got a much better deal including continental cover and European breakdown cover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I had a unpleasant experience with CC insurance a few years back . I had been in UK and joined CC after buying a couple of year old two axle senator , at the same time I insured it with them , and then used it to take my parents on a tour thru Europe , for a couple of months. I returned to Oz for work reasons but left caravan with parents as I intended to return to UK . Before I returned from OZ , on a bank holiday weekend the caravan was stolen they cut of a hitchlock , wheelclamp and a chain round a five bar steel gate , whilst my parents were away, they returned on the tuesday having left on the friday . As luck or (lack of ) would have it, the insurance was due for renewal on that weekend , we subsequently found out has no renewal documentation had arrived at my parent's . The insurance refused to accept the claim as we could not tell them which day the caravan had been stolen , so might not have been on the day the insurance covered. They had automatically renewed my club memebership , from my credit card , but not the insurance . I tried to tell them that having renewed my club membership , automatically why not the insurance, and about not recieving any renewal info, and was happy to renew the insurance , but they just said sorry cant help they would not go 50% on the chance it was stolen whilst it was still insured . Needless to say after that 11 grand lesson :cry:never used them since . :Angry:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Regrettably tac that attitude would be par for the course 'these days' - although it is in fact 'correct'. Membership services are indeed entirely separate from insurance services and have to be so, in order to be legal !

Lots of cases of travel agents blithely assuring folk they are covered when they have pre-existing conditions which render the cover a) invalid and b) useless when they get taken ill wherever. This is because travel agents are not trained to be insurance experts - which really we should never have expected em to be in the first place. You wouldn't ask your accountant to take care of your dentistry would you?

(I've just realised what a stupid comment that was - the accountant would likely be even more expensive than the flippin dentist .... so you'd never do that anyway!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back