Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
On the look out for a new motorhome (fixed bed, and yes ours will be up for sale when were sorted). Question is I understand that some people might be avoiding listing fees, but why are so many Motorhomes listed on eBay/ Gumtree etc with wrong/low asking prices, is there a code or some way that I'm missing that tells me how much they really want for the vehicle?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Motorhomes listed on eBay/ Gumtree etc with wrong/low asking prices,

I suspect many on ebay are scams ..

Try Autotrader, but again, no guarantee it isn't a scam..

If you know what van you want, do some research and get a ball park price for that year and model at a dealers..

private should be a few £k lower.. but if it looks too good to be true.. it's probably a scam.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
How i always get around the listing/seller fees is to include my tel number amongst the description saying "Any questions please feel free to ask or txt me on 079700700700" It worked a treat when i sold my motorbike a couple of weeks ago, had a txt message after 1 hour with an offer and the next was a phone call - SOLD and collected within a couple of hours, i then removed the listing saying there was an error in the starting price, it is always a little un nerving though when someone travels 2 hours down the motorway from Preston with a handful of cash at 1 am in the morning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As said.. Many are scams !! Aimed to get people interested who may send a deposit or even the full amount, then no van exists. Gumtree and others are the same.. "if it looks to good to be true, then it is"

OP
OP
Bluestar

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Cheers for that yes I guessed the avoiding the fees bit but life's to short to phone text every vehicle we might be interested in, on the off chance that it might be a good price.
If it was something simple that you could work out what the price was meant to be, it would save every one a lot of time :)

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It reminds me of (story?) the guy who saw an advert for a nearly new luxury car priced at £10.

He thought it must be a misprint and phoned to see what the real price was.

"£10 is the real price"

He went around to see what it was all about.

The husband, who had owned the car, had died and instructed in his will that the car should be sold and the proceeds be given to his young mistress.

The wife was selling the car.

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
Bluestar

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Like that, I seem to remember there was a scorned wife tht sold her husbads car in revenge for he's indescretions at a silly price, any motorhome owners husbands playing away?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It reminds me of (story?) the guy who saw an advert for a nearly new luxury car priced at £10.

He thought it must be a misprint and phoned to see what the real price was.

"£10 is the real price"

He went around to see what it was all about.

The husband, who had owned the car, had died and instructed in his will that the car should be sold and the proceeds be given to his young mistress.

The wife was selling the car.

JJ :cool:
My dad did something similar. He saw an advert for a 1 year old vauxhaul cresta at a ridiculously cheap price. thinking no harm in asking he phoned the number and was told yes its genuine but he should see it before committing to buying
on arrival at the house the owner a middle aged woman handed him the keys and said its in the garage and to help himself as she didnt want to see it. the story was her husband had killed himself in the car. he gassed himself and slit his wrist. so the front seat and carpet were stained with blood
he did buy it and got it professionally cleaned. still a massive bargain though and on a positive note, he helped the widow move on from the tragedy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back