Not Good In Calais Last Saturday - Migrants Ggrrrrrr!! (1 Viewer)

Mar 28, 2015
Runcorn, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20+ years
Drove into Calais last Friday 5th June and parked at Citie Europe after travelling down to Croatia and being away for 8 weeks. We have parked at Citie Europe for the past five years, four times a year without a problem but last Friday afternoon we sat in our van (there were about 8 other vans there) and watched migrants, about seven of them, checking out the underneath of coaches and buses parked just further up the car park we were parked on.

About 6.30 they started blatantly checking out the motorhomes themselves including our own. The cheeky beggar then had the brass neck to casually walk down the side of our van and peer in the windows to give my wife a cheesy smile !!!! These guys had no fear at all.

I got out and had a word with a few of the other English motorhomers. I told them I was going to the big aires by Bleriot beach but one guy said it was 20 times worse there. They were talking about Gravelines being the safest nearest aire so we, and about three other vans elected to go there. It was quiet and safe there.

As stated before we've been to Citie Europe many, many times and its always felt safe but I do know that they now put the lights out there come about 11 pm and we just did not fancy being parked there in total darkness with so many migrants hanging around and being so bold and desperate.

What has changed? personally I think the numbers of migrants have increased dramatically and either the French police are understaffed and unable to cope or the French are letting the situation get out of hand.

Personally, I won't be stopping in the Calais area until this is sorted properly. Things are simply getting out of hand now !!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
have heard from a few people that some people have been stupid enough to actually help smuggle people in, in their vehicles

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You're right when you say they have no fear at all. They've nothing to lose, French police don't want to arrest them, they are fed by a few churches/ charities and the French authorities are probably glad for as many to disappear as possible. If they disappear to the UK via lorries, buses or motorhomes then they're someone else's problem.
No other European country hands out benefits & it is relatively simple for anyone illegally in Britain to become invisible. Cultural ties and mores are strong, providing shelter, employment and often exploitation until the debt is paid off.
I think you were wise to move somewhere you felt safer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As you drive up to the Calais Port gates the two lanes split into freight on the right and tourist traffic on the left, a few hundred metres from the gate. Trouble is, if the Police pull a truck over to check it, they pull it into to the left lane, which snarls up the tourist traffic. Anyone turfed off a truck then wanders back down the traffic jam eyeing up alternative means of transport.

So, if the left lane stops, join the truck lane if it's still moving - you won't get stuck in it because you can pull back across just short of the gate.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have already made a decision not to travel home via Calais. It will be a ferry from another port back to Britain until they sort this out.

It is not so much that we feel unsafe, more a feeling that I don't want my motorhome damaged. Bike rack safe working load 35kgs. Illegal immigrant using it to climb on the roof = 100kgs.

But we are stupid in the UK. We give everything away. :(

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Stopped on CalaisAire last Tuesday night plenty of vans a few immigrants wandering around doing no harm. Take pity on them and buy them a big bag of frites to share that's what we do.
We had a good safe nights sleep and a nice cosy feeling from doing a good deed.
Don't understand this terrible fear folk have of them they're just people, plenty far worse of the home grown variety already here.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I agree they are just people and they are struggling, however they are desperate and desperate people are potentially dangerous. seeing all the obvious wealth of people owning motorhomes when they themselves have nothing must add to the desperation to get here to their perceived land of plenty

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We had a similar experience in Cite De Europe 4 years ago when doing our shopping . One of us stayed in the van . No way would we stay there overnight!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hughman on here picked up two last year overnighting there....only discovered when he got to tunnel?

And you will still get mebell saying everything Tickety boo in Calais! lol

We use gravelines as well

There ste so many of these lads there because it works! They manage to get across eventually,..

Last week driving back from weekend in Brighton on M23, overhead sign flashing "pedestrians on motorway" everyone slows right down, big jam and there he was on the hard shoulder walking towards London, as young black lad with a mobile phone calmly sauntering along oblivious of the danger..

But agree with forestboy they are on the whole decent happy young lads, most of them educated and none we have seen are threatening.....
My main worry is I don't want one falling of and being killed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brimo
Mar 28, 2015
Runcorn, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20+ years
To reiterate, I wasn't bothered about them getting under the van because there's nowhere to hang on under there. I was more concerned with them possibly breaking into one of the lockers during the dark hours of the night when the lights have gone out.

I'd rather not take the chance nice lads or not as stated they are desperate !!

Ladylea

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
We stayed in Cite europe on Saturday the 6th June there were 10 other motorhomes there we planned to stay in Wissant aire but it was full by midday a few other motorhomes ended up in Cite Europe also finding the aire at Wissant full. We saw only 2 migrants walking around about 6 o clock . Had a good nights sleep and left earlier next morning for the tunnel. No sign of any migrants there.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Stopped on CalaisAire last Tuesday night plenty of vans a few immigrants wandering around doing no harm. Take pity on them and buy them a big bag of frites to share that's what we do.
We had a good safe nights sleep and a nice cosy feeling from doing a good deed.
Don't understand this terrible fear folk have of them they're just people, plenty far worse of the home grown variety already here.

Laudible sentiments,yes they are just people, desperate people who don't live by our standards. I wonder if the terrible fear you speak of is caused by the knowledge that there are regular riots and fighting with weapons between these people and the knowledge that they desperate people who in most cases have come from countries where this is no rule of law and has for many years been little regard for others. I don't wonder that some motorhomes would imagine that given what they have gone through and the way they live, these people wouldn't think twice, given the opportunity to break into a motorhome and take whatever they can, to try to secrete themselves in or on it.

I really do pity them and their predicament. But when it comes down to it I would apply what I believe is their own code of conduct. Me and mine come first and look out anyone who threatens that.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Back from Germany yesterday by light aircraft and I overflew Calais and the amount of plastic/tarpaulins/tin huts in the wooded area close to there is staggering. French definitely dragging their heels and the governments of Europe need to get together and define a strategy of solving this. While I have sympathy for these emigrants, it is nothing more than economic migration of people.
Don't know how it can be done but it needs addressing earlier in their journey rather than attempting to prevent entry at a French-England bottleneck.

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We have always tried to arrange our Ferry crossings to avoid overnighting at Calais.
We live about 4 hrs from Dover,so,set off around lunchtime,overnight at Dover.Get early ferry (0900 ish),land at Calais and drive to the Auchan at St Omer to shop and get fuel and LPG if needed,then drive a couple of hours to wherever we decide to spend first night.
On return journey we like to spend a couple of nights at Wimereux (Municipal camp site) wander along the promenade,have nice lunch and evening meal/s.On 'Ferry Day' we leave after breakfast, go to Auchan at St Omer do a major shop,fill up with fuel,replenish LPG tank if necessary,have lunch then drive to Calais for mid afternoon ferry. (y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I always timed my travels so my overnight stop was about 2 hours from Calais. No migrant gangs that far away. Then a two hour drive to Calais to get on train. I would never stay near Calais overnight...

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Watch out watch out the Bogeymans about
Sleep with one eye open or he'll get you
Can often be seen late at night in Calais France
Sometimes with a gas cannister under his arm.
bogeyman.jpeg

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Back from Germany yesterday by light aircraft and I overflew Calais and the amount of plastic/tarpaulins/tin huts in the wooded area close to there is staggering. French definitely dragging their heels and the governments of Europe need to get together and define a strategy of solving this. While I have sympathy for these emigrants, it is nothing more than economic migration of people.
Don't know how it can be done but it needs addressing earlier in their journey rather than attempting to prevent entry at a French-England bottleneck.

You didn't think a couple of Bombing runs were in order ? :D
& yes you are quite right it needs addressing as they leave the African coast & stopped there.

Me, I always use Dunkirk & the last person who looked in to my motorhome door window (Santander along front 1984) ended up with a fractured skull when he fell of the rear step.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Its a great pity for the populace having these migrants constantly wandering about, and especially the traders in Calais who must be suffering a dramatic loss in turnover.

We always used to enjoy a day in Calais before we came home. Now we tend to use the tunnel or Dunquerk when we cross the channel.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
bugger the Frites, time to man the machine gun posts, hee hee
We'll fight them on the beaches...................................etc.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Watch out watch out the Bogeymans about
Sleep with one eye open or he'll get you
Can often be seen late at night in Calais France
Sometimes with a gas cannister under his arm.View attachment 65886
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Whatever you personal view of these people is, and as I said in a previous post I applaud your sentiments. There are many, me included, who see them rightly or wrongly as a potential to cause problems to motorhomers, either by theft or hanging on the Motorhomes in an attempt to get to the UK. I would not feel comfortable walking around Calais at night either. These people have nothing so one wonders how they live, eat etc. and as has also been said they have nothing to loose. It is well known that some of them are happy to use violence against each other and also well known that lorry drivers are avoiding Calais because of them. Are all these roughly toughty lorry drivers who see migrant problems on a day basis just being silly or alarmist. I think not.

If it's what you were doing I don't think comparing any perceived threat from migrants is really comparable to "gassing" and I wonder if comparing the understandable and reasonable concerns of many motorhomers to fear of "bogeymen" is just taking the P. On the other hand perhaps you were just joking

So if it's your want to carry on giving out chips and congratulating yourself for doing so I wish you well. Personally I, like others, will avoid Calais and sleep soundly in the knowledge that rather than being an alarmist, I am just being prudent in the face of an obvious (to me) potential problem.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
We stayed in Cite europe on Saturday the 6th June there were 10 other motorhomes there we planned to stay in Wissant aire but it was full by midday a few other motorhomes ended up in Cite Europe also finding the aire at Wissant full. We saw only 2 migrants walking around about 6 o clock . Had a good nights sleep and left earlier next morning for the tunnel. No sign of any migrants there.

we also stopped sat night. did see migrant check out under coach but thought better of it [drivers all standing around taking no notice] police also spoke with migrants in the late afternoon. but all in all did not feel threatened at all and was not approached. like others have said looks like French are happy to lose a few. it was harder to get out of brity than it was to get back in !!

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I must say that it is nice to see a thread like this get to two pages without a post describing them as free loading scum and the dregs of the earth. Most of them are incredibly naïve young men with a code of ethics that would put many of us to shame. Of course they are not ALL like that, but in no way should we be in fear of them.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that there isn't a problem.

Dick

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Whatever you personal view of these people is, and as I said in a previous post I applaud your sentiments. There are many, me included, who see them rightly or wrongly as a potential to cause problems to motorhomers, either by theft or hanging on the Motorhomes in an attempt to get to the UK. I would not feel comfortable walking around Calais at night either. These people have nothing so one wonders how they live, eat etc. and as has also been said they have nothing to loose. It is well known that some of them are happy to use violence against each other and also well known that lorry drivers are avoiding Calais because of them. Are all these roughly toughty lorry drivers who see migrant problems on a day basis just being silly or alarmist. I think not.

If it's what you were doing I don't think comparing any perceived threat from migrants is really comparable to "gassing" and I wonder if comparing the understandable and reasonable concerns of many motorhomers to fear of "bogeymen" is just taking the P. On the other hand perhaps you were just joking

So if it's your want to carry on giving out chips and congratulating yourself for doing so I wish you well. Personally I, like others, will avoid Calais and sleep soundly in the knowledge that rather than being an alarmist, I am just being prudent in the face of an obvious (to me) potential problem.

Oh dear it was just a light hearted bit of fun hence the laughing Smilies at the bottom. Maybe you didn't get it.
Never mind good job we're all different eh.:)
You see criminals and danger I see an opportunity to talk to or help someone a bit different from the norm. The number of vans still using Calais Aire shows I'm not alone.(y)(y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
brimo
Mar 28, 2015
Runcorn, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20+ years
I'm surprised all was quiet on the Saturday night the 6th when it wasn't very pleasant there on Friday 5th. But whatever, I've made people aware that there was a problem there at the time. I'm not a scaremonger, we've stayed there dozens of times and have parked all over Europe but last Friday night at Citie Europe was a bit un-nerving.

Be safe people and enjoy your travels.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I'm surprised all was quiet on the Saturday night the 6th when it wasn't very pleasant there on Friday 5th. But whatever, I've made people aware that there was a problem there at the time. I'm not a scaremonger, we've stayed there dozens of times and have parked all over Europe but last Friday night at Citie Europe was a bit un-nerving.

Be safe people and enjoy your travels.

I am glad you highlighted your concerns for everyones information. It is important people make an informed choice on these matters.The attached might be interesting, although I am not regular reader of this publication and cannot vouch for its authenticity, I thought it interesting to hear what the drivers were saying. Particularly about their fears of threats.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/58...ways-food-Port-of-Dover-law-migration-UKIP-EU

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back