Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
'I can't believe it' as Victor Meldrew would say.

Looking for my first motorhome my Son and I travelled from Essex to Malvern, no mean feat but the motorhome advertised seemed to be worth the mileage.

Arrangements were made with seller on Wednesday evening to view yesterday. The seller knew we were travelling from Essex to Malvern so not a short distance by any means and it took us the best part of 3.4 hours jut to get there.

When the advert appeared on Wednesday 10th it was £29995.
The understanding by us that the price was the amount he was expecting.
Having looked over the motorhome I offered £28000, which was refused, I expected that, so I offered the full asking price £29995. I was prepared to hand over a deposit, shake hands on it and the deal would be done. The seller said he had other viewings and expected to get offers above the advertised price of £29995. Basically although he didn't accept my offer of the full asking price he is prepared to try a gazumping process.
I informed him I was not prepared to get into a bidding war and as he had advertised it at £29995 that should be it. To do this practice is totally out of order and that is why I am writing this.

Having returned home and looked again on the Autotrader website he has increased it to £33000 !!!

The point being that we went all that way preparing to pay the asking price only to find he had no intention of selling at that price and it seems like misrepresentation an I can't believe anyone could do that, also he was a member also the Caravan Club, perhaps right or wrong I assumed members be decent people.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
CC members are just people like every one else, some are good some aren't. He's obviously had a good response to his advert, and thinks he's advertised it to cheap.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would love to see it still for sale in a few weeks time and you can then offer £27K :D

But seriously if he had made a mistake, what he should have done is call you to say the price was wrong then you have the choice of going or not

What MH is he selling, was it really under priced?

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Perhaps he isn't bothered about selling it , just trying it to see how much he can get, if he gets a big enough offer let it go, is he some sort of back street dealer. Being a member of cc is neither here or there.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That's disgusting. I wouldn't have been happy at all & would be using the " ask a question " facility on the ebay add to point it out !

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No one said this wAs on eBay did they? If this is the case , was it a biding advert, in which case the seller was in the right.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I dont agree with him putting the price up, BUT you thought it perfectly reasonable to try and knock him down by £2000. Whats the difference ?.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I dont agree with him putting the price up, BUT you thought it perfectly reasonable to try and knock him down by £2000. Whats the difference ?.

Its part of the fun of haggling. We always place anything we are selling higher knowing full well 9 times out of 10 we will be cut down.
I think the seller was bang out of order and think of the wasted fuel costs incurred by the OP.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Think you got of lightly...sounds a dodgy character. Incidentally how old and what make was the van. Basically what's payload like and had there been a damp survey...hell of a load of lemons out here!

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Think you got of lightly...sounds a dodgy character. Incidentally how old and what make was the van. Basically what's payload like and had there been a damp survey...hell of a load of lemons out here!
Wouldn't have thought there was much up with it or he would have been glad to get rid

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its part of the fun of haggling. We always place anything we are selling higher knowing full well 9 times out of 10 we will be cut down.
I think the seller was bang out of order and think of the wasted fuel costs incurred by the OP.

I understand haggling having been involved with one sort of dealing or another all my life. But dont complain when it does not go in your favour. I already said I do not agree with the seller putting the price up which I think is out of order, some sellers do not like to have the micky taken by potential purchasers trying it on. If a seller has set the price realistic, which in this case it obviously was as the potential purchaser was willing to pay the full price, why try and beat him down.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

'Sellers remorse' ....he's had a lot of enquiries/ interest, thinks he is selling too cheap especially as you offered full asking price............ sold my van a year ago, had two people interested and I got the asking price and was happy... he may regret turning down your offer, selling MHs is not always that easy

:)

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Is this the one?

Broken Link Removed

Not good practice especially when he knew you were travelling some distance :mad:

Thanks Antony

very well found that man (y)

the seller clearly has a different interpretation of 'best offer' maybe he is Scottish, their house selling system seems to go along these lines

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Is this the one?

Broken Link Removed

Not good practice especially when he knew you were travelling some distance :mad:

Thanks Antony
If this is the advert , he's right but it is a bit backwards , the first price you would take as offers upto that price not over, but the higher price does indicate he wants more

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I might offer the knobhead 35k and dick him about by arranging to meet up and obviously not turn up, see how he likes it when he's wasted his money
The asking price was 30k, if he's made a mistake then he should have done his research before wasting other peoples time and hard earned dollar

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The fact his opening price is only a fiver short of £30,000 suggests to me he was trying to grab peoples' attention with a view to increasing the price if a lot of people responded. I mean seriously, who cares about the odd fiver when buying a motorhome? If he wanted an auction he should have auctioned it.

I think the seller was out of order - the seller should name a price and either stick to it or drop it a bit. If some dickhead at a car boot sale says "What do you want to pay me for it?" I walk away.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What a disappointment.. the seller may well be within his legal rights to refuse the offer, but ethically and morally ? .. IMO wrong..
Looking at similar vans for sale, he is now looking for the same price as a dealer.. greed comes to mind.. he may well live to regret his decision.

@DavidG58
Not sure where the Scottish reference means .. but back in the 70s, I sold my house to emigrate to RSA .. Without even advertising, word got round it was up for sale and a buyer came to the door, offered me £9k, (I paid only £3.5 a few years earlier so thought it a good offer) .. so I accepted , a shake of the hand sealed the deal..

I had lots of other callers who offered more but I never broke my word.. selling a house in Scotland a hand shake seals a deal.. not so in England where gazumping is almost a sport

Upvote 0

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
Is this the one?

Broken Link Removed

Thanks Antony
If that is the one then I`d be wary as the photo`s have a different Reg No (VRN) on number 1 and 20 ? ,or is that the reason for the price increase as you get 2 vehicles and numbers for the price of one ! :)

Upvote 0

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
Aah just read the advert and it does mention the VRN not being included DOH

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@DavidG58
Not sure where the Scottish reference means ..

I am sure I have seen wording on Scottish house sales along the lines of 'offers around' which in Scotland seems to mean offers over, houses rarely seem to sell for the advertised prices in Scotland, just an observation (or possibly something I have dreamt up) :)

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I am sure I have seen wording on Scottish house sales along the lines of 'offers around' which in Scotland seems to mean offers over, houses rarely seem to sell for the advertised prices in Scotland, just an observation (or possibly something I have dreamt up) :)

No you didn't dream it David, though most I have seen say offers in excess of and then purely making an offer is deemed as contractual so you really have to have the funds in place before opening your mouth up there, but it avoids all the Gazumping that can occur elsewhere.

Upvote 0
M

Madwife

Deleted User
At the moment David although houses may have offers over it is possible to make an offer under the asking price and get it - depending of course on local market. There are a good few houses near us that if reasonable offers under the price were made I am sure they would accept as have been on the market for years. It is even accepted that with fixed price houses a lower offer can be made (and accepted)

Kath

Upvote 0
M

Madwife

Deleted User
No you didn't dream it David, though most I have seen say offers in excess of and then purely making an offer is deemed as contractual so you really have to have the funds in place before opening your mouth up there, but it avoids all the Gazumping that can occur elsewhere.
Although it Is thought that once you make an offer and it accepted in Scotland that the deal is binding that is not the case. We made and had an offer accepted for a house but several weeks down the line the adjoining landowner who had a covanant to do with the land which the house sat on had made so many strange email requests to our solicitor that I asked if we could get out of the deal. My solicitor said yes and the deal was cancelled with no loss to us.

Kath

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Hi,:hi: so sorry to hear of your wasted trip, hope he ends up having to sell it cheaper than the price you were going to give him.:roflmto:. I am a true believer in it wasn't meant to be, there's a far better van out there with your name on it(y) and you never know there could have been all kinds wrong with it. (hope there was) Best of luck and hope you find what you are looking for good hunting. Mew & Mick

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just had a shuftie on autotrader and there are quite a few Nuevos on there and he seems to be asking way over what he should for it now, regardless of mileage, as there are a few dealers with some for less and obviously you get their back-up facilities too (and they WILL haggle!).

Broken Link Removed

Personally I'd be wary of a MH that has only done 5,500 miles in what could be nearly 6 years as it means it's hardly moved so issues such as 'square' tyres could crop up etc... me I'd rather have one with a bit of mileage instead.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Well I've always advertised goods at the price I would like to get ( in an ideal world) but with a figure in mind that I am prepared to drop to. Unless it's on eBay, then I start lower and hope it goes up. Maybe I,m doing it wrong?

I don't think the seller was very fair, particularly in view of your journey. He should have rung you and given you the chance to back out or increase your offer to the price he felt more reasonable. Not a good way to conduct a sale in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back