Low Profile Versus Overhead Cab (1 Viewer)

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Just surfing the dealers with a niggling voice telling me to buy a new motorhome. I was looking at the main types the A class and overhead cab models make sense to me, but I can't seem to see the main selling point of a Low Profile. You lose out on another double bed overhead or the storage space.

Low profile owners out I am sure I am missing something, please set me straight.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A class and overhead cab models

that is C class

A class don't have a luton, but many have drop down cab beds. . eg Hymers.

to answer the question .. low profile get better MPG, are not affected so much by cross winds.. and IMO look far better than many with a bulbous Luton body

EDIT

may have misunderstood your post ..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
had an overcab when we traveled as a family...no need anymore as kids adults and do their own thing... fuel consumption was much worse as well & handling atrocious.

The good thing is it can keep overall length resonable

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've got an overhead bed which we find very useful as storage, having removed the mattress
We just completed a 3000 mile journey and returned over 28 mpg
The van is 7.6m long

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Ours has a drop down bed above the dining area so no need for overcab one

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Ours has a drop down bed above the dining area so no need for overcab one
Is there enough headroom to sit up in bed and read?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our first van had a Luton which we didn't fancy sleeping in so was only used for storage. Our current van is low profile which has equivalent storage underneath the fixed bed.
low profile get better MPG, are not affected so much by cross winds.. and IMO look far better than many with a bulbous Luton body
Agreed.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Some overhead cabs are incorporated beatifully. Some aren't :rofl:

UglyLuton.png

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
To me a low profile is like a broken pencil... pointless.

A Class with drop down bed, dinette, and rear lounge ROOLs.

JJ :cool:

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
1. Able to sit up in all beds
2, able to get into all beds EASILY
3. difficult to fall out of beds
4. If you did fall out of bed it won't hurt too much or disturb other sleepers too much
5. Better fuel consumption
6. opening roof light immediately above driver and passenger ensures fabulous through flow of air without buffeting
7. Still some storage overhead which can be accessed from the driver/passenger seats whilst travelling (not whilst driving of course!)
8. Less susceptible to cross winds
9. Aesthetically more pleasing
10. less expensive than an A-class

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
We have a low profile with a bed that comes down over the seating area and a fixed bed at the rear, the front bed comes down low, only need a step ladder with 3 rungs on it all in 7.5mtrs
IMO an A class looks like a library bus with an 18foot dashboard, wasted space but everyone to there own
Also think the low profile more aesthetically pleasing, but not to everyone
image.jpg

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Firstly I should say that we are a couple with no kids. We had a C class 2 berth low profile (Autotrail Savannah) with twin fixed beds. We now have a A class Pilote with fixed island bed and drop down bed over cab .......................................... I really miss all the internal storage I had in the Autotrail which was situated over the cab area. However our fixed island bed in the Pilote is the D.Bs. Another consideration is whether you have a dog or dogs. In our Autotrail we had loads of floor space for the dogs. We not longer have them (boo hooo) and I don't think we could have a dog much bigger than a Yorkshire terrier in the Pilote due to the lack of floor space. As always there are lots of considerations and compromises in choosing your motorhome.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Is there enough headroom to sit up in bed and read?
We have a fixed bed over the garage at the back also, to answer your question yes I think it must be at least 3feet from mattress to ceiling I'm just a bit over 6foot and have no problem sitting up. We are selling though to just a double over the garage

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Only slept in the Luton a few times in 8 years with our pervious van, it made a bloody good shed in the end.

Reactions: Jim

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If you have to take kids, an over cab bed is a godsend. You just let them have their little world up there and have no worries. No need to be cleaning up after them or constantly making beds. At bed time, you chuck 'em up there, pull the curtain and still have your lounge to yourself before you retire to bed.
These low profiles with drop down beds are a stupid idea for family motorhoming.

If we didn't need to take kids, we would have a low profile or A class.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've got an overhead bed which we find very useful as storage, having removed the mattress

As with Robert we've removed the mattress in our Hi-line Auto-trail to use as a storage area particularly for the lighter bulky things like the part side couch base and cushions from the half-dinette, big winter jackets, etc, etc..........

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Overcab works well for me had best nights sleep in 30 years last week in pembs. And i do like to read aswell.

Fatwheels

Free Member
Apr 24, 2015
Sittingbourne
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Exp
I'm a newbie
On the autotrail scout we ordered the high line as we wanted the over cab bed for the kids but it is only 3 inches taller than the low line figure that one out

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
It's personal choice. We have a fixed rear bed 7ft X 5ft and a drop down bed in the front of the same size if needed. Easy to get into got its own skylight, lights and you can sit up in it. I personally don't like the look of the Luton type overhang. Ok if you have kids for the extra space and it's like a camp for them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back