Rear Mounted Bike Racks. (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I need to fit a cycle rack to the rear panel of the m/h with the intention of carrying 2 standard bikes . I am a bit concerned about the weight that will be put on the panel with regards to possible movement and water ingress into the sealed joints. I have seen plenty of m/h with racks on and was wondering if
Any one has any serious issues with them.

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
I haven't got a bike rack yet so can't answer your specific question, but I have been looking at tow-bar mounted racks. That could be an option you could consider if you have a tow-bar :)

Someone will be along with more info I am sure!

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have a 2-bike Fiamma rack mounted on the rear panel of mine and it seems secure enough. However it was already fitted when I bought the van, otherwise I would have got either a towbar-mounted rack or one which winds down as its a bit of a pain to get the steps out every time to take it off/put it on along with the cover. The plus side is it makes it harder to be stolen :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We had a 4 bike one on our last van.

The weight was too much for the bracket. The rack started to come away from the van halfway across Spain one year which meant loading the bikes inside the van.

Same trip the fuel filter broke and diesel was spewing out when we arrived at our Spanish site.

Eventually got onto our pitch, stinking of diesel then began to unload.

Two adults, two kids and four bikes.

Got some funny looks from our neighbours.:LOL:

I would go for a tow bar one next time if weight allowed it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The biggest issue with wall mounted bike carriers is many people overload them. This does warp the wall and strain the fixing points leading to leaks. have seen many of them over the years and its something I pay particular attention to when buying used vans

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The biggest issue with wall mounted bike carriers is many people overload them. This does warp the wall and strain the fixing points leading to leaks. have seen many of them over the years and its something I pay particular attention to when buying used vans

I don't think we overloaded ours to be honest.

It was the ramps on the ferry ( in my opinion) that put too much strain on the rack/ brackets

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I don't think we overloaded ours to be honest.

It was the ramps on the ferry ( in my opinion) that put too much strain on the rack/ brackets
put 40kg plus of bikes on a rack bolted through the wall in 4 points and every time you go over a bump, the bouncing of the bikes and rack will overload it. max weight on a fiamma rack is 45kg from memory. 2 adult bikes and 2 kids bikes has got to be more than that, unless they are ultralightweight racing bikes. put my son-in-laws bike in the back of my 4x4 the other week and it must of been near 2okg to lift and is a normal mountain type bike

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
put 40kg plus of bikes on a rack bolted through the wall in 4 points and every time you go over a bump, the bouncing of the bikes and rack will overload it. max weight on a fiamma rack is 45kg from memory. 2 adult bikes and 2 kids bikes has got to be more than that, unless they are ultralightweight racing bikes. put my son-in-laws bike in the back of my 4x4 the other week and it must of been near 2okg to lift and is a normal mountain type bike

I think our rack limit was 60 kg , but either way I agree that bumps and ramps possibly double the strain.

Not tempted to get another bracket mounted one.

OP
OP
Zajacp
Sep 11, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Thank for all your recent replies, my concerns have been answered .i think I'll go for a tow ball set up and leave the structure of the van alone.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Properly mounted with the correct rack and professionaly fitted, mounted bike racks should not be a problem, max load on a Fiamma is normally 60Kg

We have fitted many without problems

Peter

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Doesn't towing further limit your speed (says the M5 driver ;))?
We are a family of 6, with a factory fitted fiamma 4-bike rack. It's rated for 60kg but as most folks have pointed out, less expensive steel mountain bikes will come in at around 16-20kg.
We have the lightest 3 on the back, smallest one with all the other paraphernalia in the garage and the other 2 secured inside the van with an impressive feat of bubble wrap/bungee engineering.
You should be fine with just 2 on the back wall, surely?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Doesn't towing further limit your speed (says the M5 driver ;))?
We are a family of 6, with a factory fitted fiamma 4-bike rack. It's rated for 60kg but as most folks have pointed out, less expensive steel mountain bikes will come in at around 16-20kg.
We have the lightest 3 on the back, smallest one with all the other paraphernalia in the garage and the other 2 secured inside the van with an impressive feat of bubble wrap/bungee engineering.
You should be fine with just 2 on the back wall, surely?

I am sure it's fine.

Just keep an eye on it though just in case.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I've never really liked rear mounted bike racks. Give the aerodynamics of most vehicles you end up giving your bikes a 1000 mile sandblasting that penetrative the best bike covers! With my bikes worth nearly £3000, not something I want to inflict on them. Also IMO most Motorhome rear mounted racks look very easy to remove with a couple of strong bodies to support it, while another cuts Rack complete with bikes off. So make sure strong chain secures everything to the chassis.

I've had a tow ball rack, that worked well, except for the dirt issue and again security. You also lose the use of your tow ball.

When I had a Land Rover and Caravan rig, I purchased from Land Rover a bracket that fitted between the car and tow ball, then a separate bike Rack dropped dropped into the bracket, so I could tow the caravan and carry my bikes.

I admit that my bikes influenced my Motorhome choice, a garage big enough for my bikes was high on my list of requirements.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Towing and bike rack.

Don't forget you will need a number plate and lights bar to stay legal.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Had 3 vans ALL with rear fitted Fiamma 2 bike rack and no problems at all.
Good luck.
Mitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back