Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
image.jpg
6 weeks round France covering 3600 miles since left home end of April and get to Strsthclyde CC site last night 200 miles from home and get bad burning smell at about 9.30pm then no power from leasure or van battery
Disconnect both batteries and used EHU only and recovered this morning at 2nd attempt !!! First truck too bloody small
Now waiting to hear from the dealer as too how we get repair done as due off again at end of month for 4 weeks

What a welcome back to the UK

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
So sorry to hear of the problem. Hope you get it sorted soon and that it is a simple, cheap and quick fix.

The bright spot is that you did not have to be recovered 1,000 miles away from home - I suppose.

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
Horrible feeling, had it last year in France, we had 3 lorrys that were too small though LOL. Hope your sorted soon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sympathies, puts our little problems over gas in perspective. But at least it happened close to home!

Many years ago I had an engine literally fall out of a car, failed engine mount, the sump was dragging on the road.

Rang the RAC and told them it needed a flat bed to recover me. They sent a guy on a motorcycle!

But it kept their statistics for responding on track...

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sorry to hear that but as others have said far better closer to home.
Just an aside with all these threads about "weight". In your photograph I just cannot see that the recovery truck cannot be overloaded on the rear axle? Especially when you note how much of your MH is behind his axle !

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi gus-lopez.
Take it from me......... "It's an optical illusion officer" ....... And OFF you go....LOL
Tea Bag

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
After seeing the wiring on my van , I pity the person that has to sort out electrics on any van !
Hope it gets sorted soon for you .
How did you enjoy France ? , we're going on the 28th for 6 weeks .(y)

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
According to the driver it can carry 5ton !!! I saw a plate that said " max load 3.5!!!
Dealer who is 175miles away has agreed that MH can go into local dealer who I know and trust next week so time will tell how easy it is or not
ColinW as for France I have mixed feelings
Loved the Country ( been many time without MH) but found that getting about and parking a large MH rather stressful at time especially when sat nav packing in first week there
Too many villages that we wanted to visit had 3.5t restrictions !!! But will go back at some point and give it another go
Hope you enjoy your beak

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Too many villages that we wanted to visit had 3.5t restrictions !!! But will go back at some point and give it another go
Hope you enjoy your beak

i thought the 3.5t restriction only applied to trucks etc -not motorhomes. I understand the 3.5t limit was to stop lorries etc going thru the villages:cautious:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
i thought the 3.5t restriction only applied to trucks etc -not motorhomes. I understand the 3.5t limit was to stop lorries etc going thru the villages:cautious:

I am not taking any chances, got caught on a 'technicality' many years ago in France, not risking it again, they like our cash and plenty of it at the roadside, cost me 700 euros

Bypass for me every time. sometimes if there is a lorry symbol I might take a chance but not if only the number 3.5T

To OP, glad things are getting sorted (y)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Hope it gets sorted soon, not a nice experience :(

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Hi Camocam, had similar problems last year with our Bailey Approach when in Benidorm, we were wakened up by the smoke alarm going off !! Once out of bed I discovered the cause of it going off. It was the RCB/12v leisure battery smoking and giving off fumes had no 12v power !! the 240 was alright as was the vehicle battery, we were only two weeks into a ten week holiday !!.
Called Bailey after having it checked by the guy below who happened to be onsite and we had made friends over a few drinks.
Fell out with them as they said I had to go via the dealers, told them that I was in Spain and they had better get a replacement sent to me, it took 8 days to arrive !!
Bill fitted it for me and did the attached report (this was copied to Bailey's and the Dealer
Was also informed by the dealer that this is a known fault and since then the dealer has given up on Bailey motorhomes and no longer sells them.
The report given to Bailey's was never replied too and upon our return to the UK we sold ours as we both felt very unsafe with and I could not sleep that well ever again.
I sincerely hope that you get your motorhome sorted asap and also hope that the copy of Bills letter will give you added leverage.
Regards
Tom & Jen

Date of Report; 01.09.2014
Date of Inspection; 31.08.2014
Place of inspection; Orange Grove Camping Site, Benidorm. Spain
With regards to your concern of a possible electrical fault as per vehicle details in heading above, I can confirm that;
Findings;
A. The 240v/12v mains switch is tripping at the "Consumer Board".
B. A visual electrical inspection at the "Consumer Board" showed severe burning at the cable connections to the 240v/12v transformer.
C. A direct short between +Ve and -Ve exists at point "B" above.
D. The smell of burning is clearly present around the "Consumer Board".
E. Without performing an intrusive test the root cause is most probable being a poor electrical connection from cable to 12v transformer resulting in overheating thus partial discharge leading to full discharge and burning.
Recommendations;
A. Remove the damaged "Consumer Board".
B. Test vehicle electrics.
C. Install new "Consumer Board".
D. Test electrical performance of the "Consumer Board".
Safety recommendations;
A. Do not attempt to switch on the 240v/12v mains switch at point "A" (Findings), this could result in further damage to the vehicle electrics, and surrounding area of the "Consumer Board". The12v supply is just now unavailable to you but cannot be avoided until a new "Consumer Board" is installed and tested.
Your bill will be sent accordingly.
Please contact me should you need further information.
Regards
William Lygate (MSc Electrical Eng, BEng (Hons) Electronics)
Lygate Systems (UK) Ltd
Mobile; 07584658345

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Cheers Tjay
Our problem is definitely related to the rear lights as the traylar socket not working now either. When this happened we had no lights on drivers side rear but yesterday we had breaklights today none but we have indicators !!
The power feed to the truma heater for some reason runs up through the lighting ducting so problem at the moment is
Is it a Peugeot fault
Or a Bailey fault
As both wires are burned
Hopefully the local guy will be able to fix it as Im lost as never seen so many wires in one small space
Have to say I am beginning to loose confidence in the van so may sell it once fixed despite not having had it a year !!! Will be a big hit on the picket

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back