A Question For All Rottweiler Owners (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
After a long and brave battle with the after effects of poisoning, our beloved Labrador Bonnie passed away at the weekend.

My wife and I have always wanted a Rottweiler, and we are totally in love with the breed, consequently, we believe that our next family member will be a rottie. Our question is, how well do they adapt to motorhome life? They are after all big dogs who love their excercise, which obviously when the destination is reached they can have. Do they deal with the journeys OK?

Experiences both good and bad welcomed, we want to make sure we have covered all bases before we take the plunge.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
from experience, they are not particularly heat tolerant and tend to drool a lot when in cars/vans

gorgeous affectionate and loyal dogs, which as you mention need masses of exercise. to me though, a little bit large to take away in a motorhome, plus some camp sites are bigoted against the breed

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Friends of ours have one and he doesnt travel too well. I do agree with the point about biggot sites as a lot of sites do ban what they class as dangerous dogs without any knowledge of the breed. It is such a shame as my experience is rotties are such softies and my little cairn bosses toby around!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
The drooling we can deal with, and our Lab really didn't like the heat, so we are well prepared for that. Let her loose near an ice covered lake and she'd be in it like a shot though :D
We have already experienced a lot of bigotry from ill informed people telling us that a rottweiler will eat our daughter, seriously!
The travel point is the important one, if they don't travel well, that may be a no no. I shall await more replies.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Slightly off-topic but I was one of those people who thought Rottweilers were dangerous, horrid dogs until I met one belonging to a hippy Dutch motorhomer (Pete) and his girlfriend at Praia da Rocha last year.

Simply the best trained, friendliest yet respectful, dog (bitch actually) I have ever met.

And Pete didn't need to lock his stuff up every five minutes. The dog sat outside in the shade and nothing got pinched.

Pete only had a small van but Miss Rotty seemed well happy.

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Even more off topic @JJ I love Praia Da Rocha, lovely area.

Back on topic, we never go abroad with our dogs, they stay at home, the pet passport just seems an almighty faff, and Mother loves looking after our dogs, so they stay home while we go away.

Jackyboy61

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
My daughter has a roty and it does not travel well, it craps and pukes everywhere whether in the back of the disco or in there horse wagon they are not good travellers ,buy yourself a ridgeback they travel well and can stand the heat and they are excellent guard dogs but very gentle dogs to have around the Motorhome and the house

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
My daughter has a roty and it does not travel well, it craps and pukes everywhere whether in the back of the disco or in there horse wagon they are not good travellers ,buy yourself a ridgeback they travel well and can stand the heat and they are excellent guard dogs but very gentle dogs to have around the Motorhome and the house
Are you psychic? Ridgeback was our other breed on the short list! (y)

Jackyboy61

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
They also have a wire hair dachshund , but that goes to sleep as soon as the engine starts , anyway good luck with whatever you purchase

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you plan on travelling abroad check out which dogs are allowed and those which can go but then have to be muzzled etc.

I've only ever met lovely friendly Rotties, also Staffies, but both breeds have restrictions placed on them abroad.

Sep 11, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
We had one a few years ago and it was the most loyal dog we have ever had,to the point where we became unapproachable .he used to travel with me in my work van with out any problems,but no one could go near my van.when he reached the age of 3 he became to dominant and would become aggressive .talking to other breaders this is the age when you know weather you have a good dog or a unpredictable one . Good luck and don't be put off by any comments.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I know somebody who had 4 Rotties
They all died at an early age from cancer
Apparently they don't have very long life spans

Sep 15, 2013
East Grinstead
Funster No
MH
A Class
Lexi is our second Rottie. She is now 12. Travellers with us in the UK never had an issue at any camp site She was with us at the Thetford rally. She loves to travel. However seen as a dangerous dog in Spain. In France they are seen as guard dogs which is a class lower than dangerous dog. In France you are supposed to register them in every village you go to. This is why we have not taken her with to France

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Are you psychic? Ridgeback was our other breed on the short list! (y)
Strange...we have a Ridgeback Rottie cross, the most fantastic dog ever had but he can be a real handful at times. Extremely obedient intelligent and trainable but unbelievable escape artists and very territorial. Once established in a home he will guard it 24/7. He is not a good traveler though, he hates it.
Bruno 2.PNG

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Rottweilers are dangerous, vicious evil dogs.......

Look what happened to me in Rottweil, Bavaria a few weeks ago :eek:

P1240049.jpg

karl c

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
We have a Rottie cross He is great loves the RV and lets us no if there is anyone around.:)

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 13

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Strange...we have a Ridgeback Rottie cross, the most fantastic dog ever had but he can be a real handful at times. Extremely obedient intelligent and trainable but unbelievable escape artists and very territorial. Once established in a home he will guard it 24/7. He is not a good traveler though, he hates it.
View attachment 65723
What a beautiful dog you have there.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
How far does Lexi get with the chair in tow before you catch him???? :LOL:

Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
this is our third rottie ruby our last. bonnie died in france age 5 . 1,100 fine if no muzzle in france. in spain i think its 400 fine.
SDC10002.JPG
all rotties i have had abroad and they were fine traveling . this one i have has a bit of a diffrent nature to the others agressive with other dogs . great traveling in the uk. but to much hassle abroad.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Lol yes it looks like she is attached to the chair but there is actually a ground anchor
And how much of the ground would she take with her? :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back