Alugas Expiry Date Question. (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
What do you do when the gas bottle reaches it's expiry date,does it get tested or do you need to buy a new one?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is the info not on the Alugas site ?

I have Gaslow. .. they say
After 10 years you must return your cylinder to a Gaslow dealer who will exchange it and charge a replacement fee.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
What do you do when the gas bottle reaches it's expiry date,does it get tested or do you need to buy a new one?

Interesting Question.... I don't know the answer... But I am considering fitting Alugas..

So may I ask what the "life-span" of said bottles are? :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
This is a very good question.
Checking the internet...In Australia, BBQ gas bottles must be tested every ten years. It is illegal to fill a gas bottle that is past its expiry date but you are allowed to use it, past the expiry date, if it still contains gas..... which ties up with the Gaslow answer but I wonder how many old calor, gaz and other bottles have been 'rescued' with no idea of its age and happily sitting in vans at this very moment.
Regulators have a 4 year lifespan, or so they say.
Alan

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
The cylinder should be re-tested on the date shown on the cylinder. Quote Alugas fact sheet.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Is the info not on the Alugas site ?

I have Gaslow. .. they say
After 10 years you must return your cylinder to a Gaslow dealer who will exchange it and charge a replacement fee.

NO, they say 15 years?

Broken Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
NO, they say 15 years?

Broken Link Removed

.. as I quoted , from this page Broken Link Removed

The Gaslow R67 11kg Refillable Cylinder is designed for installation in your caravan/motorhome locker

They can be filled using the Gaslow Filler Kit at thousands of LPG stations across the UK and Europe
The cylinders are manufactured from steel and carry our full 10 year warranty as requested by the R67 standard.
For complete safety the R67 approved filler valves automatically shut off the gas when the cylinder is 80% full, preventing the dangers associated with overfilling.
It also has an over pressure safety relief valve.
The outlet valve has a built in filter to prevent inpurities in the gas damaging the regulator.
The cylinder has an excess flow valve to restrict the flow of gas if the hose ruptures.
Our new cylinder is fitted with a new mechanically accurate contents gauge.
We recommend using the Gaslow 21.8 LH Stainless Steel Hose to connect to your caravan/motorhome regulator

Capacity (80%): 21 litres
Height: 560mm
Diameter: 304mm
Empty Weight: 12.4kg
Outlet Connection: 21.8LH thread

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
As I understand it the insides don't corrode as there's no oxygen present. As long as my tank looks ok on the outside and doesn't leak I won't be swapping it :)

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Sent an email and got my reply,10 years then re-test plus new valves or replace with new cylinder.Kind of expensive methinks as I had saw 2 bottles for sale at what I thought was a good price but they are dated 2018,so in 3 years time I need to buy new bottles.:unsure:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
A bottle won't suddenly fail just because it reaches its 10th birthday. It lets gas in and lets gas out in a controlled fashion. As far as I know it's not a legal requirement to pressure test bottles at 10 years for domestic gas. A nice little money spinner for the manufacturer/retailer IMHO
I think Jock nows about this stuff?
@JockandRita

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
For the sake of a few KG's it's not worth the expense.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
.. as I quoted , from this page Broken Link Removed

The Gaslow R67 11kg Refillable Cylinder is designed for installation in your caravan/motorhome locker

They can be filled using the Gaslow Filler Kit at thousands of LPG stations across the UK and Europe
The cylinders are manufactured from steel and carry our full 10 year warranty as requested by the R67 standard.
For complete safety the R67 approved filler valves automatically shut off the gas when the cylinder is 80% full, preventing the dangers associated with overfilling.
It also has an over pressure safety relief valve.
The outlet valve has a built in filter to prevent inpurities in the gas damaging the regulator.
The cylinder has an excess flow valve to restrict the flow of gas if the hose ruptures.
Our new cylinder is fitted with a new mechanically accurate contents gauge.
We recommend using the Gaslow 21.8 LH Stainless Steel Hose to connect to your caravan/motorhome regulator

Capacity (80%): 21 litres
Height: 560mm
Diameter: 304mm
Empty Weight: 12.4kg
Outlet Connection: 21.8LH thread

Ok, so they have two different webpages quoting different information, so we are both right & they haven't a clue what they are doing. Don't know about you, but I'm well used to that.

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
The Stako cylinders on the Discovery have a 10-year life, but nothing to say what to do after that 10 years is up.

We inspect our tanks annually for strap and body corrosion, but little deterioration is happening.

The trailer tank is inside and is as good as new, despite being in its fifth season.

Given the requirements for pressure vessels and their testing, I'd have expected something mandatory, especially given the 10 bar filling pressure.

I'd work on the basis of a visual inspection annually if nothing else is available in the way of info from the makers.

Peter

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Its really quite simple, after ten years the cylinder should be inspected and fitted with new valves. As Techno says they are not likely to explode just because they're past their ten year birthday but IT IS A SAFETY ISSUE. How do you know your system is safe and good to use for more years to come? Unless you have it inspected by someone who knows what they're doing you won't know will you?

Calor and other exchange bottle services cylinders are periodically taken out of service (assuming you return them and don't use dodgy adapters to fill them yourself of course) stripped of the valve, cleaned thoroughly, examined thoroughly, new valve fitted and repainted so that Calor and others can ensure their cylinders are safe to continue using.

The inspection and fitting of new valves at ten years applies to all refillable cylinders and tanks as far as I am aware.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back